Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low order mineral spirits vs. 100% mineral spirits

Posted by mpiper (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 29, 09 at 12:00

I have this fireplace that the previous owners painted (over paint, over paint, you get the picture). I began stripping all the paint off with the citrus orange stuff which seems to be working pretty good but it now looks orange. I plan to use the mineral spirits to "clean" the wood and get any access paint off prior to sanding. My boyfriend has very sensitive nostrils and so I wanted to spare him the agony of the 100% full aroma.
My question is since I have never done anything like this before is:
1) Am I on the right track?
2) Can I use the Low order and get the same results?
I plan to stain to a mahogany color.
Thanks for your advice
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low order mineral spirits vs. 100% mineral spirits

For those purposes, or any purpose I can think of offhand, low odor is fine to use. I will say that not all mineral spirits are created equal though, so if they have two different brands get the more expensive stuff.

Do you know what kind of wood you're stripping? Maple for example doesn't like oil based stains generally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here