Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lardbucket_gw

Palliser Quality???? Help please!

lardbucket
14 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Palliser sofas and sleepers? Anyone own one? Thanks so much, Lardbucket

Comments (65)

• Ritchie Markes
    3 years ago

In support of Anngi's comments above, our experience with Palliser furniture has been much the same. Stay away from Palliser!! We purchased theatre recliner chairs (2 ends with armrests, 2 middle without) which started peeling about 3 years ago. At that point we had used the chairs for just over 5 years when I noticed some of the leather peeling at the head rest of my chair, the one that is used the most. Luckily I was able to find a nicely matching leather patch which fixed the area quite nicely. Unfortunately, it became a lost cause as eventually all the chairs started peeling everywhere, even the ones in the middle which had little usage compared to the ends. Every time I noticed peeling I applied some masking tape to stop it from getting worse (see photos). Mechanically, they are holding up well, so in order to continue using them for a few more years I have literally duct taped the chairs entirely in the places where our bodies make contact with the furniture. A little embarrassing when company comes over but seeing this they will also never buy Palliser.

• HU-213139360
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I purchased Palliser couch, loveseat and reclining couch over 18 years old. Starting to show wear and needing to replace them. Was going to buy Palliser again but afraid to after so many bad review. my couch was 3000 grade leather. We’re problems due to cheaper grade leather? Or has quality declined?

• PRO
    Total Home Interiors
    3 years ago

Yes, I would like to know what grade leather was purchased for those that have had peeling issues?

• Joshua Powell
    3 years ago

My best guess is that the items peeling were likely not all 100% top grain leather. Top grain leather shouldn't peel. It might fade and split over time if not conditioned and cared for as it dries out.... but splitting is still very rare.

The material must have likely been the PVC or bonded leather match material that Palliser offers which is a known quality issue across the leather industry and not exclusive to Palliser. It does not have the durability of leather. There is also a less likely possibility that it is still top grain but a pigmented leather which could result in the thick pigmented layer cracking and peeling. But still less likely to occur when compared to the vinyl materials. Essentially, it is best to stick with analine or semi-analine/analine plus materials for best long term durability.

This website details the different grade offerings: https://leathershoppes.com/product_images/leathers/pallleathers/colors.html

These lower quality materials are offered as a means to cut cost and have furniture offerings at a lower price point. Unfortunately, a lot of the sales people in stores just don't understand the product they are selling. I found out from Palliser that you have to go to at least the 3000 level to get all 100% top grain leather. The lower grades may be all PVC/leather match and no leather at all (full leather match material).... or maybe a pigmented leather just on the seating surfaces. I could be wrong but my guess is that a lot of the items above are not all top grain even though a sales person may say they are. Some of the pictures definitely suggest the material is either fabric or split leather with a vinyl coating. If they have top grain leather, it is probably a pigmented leather with the leather only on the seating areas. So I recently purchased a Palliser sectional which will be delivered in two weeks. I had to go back and forth three different times with the local store and call Palliser directly to confirm that the product I was ordering would be all 100% top grain. Some of the lower offering that are called "leather" are essentially all vinyl. If it is peeling after a few years.... it is almost always vinyl..... The 1000 grade I initially ordered (Valencia Biscotti) had pigmented leather on the seats and leather match (vinyl) on the non-touch surfaces (this would definitely peel given enough time). Then I went to the 2000 Classic Sahara which had pigmented leather on the seats and then leather split everywhere else which is a lower quality of leather and not top grain at all.... essentially a seude material which will stretch and wear out much quicker than a top grain would since the struture of the leather fibers of the split material are more open and less strong. Once I called Palliser they said you needed to go to 3000 or better to get top grain leather all over. So I settled on the Bronco Ginger which is a semi analine top grain leather with light pigmenting on the surface. Here is to hoping I didnt make a mistake here since the sectional and ottoman were about $4,100. For comparison, the 1000 level was about $2,800. Going to the 2000 added $830. Going to the 3000 Bronco series added another $415 over the 2000. I guess what I learned through this whole process is don't listen to everything the sales person tells you. You might need to do some additional research yourself as there are a lot of false claims in the leather industry as a whole (not just Palliser) and you have to be very confident you know what you are getting.

• Jill Buchmann
    3 years ago

Joshua - are you happy with what you ended up with? Loved a couch in the store today and after researching decided before reading your post that 3000 level plus was what was needed To avoid issues.

• heidiah21
    3 years ago

Horrible quality! Leather started to peel and the sofas totally destroyed!

• Joshua Powell
    3 years ago

Jill

I am absolutely in love with what I received. The quality is phenomenal! It is very soft and supple leather. Clearly of a very high quality. It reminds me of the type of leather of a super high quality leather bomber jacket. I will once again say, people need to br careful with what you buy being marketed as leather. It is very confusing. Make sure everything is 100% top grain and you won't br dissappointed.

• Trevor Taylor
    3 years ago

Avoid Palliser, I also was duped by them. Did months of research & hunting before we went for a Palliser Miami sectional. Kept receipt, no kids, pets or sunlight and surprise! Top of cushions made of bonded leather disbonded after 5 years. Even with original sales receipt, Palliser did nothing to remedy issue.

• HU-542774356
    3 years ago

Sounds familiar. Got our furniture from the now defunct Martens Furniture in Kitchener. Selling this garbage it's no wonder they went bankrupt.

The Palliser leather is ripping and delaminating despite little or no use! Purchased sofa, love seat, and arm chair April 2015. The leather started ripping off January 2020. Their leather did not last even 5 years! Paid for quality and got junk. Avoid like the plague.

• flgirl5
    3 years ago

Apologise, Joshua. I found your reply to Jill. Looks like you are still happy with your 30000 level Palliser furniture.

• Joshua Powell
    3 years ago

@flgirl5 yeah, I have not had it long. But it appears to be of very high quality. I looked at some of their 1000 amd 2000 grade pieces in the showroom and I could clearly see and feel a difference in quality. Definitely get a 3000 grade or higher to ensure a durable material.

• flgirl5
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for the information! I greatly appreciate it! I don't know what I would do without this board!

• HU-342384681
    3 years ago

I’m in the process of buying the Palliser Orid Valencia “100% leather” sofa from Macy’s department store. The sample leather swatch feels soft and appears not to have an overlay of any sort. The floor model looks and feels great as well. Has anyone had any problem with the Valencia leather losing its pigment, cracking, peeling or the “non touch” areas peeling? What is bonded leather and is it possible that the Valencia1000 grade bonded? Maggie LI New York

• Joshua Powell
    3 years ago

@HU-342384681 yes, the Valencia series is not all leather. They use bonded on the non touch surfaces. The bonded leather will eventually peel. For bonded leather they grind up leather scraps ane mix with a vinyl material. They apply this over a layer of fabric. Bonded leather will always peel given enough time. If you are okay with having to replace it in ~5 years, go with it. Though my guess is you want something that lasts. To get the best durability and 100% top grain leather all over the piece go to a 3000 grade leather. Make sure to ask that everything is all top grain leather.... no leather match..... no bonded leather...... no leather split......

The sample material was probably all leather. Look at the material on the back and sides of the sofa. It will not be the same material that you felt a sample of. The leather you felt is only limited to the actual top of the cushions and top of the arms. The other surfaces will be covered in a different material (bonded leather or leather split and are no where near as durable).

• Anita Groeneveld
    3 years ago

I just purchased a Palliser Titan motion sectional from a Store in Scottsdale AZ... $7000 real Leather I WAITED 4 months for it to arrive and honestly it is the worst quality couch I have every purchased. The stitching is crooked across the foot rests the leather across the motion headrests are all indented the stuffing is crinkled across the headrests, the back of the couch was assembled crooked and there is a 4 inch gap between the two cushions... The back of the couch on the corners the leather is all buckled up.. I honestly could not believe my eyes for 7K!!! I called the store and told them they can come right back out and pick up this piece of crap... they of corse offered me a 1500 discount to keep it... that would be a NO... I DO NOT recommend Palliser Furniture... HORRIBLE QC...

• flgirl5
    3 years ago

I wish I would have seen this a week earlier. Our order has been placed. I will keep an eye out for the issues you have seen. Would you keep us apprised of how things go?

• E H
    3 years ago

I do not recommend purchasing Palliser Theatre chairs at all. I do not write reviews but felt I had to in this situation. My chairs peeled with little use and I contacted Palliser. I received a response after a couple of emails in which I attached pictures. They referred me to the store that I purchased them from. The store said it was past the warranty and they would do nothing so I am stuck with theatre chairs of no use because if you sit on them the material attaches to your clothing. I'm going to LAZ Boy for replacements at least they stand behind their brand.

