Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess111_gw

How do I price used furniture?

jess111
15 years ago

I am finally going to part with my huge oak bedroom set. Bought in 1997, and in very near perfect condition, it consists of:

a big, bulky armoire

huge 9 drawer dresser, with hidden jewelery storage

triple mirror with angled cabinets

enormous bed wall with triple, lighted mirrors, storage cabinets attached for nightstands with recessed lights. There's another hidden drawer within the bedwall, as well as 2 other hidden cabinets

I think it was from wambold furniture, which is now out of business. It's solid oak with cedar lined drawers, and contemp style but quite massive and solid. I believe I paid about $7K back in 1997. How do I price this now to put up on craigslist? My husband thinks we'd be lucky to get 1500, but I was hoping for more around 2500. Will I have a hard time selling something like this? I'm planning to take some pics for CL, so I can post some then.

Comments (17)

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Most people are lucky to get 25% return.
    I'd start with a $2000 price.

• dakotatom
    15 years ago

Hi Jess.....

I might be interested in the Wambold bedroom set.

Can you send me a picture or two...

Thanks

Tom

• jess111
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, western. I loaded some pics. Do you really figure 2000 would be a starting point? I know people are prone to haggle some, and under 2000 seems so cheap. Although I have no idea what people are willing to spend in the used furniture market. Only the bedwall, armoire, dresser and mirror are included. Am selling the fireplace separately. And I'm keeping the mattress and box spring, so those aren't included.

Tom, here's some pics...your email addy isn't in your profile. Where are you located?

{{gwi:1534620}}

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I would think you will have a hard time getting $2500 for it. It is just hard to get that kind of money for used furnture that is not an antique or highly desired brand name. Oak is out of fashion for higher end furniture and most Oak furnture is sold in the low end market with cheap imports. The same thing put Wambold out of business 5 yrs ago. The photos are blocked by our firewall so I can't see them. The only thing you can do is list them and see what kind of response you get. You might get lucky and find the right buyer or it could be you don't get any takers at $1000.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to say, but I agree that if you get $1000 you will be doing good, (not really lucky, but you know what I mean). First it is used, second it is not any special design. It wouldn't appeal in particular to the country decorator, modern, or traditional, and it is Oak.

I'm kind of in your boat. I have some very expensive bedroom furniture in excellent condition, but not oak. I'm keeping mine rather than give it away.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

I scan CL daily and have bought some wonderful pieces. I'm in SoCal and can tell you that - regardless of the impeccable condition of your furniture - a set like that would be listed at around $700-$1000 (and at $1000, it's probably over-priced). It's just too dated in style, especially the huge pier unit. I agree with Chris, except for the pricing. You have nothing to lose by posting it for $2000, but I've seen many similar bedroom sets on CL languish for months at prices no one is willing to pay.

We had a similar set which was not inexpensive when we bought it new. There wasn't a scratch or a mark on it, and the golden oak finish was still lustrous 20 years later. I loved it, especially because the storage in the pier units housed a multitude of sins out of sight. But it was definitely passe in style, and we were ready for something more contemporary and streamlined. We donated it to St. Vincent's and got a hefty tax write-off. It's something you may want to consider.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Oh my! That will be a hard sell.

I agree that the bulky pier unit is NOT in your favor, no matter the condition.

I also think that no one will pay even $1500 for it. They will probably pay $1000 and complain loudly about moving something so large.

• mogator88
    15 years ago

I would agree with what everyone has said. Used furniture depreciates much worse than a car. And think about it, you're trying to convince someone to pay as much as possible for something you don't even want! Good luck though, and let us know what happens.

• dakotatom
    15 years ago

Hi Jess...

When you get a chance email me please at
    hot69javelin@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tom

• booeyc
    14 years ago

Hi Jess,

I have the same bedroom set by Wambold but in a white washed wood that I bought in 1998 and I'm looking to sell it too. I'm curious if you were ever able to sell yours and for how much.

Thanks!

• caroles_jungle
    14 years ago

Good going... you would never have received $2K if you split it up. I would have told the would-be buyers that they could list what they did not want on CL.

Actually I liked your set because of the wall unit as I like to decorate those kinds of shelves with different looks... but would need a BIG size bedroom to put it into. Ha! It matches my book cases in my spare bedroom... and yes, I am up there in years and it is dated furniture. I love storage.

• jjgram_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Westside Furniture Consignment Emporium
    We are a consignment store that specializes in the resale of upscale gently used furniture, home d�cor, antiques, collectibles, silver, porcelain and nostalgia from homes and businesses just like yours.

http://www.wfce.net/index.html
    http://www.youtube.com/user/WestsideFurnitureCE

Here is a link that might be useful: Westside Furniture

• abera3329_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have an antique Jacobean dining room set that was my grandmother's from 1910. I have refinished it and had any repairs it needed done. It has a dining room table with leaf and 4 chairs (one arm chair), a hutch, a large sideboard and a small sideboard.
    I was wondering how much it is worth?

• kymykat_gmail_com
    12 years ago

wow- I have to say you found some people who don't know much about used furniture buying. the set you sold those people IS A NIGHTMARE to move or put in a lot of standard rooms. I know of people trying to sell the same type sets who just can't get rid of them. They break up the set and dressers go for 50.00 to 75.00, mirror 25.00. And I've known of people selling the bed and the two towers alongside the bed 200-300 hundred top's. It's not Ethan Allen or any other high end furniture that's for sure. It's heavy and so bulky that with the way people move so often these days and tight staircases and lack of muscle to help carry such heavy pieces of very outdated furniture people just don't want or need the broken back at any price.
    So consider yourself a lucky seller.

• thelmaducharme_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We have a American Drew gently used china cabinet and buffet, and matching dining room table with 10 chairs. We live in DeBary, FL. We also have an entertainment center, and microfiber sofa, loveseat and recliner, plus slate coffee table and end tables, plus we want to sell our American Drew bedroom set, large dresser with two mirrors, chest of drawers and two night stands. We are getting too old to move this heavy all wood furniture. Anyone have suggestions?

• Chris Mannion
    5 years ago
    how do I price a manor house bedroom pine armoire and 2 piece hutch purchased in 1972?
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!