Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dining table hesitations

Posted by chris_cwod (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 1:01

Hi,

I've fallen in love with a trestle table from one of the custom lines available at Toms Price, but I'm a little hesitant and am hoping maybe someone here can help me.

We have medium brown maple cabinets with a black island, and I would like a distressed maple table with a dark brownish/blackish stain. This particular table we like, however, is only available in oak or cherry. Yet this custom line does offer maple for other tables, just not this particular one. The salesperson is looking into whether the company will make the table in maple for us, but I'm wondering why they wouldn't just offer that in the first place. Is there some reason I'm not aware of why maple might not be used for certain tables? I don't want to order something if there's a good reason why they don't usually do it.

Also, we'd like to go with hand planing (makes it slightly wavy) to make the style more rustic, but we aren't able to see a sample of what that looks like from this particular company. Would you be concerned about that or do you think that sort of distressing is pretty standard?

Their sale ends Monday, so I have to make a decision quickly. Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dining table hesitations

Since the table has a dark stain, I am guessing it is because maple is very dense and does not take stain well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here