• HU-578807853
    3 years ago

Palliser Furniture Upholstery — Palliser pollock sofa and loveseat purchased 10/11/20 and delivered 1/20/21
    D dcyy Mar 03, 2021 Verified customer
    Thought palliser was a top end furniture company. Ordered all leather sofa/loveseat (not split) at extra cost, waited 3 1/2 months only to have furniture delivered that looked like it was 15 yrs. Old. There were 3 inch threads hanging from stitching on pillow arm, almost no padding on seating areas, tops of back cushions look like they're collapsing and nothing like pictured because dealer didn't have this style in stock. After complaining dealer sent repairman to fix loose stitching but said they were unable to add anything to cushions and to call palliser. The pillowtop cushion has a very small amount of fiberfill wrapped in a piece of fabric that looks like a small 3/4 inch pillow-don't know what's in the back cushions. The only cure was to take cushions to upholstery shop and have high density foam cut and placed in cushions at my expense. Not acceptable after what I paid for the set sent palliser numerous emails with pics-no response. Dealer advised returning the set and looking at other options. One problem-because it was a special order. There is a 33% cancel fee/no refunds. Not only is this going to be more costly, customer support is non-existent. And by the way-this junk was made in mexico. Pics included-you be the judge-what's it going to look like in 10 yrs.!! Pics are 1 month old!! What I wanted and what I got

• HU-31204950
    3 years ago

Purchased a beautiful Palliser recliner Leather grade 1000 couch for the rec room in 2013 and chair and hardly used it. The leather has started to peel away. A repair shop says its not leather its bonded leather or faux or PU but should be called garbage. What a terrible surprise.

• Gail Reid-Wilkinson
    3 years ago

I bought a Palliser all leather reclining sofa and chair in 1000 grade leather. In less than I year of use by two seniors the leather colour wore off on both items. I contacted Palliser a year and 4 months later when the areas became very unsightly. The leather on the cushions crease dramatically and the seat cushions remain down on favored sides. They want me to pay $750.00 plus delivery (again) to replace the two items. I own another all-leather sectional that shows no signs of colour wear, leather cushion crease or cushion slouch after 11 years of use. What a waste of money and time. Palliser have a current list price of over $6,800 CDN for these two items. Avoid Palliser.

• Martha Kuehl
    2 years ago

Warnimg ! Do not purchase Palliser It has very poor quality for a high price. I purchased a ouch, love seat and recliner and the leather has split in multiple places along the seams. I am single living alone with no pet and furniture I cant wait to replace Buyer beware

• HU-333900229
    2 years ago

Just purchased a sectional . 6 days in the house and the fabric is scratched/ torn from regular sitting on it. We were told that the fabric was durable ...well, if one week of light use is any indicator, this piece will be swiss cheese in a year.

Proformance fabric, melbourne sectional. We have been duped by the sales people. STAY CLEAR !

• A. Hunter
    2 years ago

@Joshua Powell What style name sectional is that? It's really sharp. I looked on the Palliser site and did not see that particular style, I really like the color you chose also. I am currently shopping for a leather sectional and was considering Palliser, but am surprised at all the negative reviews I am reading, so not too sure about this brand now. I see your last post was 10 months ago, so how is the sectional holding up? Would appreciate the feedback!

• dianahagenau
    2 years ago

When we were shopping for leather furniture, we really did our homework. Some of the formerly great companies started shipping their work off to China. Our criteria quickly became “Made in U.S.only”. We stuck to it and now a few years later, we still have great looking leather in our great room! Our sectional (4 recliners) in white is Flexsteel. And it is FABULOUS. Comfort, and gorgeous. Our side chair is Southern Comfort in a gray/blue tone. It’s a recliner too. You just sink into this leather. It’s all just fabulous, and I would encourage anyone to check out those two brands.

• A. Hunter
    2 years ago

@dianahagenau Good to know! Thanks for the info!

• flgirl5
    2 years ago

@dianahagenau Unfortunately, I think Flexsteel is now made overseas. Palliser is made in Canada or Mexico, if I remember correctly, but you have to be careful with the level of material you purchase.

• Damien Kalck
    2 years ago

Ours starting peeling after three years. I would never buy these again. The manufacturer said they would replace the material but we were going to have to cover the cost to reupholster but that was going to almost $3000. Terrible company. I really think there should be a class action lawsuit against them as they know the material on the chairs does not last.

