Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reddish teak

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 14:16

Hello all!
I have some nice teak outdoor pieces that were stained by the maker with something dark reddish. Not sure what it was supposed to be, but after 4-5 years it's just butt ugly red/brown.

I've not done anything to this furniture, ever, hoping it would gray with age. I've stopped holding my breath.

Any suggestions on how to change this stain color to a more gray color? I'm afraid if I use a gray wash of some sort, it'll just look pink. OMG would I hate that.

As far as restoring it, I've read tons about it and am ready once I can get the color to something more appealing to me.

Thanks for your ideas!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reddish teak

Teak is rather unique and expensive wood, so I would leave this to a professional stripper. After stripping you can apply a conditioner and preservative formulated for teak.

o

Thank you, but it doesn't need stripping.
After all this time, the wood is weathered and rather raw. It's a reddish stain that I'd like to tone.

C.

o

Real Teak would should not be stained and/or any toners applied. So im not sure why the maker stained it in the first place, because adhesion will be a problem. Most teak is sourced from SE Asia, and from my experience working their, I have yet to see anyone stain teak with good results. Now I have seen acacia stained to look like teak and rubberwood being tried to passed on as teak. So im not sure exactly what type of wood you actually have, just can go by what your describing in your posting. Thats why I recommended it to be look at by a professional as these people see raw wood everyday and give you their professional advice. But its your furniture and you can try anything you like and only you have to live with the results. So I wish you the best of luck with this.

o

You had mentioned stripping the piece, which isn't necessary.

When I bought this, it definitely said "teak" on it. From where, I don't recall.

Being B.J.'s, it's totally possible it's acacia or rubberwood. That would explain the reddish hue. It's been on the porch for quite some time, and although it's weathered, the wood remains smooth and nice. Which is a plus.

So, what I'm gathering here, is that if it is teak, even if I wanted to put something on it to tone down the red, it probably wouldn't adhere!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here