Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

question on sofa

andrelaplume2
9 years ago

I am looking for something for our basement...likely won't get as much wear as the stuff upstairs. We have a lazy boy sofa, loveseat and two recliners for 7 years that are in use by our family of 4 and dog every day. Its held up fine and still comfy. The chairs are leather. The sofa is some fabric...to be honest I am not sure what. I am satisfied with the furniture.

For the basement I was planning on staying away from leather...its a little expensive for the basement and little cold to the touch down there.

We must have sat on 50 sofas. The one we like the best is in the link below. To be honest we saw this sofa a year ago and liked it. Well, they still sell it and it just happened to be the feature item when we walked in the store. The lady said its a popular seller. The problem is that she also said it was bonded leather. Its not shiny like leather. Its more like microfiber or suede. I have read bad things about bonded leather. She says it will wear well...but then again she wants to make a sale. How can I find out what this sucker is made of and if it will wear well? If its not a good choice, I think the line (James) comes in other fabrics...what wears well.

Google the Lazy Boy website for: James La-Z-Time� Full Reclining Sofa,
Cover Type: Fabric, Renew�*
Cover Color: Chestnut (RE994716)

Comments (9)

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, believe it or not I found more info on the sofa on the Raymore and Flannigan website...what it all means...still not sure. Please advise.

Polyester fabric with Renew⢠blended-leather backing
    Easy-care 100% polyester fabric boasts a soft feel, yet it's tough enough for extensive, everyday use; ecofriendly Renew⢠blended-leather backing is created with recycled leather, which delivers the durability and performance of authentic leather but with a reduced eco-footprint

In the description it says the fabric is "Polyester fabric with Renew�� blended-leather backing" Does this mean the polyester is blended with leather or does it mean the polyester is on the part of the sofa that touches you..and the leather is on the back of the sofa?

Best Answer: The Renew is used as the backing to create a more durable and easy care fabric.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Bonded leather is more vinyl than anthing else with a pinted finish. Generally bonded leather sofas are imported from China. They eventually peel, are cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If you want leather at a lower price point a pigmented leather would be a better option.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

but the bonded / blended part on this sofa appears to be on the back side, does this make a difference?

Polyester fabric with Renew⢠blended-leather backing
    Easy-care 100% polyester fabric boasts a soft feel, yet it's tough enough for extensive, everyday use; ecofriendly Renew⢠blended-leather backing is created with recycled leather, which delivers the durability and performance of authentic leather but with a reduced eco-footprint

THANKS!!!!

• Neoman
    9 years ago

That cover is called a fabric, not called bonded leather. Different type of fabric.

What you are describing is a really good polyester cover reinforced with a leather type back. Looks like leather but the feel of a nice fabric.

They are promoting it correctly. I would recommend it for the use you are indicating.

Bonded leather or Blended leather on the top side is garbage. Like Freethinker indicated, not real durable.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks....I got the same story again in Raymor and FLannigan tonight...same sofa...little different color....$300 less than lazy boy store...I think I'm gonna get it...

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Spend a little more and buy real leather. In then end you will have made a better investment.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    9 years ago

Their is no fabric that has a leather type backing to it. The "renew" is just another name for bonded leather.
    Polyester fabric is the least expensive type material used in upholstery, has medium to low durability, depending on the weave.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

We just bought a club chair from Lazy Boy in their Renew cover to be delivered in January. It was hard to understand that it was not actually leather -- the salesperson kept saying it was fabric.

It promises a lot of things -- fade resistant, wear resistant, etc... so we'll see.

It is going in our formal living room so it really is not going to get used but once or twice a week. I thought it nice looking though.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

freethinker 99 is spot on . i see it all the time. the "leather" starts to peal off at stress points and folds, esp. after build up of oil from skin. if it's leather, it's by legal definition only.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida