Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_design_gw

Confusion over who made my new latex mattress

love_design
16 years ago

Please help. We just bought a King Koil Comfort Solutions Natural Elegance (so many names) latex mattress to be delivered on Saturday. I did alot of research up front about what do look for when buying latex mattresses, and this one seemed to fit the bill with the Dunlop Latex Core and a 1"layer of medium dunlop foam on top, with no polyurethane which is what is supposed to break down, and cause canoeing. The problem is, I can't find ANYTHING online about these mattresses except a few dealers who sell them. Even King Koils' website does not mention the Natural Elegance line, their own line! Should I be concerned? Do you think that it is a re-naming issue? Any ideas who really makes this mattress or know anything about it?

Comments (9)

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Could it be this one on their website? They have "Comfort Solutions" label/icon in the upper left corner of their page.

http://www.kingkoil.com/home.cfm?srcpage=2&product=8&cfid=20020585&cftoken=51893175

Click on the "about us" link and then the "contact us" link at the bottom of that page for their toll free number. They should be able to answer your questions at their customer service number.

This isn't a brand that's available in our area but I do know from a recent exhaustive search that Sealy makes their SpringFree latex mattress for Stearns and Foster and Bassett's Carrington Chase line. Same latex mattress, different label.

• love_design
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks anyway Sippimom but that is not the right mattress. It looks more like a hybrid, whereas mine is 100% latex. Also, mine has a 20 year non-prorated warranty, that one has only 10. It is definitely called Natural Elegance, and I think it was a small company that King Koil bought, but you would think that it would be on their website somewhere. I was given a Natural Elegance brochure by the store I bought it from, which has no mention of King Koil on it anywhere. It is very strange and a bit unnerving to me. I would just like to know if others' have any experiences with it.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Bed warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. They cover DEFECTS in workmanship, not suitability or length of use. People wear out beds, they don't fail from defects in construction. Of the thousands of bed sets I've sold in 25 years, I've seen exactly 2 that had workmanship defects. One has stitching unravel, and another had broken spring.

King Koil is made on regional assembly lines that make bedding for various brands. Models will differ dramatically by region.

FYI I discontinued my King Koil dealership years ago after seeing too many of their bedding sets lasting only five years before breakdown.

-Duane Collie
    The Keeping Room

• mogator88
    16 years ago

I sell King Koil. Like most bedding, it is produced in regional factories located throughout the US. Most of the plants are an independently owned franchise that purchases raw materials from King Koil or from King Koil approved suppliers.

The factory we buy from has been in business for several generations, and has been a King Koil franchise for several years. They make a wide variety of styles and specs from promotional to high end.

Earlier this year I viewed the entire lineup, including Natural Response. I felt it was a nice product. Currently we don't sell latex bedding, but if we did we'd likely carry this.

I can't answer why its not on their website. I believe they want to sell it as a separate brand (think "Honda" and "Acura", or "Toyota" and "Lexus"). King Koil also produces Jaclyn Smith Home mattresses, and Laura Ashley. Perhaps other dealers had experiences like Duane and that's the reason they are putting less emphasis on the King Koil name and moving to a "family of brands"

We sell the Laura Ashley line. I have found it to be an excellent mattress, my customers consistently choose it over Sealy Posturepedic even though its more money.

• lanabanana
    15 years ago

My husband and I are looking at buying this mattress. I agree it fits the bill. We were also given a brochure by the retailer which does not mention King Koil...I do find that strange. Like you, we have not been able to find anything online about this mattress. However, from what I've read all latex is being manufactured the same, so it seems that this is a cheap alternative which should have the same longevity and quality as the more expensive brands. I was just wondering if you could give an update on the mattress now that you have presumably had it for a couple of years.

• thecollector
    15 years ago

I think you got some bad information! Not all Latex is made the same. First off, real - natural latex is quite expensive. The industry has developed chemical (synthetic) latex as a result. The first question you should ask of any dealer or salesperson is what is the percentage of natural latex in the bed? Expect a blank stare from most salespeople at this point, but the fact of the matter is most latex beds are blends. Its not unusual to see a 60/40 blend in even a premium bed. Cheap ones will be all synthetic latex, and the best ones will be 100% natural.

• lana_lanabanana_net
    15 years ago

Right...follow the entire posting here. We're talking about a 100% natural latex bed, sorry I didn't specify (again).

• peabody1
    12 years ago

I know you originally posted a long time ago, but I was curious as to how you like your mattress. We, too, just saw a all natural latex mattress and couldn't find it listed on-line. We were told it was made by a division of King Koil. Can't find anything on it. Would like to know if they hold up and if they have a smell when you first get them. We just bought a mattress topper but it has such a terrible smell that it is going back to the store. Thinking a natural organic mattress might be a better pick, but not sure about buying latex. Your thoughts on your mattress purchase?

• actravels
    11 years ago

I purchased a King Koil Latex mattress 5 years ago. In a recent move, a large gauge resulted. I am in the process of trying to locate a replacement, as I would not consider anything else! I spoke with the store I purchased this from, as I do not have a receipt, and they advised that King Koil is now doing business as Paramount Sleep. I don't know if that will help you or not. I have a call into them trying to find where I can find a local retailer, since I relocated to a different state.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional