Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnjmunson_gw

Trying to buy sofa made in America

dnjmunson
12 years ago

It's time to replace our 26 yr old sofa. (Flexsteel queen sleeper; has already been reupholstered once.) I want a sofa that's going to last another 20+ yrs. I'm considering a Drexel Heritage sofa. I really would like to purchase a sofa that's entirely made in America, from frame to fabric & labor. From what I've seen so far in my research, many of their case goods are now imported but I can't find any information regarding their upholstered goods, even on their website. I was going to contact them directly, but they had posted a message that they were all away at the International Market (High Point, I think). Does anyone have any information to share? The material I'm considering is considered "Heavy", so I hope my choices will help me accomplish what I'm seeking. I've found a Drexel sofa that fit's my body perfectly & is EXACTLY what I want as far as style, size, comfort, etc. I just want to make sure it is made here. Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Comments (11)

• mom270
    12 years ago

I looked at a Drexel sofa last week and asked the salesperson if it was made in China (which I believe I read on Garden Web). She said no, it was made in America. I think you have to talk to the salespeople and ask them for information. I know I've read on GW that Ethan Allen's furniture is made in China, but I bought one 2 or 3 years ago that has a "Made in USA" tag on it.

• Michael
    12 years ago

Smith Brothers of Berne.

• mojomom
    12 years ago

Despite its name, American Leather does sofas in fabric as well as leather, and its factory is outside of Dallas. We bought one of their leather sofas and loveseats a couple of years ago and have loved it. Custom made and delivered within 6 weeks. Lots of options on leathers, fabrics and fill, etc. A bit pricey, though, but after months of looking and not finding exactly what we wanted, we decided just to bite the bullet.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Leather

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

Furniture Brands is currently consolidating their upholstery operations in the US to Lenoir NC, at the same time moving the cut & sew operations to Merida, Mexico. Should be completed by the end of this year. This includes Drexel upholstery division. Your regional sales rep could tell you if the fabric is imported.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Your biggest challenge is finding US made fabric. There are only 2 mills left in the US. I would estimate that 90% of all fabrics are now made overseas or Canada. It would take some REAL research to find the particular vendor of manufacturer's fabric sources, but a savvy salesperson or store mgr should be willing to find out to get your business. BUT, I bet it would be safe to say that all springs & a few minor other components are foreign made, so even if you found an upholstery builder, I would bet the farm that the springs will be imported.

Ethan Allen, Stickley & Bassett still have SOME styles made in the USA. Bassett's is their Custom Collection. I can't swear to EA's or Stickley's, but again, a good salesperson will be honest with you about the USA vs overseas models.

BTW, almost every commercially produced casegood out there is foreign made, to one extent or another.

~Jeana

• nancnh
    12 years ago

Harden and Hallagan are both nice lines that are made in NY

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

A previous post concerning springs being imported. This is true for most mattress springs, but for upholstery springs either the sinuous or coil springs most all are still produced in the US. Their are some drop-in spring units being imported.

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

There are many good upholstery companies that produce in the US however the fabrics as someone stated above is going to be the tough one. Key City, Taylor King, Harden, Hickory Chair, Henredon, Rowe, Clayton Marcus, Sherrill are all among the many US manufacturers producing upholstery in the US. Be wary of upholstery with "married covers". "Married covers" are items that come with only that fabric/leather or possibly a couple of different covers & offer better price points however most of these are imports; if not the entire piece then the cover is cut & sewn overseas & applied in the US however in most cases married covers the entire item is produced overseas.

• dnjmunson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful & helpful posts. In looking at the fabric swatches for my sofa, they were all labeled with the "Country of Origin." So, provided that information is accurate, I chose fabrics labeled "USA". The sales person checked on the production of the sofa and, again providing the information is accurate, it is manufactured in North Carolina. So, sofa has been ordered & should be delivered in about 8 weeks. Hopefully, I will be satisfied with the end product! I'm looking forward to receiving it!

• User
    12 years ago

Friendship Upholstery in Taylorsville, NC made a sofa for me in 6 weeks and sent it. The whole deal was arranged by phone and trucked up to me in Virginia. I was thrilled with their work.

I am glad you got what you want though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friendship Upholstery

• 47dt
    12 years ago

I would try my best to stay locally. I understand how hard it can be.