Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rowansmom_1029

Opinions on: Lane, El Ran, Bernhardt, Flexsteel?

rowansmom_1029
17 years ago

Hello, I am shopping for a sofa and a recliner.

Recliners: A local store carries El Ran and Lane, and I have surmised that El Ran is better quality... do you agree? Or, what about Flexsteel (which I haven't looked at in person yet). I am looking for a good quality well-constructed recliner that isn't made out of cheap wood etc etc. I am also trying to find one that isn't ugly! not easy...

Sofas: I like a Bernhardt sofa that is in the same local store. Of course the salespeople say it is high quality... is it? They are offering the 'Sargent' style sofa to me for $1,699 with free delivery.

I would love to hear your general opinions and tips on recliners and sofas... especially recliners. Who makes the best upolstery furniture? I would love to buy USA made, too... or Canada... El Ran is in Canada I believe. Or are there good overseas manufactures?

I also have questions about dealing with the damn salespeople, but that is another post.

Thanks ahead of time!

Comments (19)

• mogator88
    17 years ago

El Ran is a step up from Berkline, Catnapper, Franklin, Coaster, PeopleLoungers, etc. Lane is probably a bit better. Jaymar is definitely a step up. Flexsteel has a good reputation. I have an El Ran in my basement, its not bad but if you have the money look for something nice.

I've heard good and bad (although more good) about Bernhardt sofas over the years. $1699 for a really good and stylish sofa sounds reasonable.

Also, what's the issue with the salespeople?

• jrdwyer
    17 years ago

Flexsteel has a very solid frame/recliner mechanism that is built to last forever. As far as their fabrics and cushions, I would say that is more of a mixed bag and also dependent of personal preference.

Our 2002 microfiber fabric Flexsteel reclining sofa is very comfortable, but the stitching on one seam seperated at delivery (fixed by the furniture store) and another seam just seperated recently (I'll probably just sew it up). We are hard on the sofa with kids and such, but I expected better durability.

We also have a more recent 2005 Flexsteel fabric non-reclining chair with a cotton fabric that we like and have not had any problems with.

Our in-laws have recent Flexsteel reclining chairs and they like them and have not had any problems. I've sat in one, and I don't think the cushions are very comfortable.

An individual's comfort depends on the cushion and fabric combination, so make sure to test the exact model you plan on buying or at least the same cushions with a comparable fabric if you are custom ordering.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    17 years ago

We have a flexsteel sectional that was purchased about 6 years ago. It still looks exactly the same as the day it came home despite teenagers and three dogs. My husband just commented on it last night something about at the end of time cockroaches and the couch will still be here lol

• rowansmom_1029
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your responses... this forum is very helpful!

In the few days since my post, the furniture store that I am working with started carrying Massoud! I love their fabrics and the construction seems excellent, better than Bernhardt. I can get a three-cushion sofa for 1,798. So I am working on choosing fabric.

However, the recliner! Lane pretty much sucks I have surmised, plus I don't like their stuff now that my eyes have viewed such beautiful quality online from my research the last few days. Anyway, I don't like the Lane or the El Ran, and I don't want leather. So... I just search the Temple furniture site. I really like one of their recliners. The only dealer they list in my area is a interior decorator firm. And I am wary of the cost. The construction looks excellent. Well, that is my update. If anyone has comments on Temple...

Oh, I haven't made it to the store that carries the Flexsteel. The salesperson at the other store said the frame is excellent in Flexsteel in the sense that it won't where out... but he said the "steel" they use isn't flexible and will wear out your upholstery. I don't know what to think!

• rowansmom_1029
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OOPS, I had mentioned that I had found a recliner at Temple. No, they are swivel/rockers. Oh, well.

I have health problems and want to be able to recline comfortably, and lay back fully (or almost fully). But I want the chair to look good! I am willing to go with leather if that is all I can fine, but I would rather not. I don't like the poofy look, and I want the reclining mechanism to be very good quality.

• mogator88
    17 years ago

You want a Lafer recliner.

• jcode77
    16 years ago

Please read this before you buy el-ran

Here is a link that might be useful: El-ran after sale customer experience

• megatron32
    7 years ago

paid $5000 for a all leather sectional i thought would last long time but after a few years of use reclining mechanisms got very sloppy and no longer works smooth i weigh 180lbs. the wood frame came apart from all the spring tension it is under even with no load with two people pushing on it cant even put it where it was so much pressure unreal!no wonder why it broke with only a few pin nails to keep tension togather!wtf it says lifetime warranty on frame and mechanisms.called they told me i can get a piece of wood to satisfy a lifetime frame warranty!wtf original piece needs to be put back and screwed not easy at all!would need unwrap leather and deal with enormous pressure from spring system with no load even is ridiculous!said i can find someone and pay to fix.i can pay $50 shipping for pc.of wood,nails? and mechanism.do not buy

• ericj5959
    7 years ago

I have had a lot of different brands..Elran is way better than Lane

Flexsteel makes some stuff in China now

• Jo52
    7 years ago

Elran has a steel frame like Flexsteel but is lesser known in the States. Made in Canada and pretty much a leader in motion chairs. The cushions are dense and should last a long time. Foam density is important. Cheaper furniture uses only 1# and flattens out permanently after little use.

• jodie333
    7 years ago

in reading everyone's comments about Elran, i'm really confused as to whether i should invest in a sectional. we are looking for a fabric sectional, the Elran Ellen, but would you recommend Elran or should i keep looking. we liked how comfortable it is but would be getting two motorized recliners

• Jo52
    7 years ago

We bought an Elran last weekend. It's a leather sectional with two motorized recliners on the end. It's beautiful and comfortable with firm cushions. It's a little bigger since our room is not large but I think it will be a great place to watch movies with the hubby. I don't know about longevity so I bought a warranty extension. Anymore you almost have to buy a warranty on everything since some reviews are downright scary. It's a big purchase for us and I hope it lasts. The reviews for the modern day Flexsteel were awful. I think it's on Gardenweb. So many negative reviews put me off on it. Good luck

• Shelley Quandt
    5 years ago
    I bought ElRan leather furniture a year ago from a local small business retailer near me. The retail store convinced me that my new motorized recline sofa, love seat and chair would stand the test of time. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!! The love seat was scratched within 3 months, the finish wore off the arm of the chair with a cotton cloth wet with dishwater. After submitting photos to ElRan they accused me of using chemicals and abusing my new (very expensive!) furniture. What a cop-out for honoring their warranty. BUYER BEWARE! I would never buy this brand again or recommend it to anyone!
  • Jo52
    5 years ago

Wow, that’s terrible. Ours is just like new. Was this true leather or bonded?

• armchairshopper
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Whatever you do, do not buy bonded leather, because it is not the same as leather, and is not nearly as durable as leather. After owning multiple recliners, I have concluded that more costly power recliners are worth the investment because they have more positions and have less mechanical problems. Manual recliners depend upon springs and are more prone to spring stretching and failure.

Flip over a Flexsteel chair or sofa and you will be sold on the durability and construction quality. However, every style feels completely different. You need to try it before you buy it.

While you are looking at pricey chairs, look at Stressless.

• Art Bilski
    3 years ago

Unfortunately I have found Elran to use a substandard foam in their cushions.

I have owned my sofa for 1 year and the cushion has already been replaced and now it needs to be replaced again. Elran will not warrant the replacement. They claim it is because of the way I get up. I am 69 years old and only know how to get up one way.

The foam is separating and sliding down into the footrest.

Sorry but no more Elran for me.

• nels1678
    2 years ago

We bought Elran several years ago as well and I've got similar issues as Shelley showed in her pictures. Anywhere there's friction like on the edge of the arms or seams of the seat, the surface layer is wearing away leaving a lighter bottom layer showing through (and not in the patina sort of way that you'd expect from high quality leather). I had specifically emailed them about the leather prior to purchasing and they claim it is analine dyed top grain leather, but it's not behaving like any leather we've owned before. Also within a week after buying our sofa set, the arm in the loveseat broke and needed to be repaired. The repair guy warned us that they had used cheap materials inside and that he had replaced them with far more solid wood. I would be very wary.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Just bought two Flexsteel leather reclining sofas for our family room. We love the soft leather and the smooth automatic mechanism. Paid $2,199 each and feel I got a great deal was looking for anything other than the bloated reclining furniture found in most stores. Profile is lower and more refined. Had contacted Flexsteel prior to purchasing with questions on warranty. Their response was prompt and comprehensive. Great warranty. Grandsons, Dog and cats love it too. I anticipate many pleasant naps on these.