• Peter Barg
    2 years ago

We have a palliser recliner that started peeling where you rest your head after about 3 years. Contacted the store where it was bought and they confirmed our extra warranty would cover it. After a few months of runaround, palliser just says we used a cleaner on it which damaged the leather and won’t honour the warranty. Total garbage product and service.

• lblumen013
    2 years ago

Hello, I've read several of your reviews on the Palliser furniture line which is very disappointing. I was looking at the 4000 grade full leather Titan sectional. Has anyone purchased this sectional and how do you like it? - Lynn B.

• Karen Liscio
    last year

Absolute Crap. I paid 13k for a white leather sectional with recliners built in 5 years ago. 2 years in , it’s discoloured cracked , peeled and the recliner buttons have fallen out of position . It’s junk and I’m throwing it out . Had no luck with Palliser direct or Urban Manor in Mississauga .
    Good luck .. Karen

• lblumen013
    last year

Thanksnod, Karenten. what grade was your leather?

• lblumen013
    last year

Auto correct chopped up my text. what grade was your leather

• phmail
    last year

I left a comment 4 years ago about the horrible quality of Palliser’s leather grade fabric. They finally gave us 50% off on a new sofa and loveseat and swore the quality issues had been corrected. A section on the new sofa is already peeling just like the original set so obviously, their quality is still horrible! It’s unbelievable that they are still in business.

• Karen Liscio
    last year

Thank you as I’m super disappointed myself . I’m getting nowhere with PALLISER…. Circle jerk . I paid 10k ,so much for this sectional hoping it would last more than a year . I think it’s not real leather . Real leather I’ve had it lasts decades , so does good fabric . To me the quality is substantially substandard for the thousands . I think it’s false advertising as my couch I don’t think is even leather . Keep pressure on them is all you can do or I’m even talking to a news crew that bust bad business and products .
    Cheers

• Lori Sterczek
    last year

I have owned three Palliser sectionals. The first one was bonded leather which held up quite well and my last two are absolutely junk. Real leather peeling only after two years of normal use and discoloration where no one sits on that particular side. I’m done purchasing any Palliser so called leather furniture. I have friends that own other brands of leather furniture and look beautiful!!

• Sam Sheh
    last year

I don’t see my problem being resolved but here’s the answer Palliser gave me (22Oct 2022) for complaining lack of support from my retailer….

They are not "our" retailer, they are an independently owned and an independently operated retailer.

Palliser does not dictate or have any say or any power on how retailers do business. If you have a problem with the retailer, please seek legal advice. We are not responsible with how retailers conduct their business.

They purchase the product from us, and they sell the products to you.

THANK GOD PALLISER DOES NOT SELL AUTOMOBILES 🙏🏽

• Rebecca Knowles
    8 months ago

I've had a Palliser sofa for more than 30 years. I have enjoyed this sofa as it was in my den or sunroom and the areas were favorite places for my daughter and two dogs. Actually, my daughter is all grown up now, and recently my dog baby (a Yorkie) crossed the rainbow bridge a few months ago. My goal upon my move to a retirement community was to replace my old sofa with a new one. The reviews have made me anxious because my sofa is still in good condition, with no fading and/or peeling. I guess I lucked up.

• Larry Reeder
    7 months ago

Has anyone purchased a Palliser Leighton set? If so has this leather held up? Salesman says this model is full leather...after reading all the reviews above not sure I believe him. Thanks

• HU-397919290
    7 months ago

I own the Pallisser reclining couch and loveseat for 4 years snd ot looks new. i also have an old Palliser couch in my sunroom that ive had for 30 years. i love the wuality of Palliater. worth the money.

• HU-397919290
    7 months ago

I love my Palliser reclining couch and loveseat. All the bad reviews are from people who purchased low quality leather. we bought the top of the line snd that does not peel. had this set for 5 years looks new and controls work great. Have another couch in my sunroom that i had for 30 years from Palliser.

• Lee Ann
    7 months ago

Palliser is horrible! we bought a sofa, loveseat and recliner in 2018. while the leather seems to be fine, the comfort is not. it has flattened out and it feels like you are sitting on a conceete block. There are only 2 of us in the househokd so its not like it is being punished. We paid $8k for it and are out looking for nee furniture…

• HU-397919290
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I have had a reclining sofa from Palliser in my sunroom for 30 yrs. The 30 yr old Palliser in living room i replaced about two years ago with Palliser reclining sofa and loveseat. Makes a difference on quality of leather. As previous comments stated need 3000 or above. Negatve comments are low grade vinyl not quality leather. Big difference in any brand you purchase.

