Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjbrandt_gw

wood crack repair. any suggestions?

andrewjbrandt
9 years ago

I have a crib with the wood crack pictured below. I can squeeze the crack together with a lot of force but it is in a spot that it would be very hard to clamp and hold if I were to glue it.

What suggestions do you have for closing the crack? (I should mention that the crack doesn't pose any structural problems, nor do I expect it to spread, however just to be safe I would like to take care of it)

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

I would figure out a way to clamp it. The clamp force needs to be perpendicular to the crack line. I have some cauls called Blokkz that are made specifically for this. But for a one-off need, I'd make a caul from some 1/4" plywood and a scrap of wood beveled to the needed angle (see the Blokkz web site for what you are aiming for).

Inject the PVA glue with a syringe from your local pharmacy (get a 21 ga. insulin needle), clamp and leave clamped for a few hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: blokkz

• bobismyuncle
    9 years ago

I would figure out a way to clamp it. The clamp force needs to be perpendicular to the crack line. I have some cauls called Blokkz that are made specifically for this. But for a one-off need, I'd make a caul from some 1/4" plywood and a scrap of wood beveled to the needed angle (see the Blokkz web site for what you are aiming for).

Inject the PVA glue with a syringe from your local pharmacy (get a 21 ga. insulin needle), clamp and leave clamped for a few hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: blokkz

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

get two c clamps, wood glue , a thin blade screw driver and a thin knife. pry the crack open a little with the screw driver and pack the wood glue in with your fingers. force more glue in with the knife. pull out the driver and you should see lots of glue squeezing out (that's a good thing) wipe the excess glue off with a moist rag. now for the clamping part. what you are going to do is to use one clamp to hold the second clamp to the crack. put a clamp across the vertical part of the frame and the closed part of the clamp sticking up and tighten. now you can use that clamp to hold the second clamp to close the crack. do a dry run before you glue anything up. also wood glue takes a few mins. to set so you don't have to rush. i hope this helps.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

I would buy some titebond glue at Home Depot, carefully open the crack a bit with a thin putty knife and squeeze in some glue. Then I would get a few long finish screws (with a small head). I would say two. Then drill a few pilot holes and screw in the finish joining the to pieces. Then wipe away the excess glue and fill the holes after the glue drys. This should work perfectly and in my opinion it will work better than clamps.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

You might also try Gorilla polyester glue which works great. After you apply it clean the glue residue as it drys and then after if dries carefully scrape away the hardened residue with a putty knife.