Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
av3108

Coaster and/vs Ashley Furniture quality

Avantika
9 years ago

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying my first house and looking to furnish the master bedroom, living room and dining area in a $4000 budget. I visited a few furniture stores in my city and quite like the designs of Coaster furniture for the bedroom set (http://www.furnitureoutletoc.com/bedroom-furniture/peyton-collection-203651-rustic-bedroom-set/) and Ashley Furniture Signature collection for couch set and dining table (http://www.afwonline.com/ic280frm.asp?prodno=LL-734-S and http://www.amazon.com/Birnalla-Butterfly-Extension-Dining-Light/dp/B00HDZIHJ6).

Does anyone have experience with these two brands? I know they're not the most high end pieces, but frankly, we don't have the budget for that. We just want stuff that we can use for the next 7-8 years. Any feedback or suggestions will be really helpful.

Thank you.

Comments (3)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

Hello Avi,

I think you have done some good shopping and have good expectations.

In general both companies can give excellent bang for the buck quality. If I invent my personal 1 to 10 scale Coaster items might range from 5 to 8 and Ashley 5 to 8.1. Coaster living room furniture I would generally rank lower. Ashley dining room furniture has some hits and misses thanks to durability issues of the table tops.

The Coaster bedroom set you listed I do not know personally but I like. We have too much dark furniture on display lol. Your set has full extension drawers which are a neat thing and they generally do not put them drawer guides on their cheaper sets. So having not seen it I would bet if you don't let your significant other set cold beverages down on the night stands and ruin the top finish it should last you decades.

The Levon Charcoal is a pretty decent Ashley stationary sofa. It is big and we have had issues with it fitting into homes but never with quality. I like it and the feel. Ashley's parts availability is great. With that serial number under the left side facing seat you can call your dealer and get a new seat cushion or padding if needed. It has a wide throw and from home watching the sick kid I can't remember if there is a center leg or not....if not and if you have a bunch of 300 plus pound friends maybe think about one. True for all sofas though. You are not doing the sleeper sofa, correct?

Ashley's Birnalla dining room I do not know personally and can not see specs on. It must be homestore or back door dealings exclusive in my area. Go to the store displaying it, sit down with a spiral notebook on it and write out the cost of your pieces. If that finish doesn't look perfect when you are done pass. Ashley has some dining sets I love. They have some which are for show only. GENERALLY their dark glossy finishes suck so I think you will be ok but I urge you to test it out.

How does the company you are buying from rank with the BBB and are they local to you?

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Another option is to shop craigs list. Sometimes you can get some amazing finds. As far as the two sets. Inspect themm carefully and study the merits of the construction of each. I know its popular to poke fun at Ashley but they didn't get to be the largest manufacturer of furniture in the US by accident. Its like poking fun at Wallmart. You might not like everything they carry but they do carry a lot of things that are made well with good value.

• Eba Fernandez
    6 years ago

Don't buy Coaster, the furniture is made in China and is not of good quality. I bought a sofa, after screwing the legs into the frame and upon sitting, it collapsed, the frame could not bear weight because it was made of cheap recycled wood. Coaster tried to blame the delivery company and I told them no, their wooden frame was fine initially, the leg screwed in but because it was so cheap, it didn't hold weight. The Classy Home where I bought it has lousy customer service about returns so basically you might get stuck with a piece of garbage like me or end up in court.