• Joshua Powell
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Ive still been extremely satisified with my Palliser Seattle sectional in 3000 grade Bronco Ginger leather. Still looks new after almost 5 years and sits comfortably. As I said in earlier posts, get the products made from at least 3000 grade to avoid peeling. Id also in general avoid any products with a of mechanical parts and electronics. just get simple stationary furniture covered in a quality leather and it will last a very long time. Don‘t make it more complicated than it needs to be. also…… please dont just buy something from a picture without sitting on it in a store (at least a piece from the same series). you are buying this piece to sit on so be sure you like how it feels before spending thousands of dollars on a sofa. You’ll just be on here complaining about the uncofmfortable furniture you spent a lot of money on because ultimately you bought a piece without even trying it in person. Just dont do that with any manufacture unless you are okay with having to possibly replace it.

• sara fleisher
    2 months ago

I was thinking of purchasing the Brooks Palliser in a sectional in leather. all these reviews are making me nervous! I tried out the Sofa in a store and it seems very comfortable with a modern design....which is hard to find. Anyone have this sofa? Thoughts???

• Karen Liscio
    2 months ago

I spent 13k on my Palliser. Was a sectional with built in recliners . 1.5 years later the buttons had fallen out of place so if you lie down or sit you don’t need to reach between the seats to the buttons they start moving on there own . Try finding the buttons that are buried , fallen out of there perspective control pockets to reposition the seats . The leather looks 100 years old as it’s not dyed right through so it’s discoloured , the colour that must have just been spray painted , the clear coat peeling . Now I’m stuck with a sectional I thought I’d have for decades is ready for the garbage . It’s an embarrassing sight to my home and equally embarrassing is Palliser customer service . Pictures very detailed they brushed me off . I’m disgusted . My advice …. Buy something cheap , enjoy it for a few years then throw it out or try Costco as they seem to stand behind their products . I could have bought 5 , $3,000 sectional for the crap $13 plus tax Palliser !!!!!

• phmail
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Our first set of a Palliser sofa and loveseat started peeling so bad after about two years, it was awful. We fought for months with the company and they finally agreed to a replacement set for 50% off while swearng they had resolved the peeling problem. This second sofa started peeling after about the same amount of time and we have to cover it with throws to hide it. Horrible quality and worthless customer service. We are looking at a new set from a different manufacturer. We will never buy anything from Palliser again.

• Karen Liscio
    2 months ago

Well said . I had same peeling but no offer of another . My 13k sectional junk after less than two years .Horrible company , Customer service . Palliser …. Quite frankly should be out of business .

• HU-504062930
    last month

I have had a bad experience with Pallister. I purchased what i thought was a quality leather sectional 7 years ago. The leather started cracking at 6 years and is so unsightly now that it needs tossed. i own a leather loveseat purchased from another business 24 years ago and it’s still in perfect condition. I will never purchase anything from Pallister again.

• H. sarakali
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Pallister

I recently purchased a Palliser loveseat and sofa. First off, the sales person never told me anything about the cushions being permanently sewn into the furniture. Since my ankles get very swollen, at the end of the evening I use two hand towels on top of pillows and lay across the loveseat to put my feet up.

I tried to do this with this particular loveseat, and could not because my arm continued to fall off the loveseat as it was only 21 inches deep. I’m only 5’4 and not big. I then got up and tried to pull the cushions out and make them longer but to my horror found out the cushions cannot be moved !

Now, the sofa…. It was just a matter of maybe eight or 10 minutes, and my spine started hurting because the back of the sofa is so hard ! It’s like sitting on a rock. I have never had such an experience with furniture before!

These two items were very expensive and I expected they would be with me a while, but not so.

Also, the cushion on the sofa is very wrinkled on the edge. I can’t turn it around because as I just mentioned, it’s permanently sewn into the sofa. I would never recommend this company to anyone. This has been a terrible experience for me. Buyer, beware! Examine every item you purchase!

• Karen Liscio
    16 days ago

You can see cracking and discolouration . The picture with the pillow is a side we don’t use and it’s discolouring the seat compared to the back . Looks dirty but it gets cleaned with soap and water. I don’t think it’s leather or if it is something went wrong in the dye process . I got nowhere with Palliser and $13,000 is ready for the dump. Recliner buttons have fallen out of position and are buried within the couch somewhere so the recliner feature doesn’t work . Don’t buy a Palliser!! I like companies that actually stand behind there products !