Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleeen_gw

quality details for leather recliner couch??

kathleeen
16 years ago

We are looking for a leather recliner couch.... When looking for quality, would the basics be a hardwood frame and top grain leather? What are some of the fine visible details to look for? I like the tailored look with corded seems and/or baseball stitching......Last question, has anyone heard of a shop called "The Inkwell"? I bought a Stressless recliner chair there a few years ago and although very spendy, I am very pleased with it. The Inkwell has a lot of couches, but different brands than the Stressless. What brand names are quality? Thanks for any comments. Kathy

Comments (4)

• erika_2006
    16 years ago

I bought a black leather recliner about 7 months back. It Still looks brand new. A hardwood frame is a must. That will make sure your recliner lasts long. You do not need to spend too much on a good recliner. Just need to scout for good deals on good furniture. You should get a great recliner for less than 500 bucks. True value for money! I am giving the link where I bought it from. They sell at wholesale prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recliners

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Kathy,

When shopping for a leather sofa with recliner outboard stations (at each end), then you most definitely want to ask some questions if you are shopping quality over price point.

Leather is split at the tannery. All upholstery uses top grain (the upper half) and split grain (lower half) is more suited for industrial leather uses. Rather, decide if you want a Finished Leather or an Aniline Dye for your piece. Both have their pros and cons, you can do a search here for the differences.

Hardwood frames - definitely. However, just as important is how the frame members are attached. The highest industry standard is currently double-doweled, screwed and glued. Look for that phrase. To test a motion pieces rigidity and strength, push laterally on the arms and check the flex. All motion furniture will have flex, but you will notice the better brands move far less than cheaper products. Motion furniture is always difficult to make stiff, because all portions of the piece are in motion.

Mechanisms. The best in the industry are Leggett and Platt brand. All the top companies use them, and they carry strong warranties. Mechanisms that operate on a cable are more reliable over time than those that are push-back operated. You also have power recline options, which have more positions you can stop in, but also need a power outlet nearby (and its a heavier, more expensive piece).

Check and see if there is leather all around the unit. Many companies in the mid-level line will use vinyl or bi-cast in areas that are not on the seating surfaces.

Corded seams and exotic stitching are done by the top companies, but hard to find in mid-level units. Hancock and Moore and Leathercraft have many options in those categories. I'm sure there may be others, but those are the companies I'm familiar with.

When buying reclining sofa units, pay particular attention to size of everyone using them. If you husband is over 6' 1", he may not be comfortable in a standard height reclining sofa. Conversely, if you are under 5'4", you may get lost in the cushions of one that fits him well.

I have a 7-year old dual recliner sofa by Bradington-Young that has done well in the media room. Not sure I'd buy it again however. What works just as well - if not better - is to get a large leather ottoman that you can push up to a regular sofa and everyone can use a part of it (40" - 50" Square, etc). Not as limiting as a recliner unit and had more flexibility of use.

Duane Collie
    The Keeping Room

• playfish
    16 years ago

Kathleen, have you found anything yet?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    16 years ago

"I have a 7-year old dual recliner sofa by Bradington-Young that has done well in the media room. Not sure I'd buy it again however. What works just as well - if not better - is to get a large leather ottoman that you can push up to a regular sofa and everyone can use a part of it (40" - 50" Square, etc). Not as limiting as a recliner unit and had more flexibility of use."

I have a 7 year old midrange dual recliner leather sofa (can't remember brand- it was a "HomeLife" purchase) and I would not purchase one again simply because of the sheer weight of the thing. It is a real bear to move and to get through doorways- we had to disassemble it when we moved earlier this year.

I really like the suggestion above about a regular sofa and a huge ottoman- I really wish I had gone that way. Much more versatile and easier to vacuum behind :)