Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help securing caster stems in my ottoman

Posted by careercounselor (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 13:37

Hi Everyone:
I need your help. I have a wonderful ottoman as part of a chair that I inherited and have loved. My problem is that two of the caster stems no longer stay in the bottom and are always falling out -- can you help me come up with a solution to eliminate this problem. My handyman is not terribly reliable and has ignored my pleas for help with this problem so what can I do on my end.
Kind thanks,
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help securing caster stems in my ottoman

If this are ball casters then are not repairable, will need to replace. The stems are usually fit into a socket inside the frame, with a little bit of persuasion they will pull out. Take to a hardware store, upholstery shop or go online to find replacements. Sometimes the stems mount to a plate that is held on by 4 screws on the bottom of the frame.

o

There are two common types of caster sockets, metal and plastic.

The plastic can crack and break inside. They are extremely hard to find as repair parts. They are usually stapled in place with upholstery or narrow crown staples. You can usually substitute with a metal type, but you may need to drill a smaller hole nearby.

The metal type has a collar that snaps onto the caster's stem. You can find these easily (see link below). But before you go out and buy them, try prying them out and crimping the top with a pair of pliers. Often that will work. If not, they are simply pull out and hammer in the new ones.

If the caster socket itself is falling out, it has usually worn an oversize hole in the wood frame. The easiest solution is to drill a new hole nearby and reinsert the socket. An alternative is to use an epoxy paste around the socket stem.

Here is a link that might be useful: caster stem replacements

o

A local furniture repair service can probably resolve this issue. Be sure to contact one that specializes in upholstery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here