Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t454

American made bedroom furniture with some style rec's needed

T454
12 years ago

We recently bought a new home and now need to buy a new bedroom suite. I would like to buy American made products, however my wife is unexcited by the models I have found in our price range:

Kincaid - Laura Ashley

Durham - Savile, Brookline, or Mt. Vernon (Canadian I know)

Linwood - Charlton House

Mobel - American Images

Are any of these not a quality product? We have no local dealers with any in stock to look at, but my wife is unimpressed. She likes the style of Haverty's Carmichael or Grand Tuscan. I have not seen any style like this American made, and Haverty's looks cheap-made to me. Any recommendations??

Comments (13)

• Michael
    12 years ago

We ordered our Made In U.S.A bedroom from Witmer Furniture in WI.

It's the best product we could find that's available to our area in Ohio.

Real Birch, full extension drawer glides, quality built, precision fitted, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture

• nancnh
    12 years ago

There's a lot of American made furniture that stylish and well priced that's made by the Amish in Pa, Ohio, and Indiana. Google it...I'll bet you'll find things you like.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Have you checked out Lexington? Our Lexington BR suite is made in NC and built like a tank. I've had it for about 10 years.

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

Not familiar with Durham. However the Laura Ashley by Kincaid is imported. Lexington is mostly imported now. Linwood is a new company that was started by former Lexington employees. I understand they are producing in the US. Harden is still producing most of their products in the US, check carefully the Tapestry line as some of those are imports. Hickory Chair is still made in the states. Mobel is made in the US.

• T454
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't realize any Kincaid was imported. We seen a couple of sets of Mobel at local dealer, wasn't too impressed with fit and finish, maybe they have different levels. I think it had metal drawer slides. Durham is made in Canada, looks nice in catalog but no local pieces to look at. Vaughan Bassett is still made in USA, but most of their pieces look to be cheaper made than what we are looking for. I have old V-B set held up nice EXCEPT for the metal drawer slides, glued in and plastic slides mostly broke over the years. Its a shame most furniture companies have been basically forced to produce overseas.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Here's another USA company, which was featured on the ABC News series.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial Furniture

• KarenHochstadter
    12 years ago

When I first got on this website (accidentely) there was a discussion from 2009 about Open Hearth bedroom furniture from Sears. I have been looking locally for a bedside table in this furniture for a long time. I bought my set in 1976 (I think) here in Pueblo, CO. deeinohio would like it. Does anyone know where we could get it?
    Karen

• dorothy9_gw
    12 years ago

I have purchased Durham bedroom furniture, 4 night stands, 3 dressers and 2 beds. The dresser in this house is too heavy for me to move away from the wall so can't say what the back is made of but I bought a Lexington set at a garage sale maybe 15 years ago and the backing on dressers etc is cardboard and the drawers are shallow. I'd think made in Canada is better than made in China or India etc. One bed is a sleigh bed and I don't care for that style because it is more difficult to make up the bed but there is nothing wrong with the quality. The drawers have wooden center glides.

• T454
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What about Harden? They have some nice looking pieces and made in USA, are they a lot higher in price than Durham, etc? Durham would be at top of my price range.

• clt3
    12 years ago

Harden is lovely but expensive. I have Durham bedroom furniture and really think it is great quality for the price. I have a Harden coffee table also. The Harden would be quite a bit more expensive than Durham.

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

Kincaid was made in the US however several years ago went to importing. How long do you want to keep the bedroom furniture? Yes, Harden is expensive but if you are going to keep it indefinitely the quaility is worth it. Hickory Chair is also made in the US however they are quite expensive. Both have websites.

• T454
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We actually seen some Harden, Stickley, and Durham furniture at a dealer in Jacksonville, FL. The Durham was a white distresssed bedroom suite, I hope most of their stuff looks better than this, backing was not flush, visible staple holes, Definitely not what I was looking for, I had to look fast before the wife discovered it was Durham. They had a Harden gallery and was totally impressed with their quality. Also, the Stickley line was equally impressive. I was quoted approx $7500 for a Durham suite, not sure what to expect with Harden or Stickley, $10k or more? Both Harden and Stickley had some very nice living room furniture as well, My wife loved the Stickley leather sofa.

We are still looking though and trying to buy as local as possible, no dealers around here have any stock though.

• T454
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Follow Up-

Well "we" finally decided to go with Fine Furniture's British Colonial Walnut bedroom collection (I know imported) My wife fell in love with it what can I say? It does look to be very nice quality. They also had a hickory white that we liked, but it was out of our price range at $10k.

I did purchase a Flexsteel recliner that is made in the USA though, very comfortable too.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH