Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimijacobs_gw

Leather upholstery and dogs?

mimijacobs
14 years ago

Can the two safely mix? Do they make a "leather" sofa that's puppy toenail proof?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    14 years ago

I suggest that you obtain some leather samples and let your puppies go at it and see. To some, its all of a matter of opinion what is pet proof and what is not.

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I was recently in a furniture store and the sales person insisted that leather is durable and pet proof and surprisingly so. I do not have personal experience with it but I too am learly of what my big 75 dog might do to it if he jumped up. One thing she did say that made sense, leather is one of the most durable materials, so maybe it would be ok. I always imagined that IF I did get a leather couch etc, that I'd have to cover it with a throw or something!!

• lachase
    14 years ago

I have pets too, have wondered if the leather odor would make the doggies think it is a big chew toy; also can envision my cat deciding it is a great place to sharpen claws. Any experiences with pets and leather?

• Lars
    14 years ago

My boss designed Joni Mitchell's house back in the 1980s (or maybe earlier) and used leather upholstered sofas and lounge chairs. Joni had to bring all the leather upholstered pieces back in to be reupholstered after a few years, as they had been extremely battered by her dogs. She paid for the reupholstery without any complaints, as she did not expect the furniture to be dog proof, especially since she had large dogs. Sally (my boss) also has dogs, but hers are pretty well behaved. One of them is allergic to wool, however, and so she had me make custom overcoats and bathrobes for them. You might want to consider allergies when selecting upholstery material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joni Mitchell's house

• lachase
    14 years ago

I posted it in another place, but someone who sells furniture told me today, if you have animals DON'T buy leather because as she said: "it WILL get scratched up". I appreciated her candid opinion and I believe her. Leather is beautiful, but I'm thinking of purchasing fabric and going with her opinion and my instincts.

• rjinga
    14 years ago

funny that the one lady (at Farmer's guess that should have been my first clue) says the complete opposite and then recently another reputible store here locally told me the very same thing lachase mentioned, that if you have pets DO NOT get leather, he told me a story of a lady who got an expensive leather couch and within the first week, her cat scratched a big ole claw mark across one of the seat coushions, NOT UNDER WARRANTY for pets, so she is SOL.

I'm always so tempted, but it really would be a shame to have a nice piece of furniture damaged so easily and that would be forever to deal with looking at it (or at least as long as you had it, but who's going to buy it from you after something like that happens to it?