Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More affordable *quality* sectional -8 way hand tied etc...

Posted by mcfromct (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 14:53

Looking for some recommendations on a more affordable sectional with a kiln-dried hardwood frame, eight-way, hand-tied springs, and down and foam cushions. Can anyone recommend some brands I should look into? I was thinking under $6000 or $7000 but is it true I will probably have to pay a lot more? What are some of the more affordable brands??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More affordable *quality* sectional -8 way hand tied etc...

Have a look at Lee Industries

This post was edited by Freethinker99 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 19:01

o

Depending on how big a sectional you need, if you hit Stickley on sale you might be able to come in around the $7000 range. I spent not all that much more last year for a huge sectional, so if you're not looking huge you could probably get into your price range. Provided you hit them at major sale time.

Another significantly less pricey option is Carolina Chair. I bought a sofa from them, 8 way hand tied, kiln-dried frame, etc. and the quality is excellent. No one who sees that sofa can believe what I paid for it. They are a pleasure to deal with, too. They have limited style options, but if you find one you like I highly recommend them.

o

These suugestions are so helpful. Thank you both so much! I am so appreciative!

o

My last purchase was Key City. All you describe, plus made in USA.

No affiliation other than I got it from one of my customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Key CIty web site

o

CR LAINE is superb and I couldn't say enough about how nice the upholstery comes out. I think it's a hair better than Lee. I sell sets to my clients and everyone loves it. About 20 different craftsman touch each piece. I think you can get under $6,000 for a nice sectional. If you work with a designer, let them know your constraints and if they are like me they will make it work for you.

A rules of thumb to avoid cheap or mass produced upholstery: High quality upholsters always offer highly customizable pieces (since they are bench made and are not pre-fabricated). It's a good sign when there are 3-4 options for cushions and cushioned backs and many finish options. Remember to ask who makes pieces since companies change the names to re-brand. Restoration Hardware for example has a lot of import upholstery. Crate and Barrel is Lee or Michael Gold typically. Pottery Barn is Rowe. CR Laine beats all of these. Another designer brand that's fabulous is TCS but it's only sold through designers.

o

As well as CR Laine, other better quality upholstery manufacturers; Taylor King, Temple, Wesley Hall, Our House Design, consider Karges and Caron who specializes on custom size sectionals with a unique twist on their coil spring seating.
Im not sure that Rowe makes Pottery Barn, As Pottery Barn is a division of Williams-Sonoma and which the upholstery is built in their Sutter Street Plant in Claremont NC.
I would stay clear of Rowe, btw.

o

Thought I would post a picture of my sectional, I turned out great and Maple's Leather was awesome, we really custom sized this and added the stitching ! I am thrilled and it came in about 6 weeks

Here is a link that might be useful: Maples Leather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here