Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebse_gw

Simmons Beauty Rest or Stearns and Foster?

ebse
14 years ago

My husband and I are looking to replace our 7 year Sealy mattress. We tested them at the stores, and selected 2 that we liked.

The Simmons Hamlet Firm retailed for 1800, but we negotiated down to 1230 (some kind of competitor matching price offer).

The S&F Newgate Luxury Firm retailed for 1700 and the sales guy told us that S&F doesn't allow much flexibility in their pricing, so he agreed to eat the sales tax and offered free delivery, but hte price is still 1700.

2 questions: Is that true about S&F? Also, does anyone have an opinion on either mattress? This is a big deal for us and I'd love some input. THANKS!

Comments (7)

• ebse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ugh oh-- we just ordered the simmons! My current mattress, a sealy, has been a huge disappointment. I don't blame you for being cynical. These things cost a lot of money, and it doesn't seem that the value matches.

Oh well... good luck to you, and thanks for the comment.

• donnawb
    14 years ago

I purchased a Simmons about 3 months ago. So far so good but who knows.

• mkmay
    14 years ago

I purchased a Stearns and Foster mattress in January 2009 and have been very pleased. I was able to get a queen mattress for $600 however I did buy it at a wholesale dealership. The S&F mattress was the second one I tried as the first one (different brand) was sagging terribly after just 2 nights. S&F is a very good brand but keep searching as you should be able to find it for a cheaper price.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    14 years ago

Stearns is a part of Sealy. email Stearns and they'll reply from an @sealy.com address.

All mattresses will have a chance of getting that body impression. The more fluff padding over the springs the easier it will be for you to get 1 1/2 inches or whatever Simmons or S&F is requiring these days.

Warranty issues are pointlessly complicated from the store you're buying from.

Also, was the S&F salesman saying he'd take 7% off the price or he just wouldn't charge sales tax?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sealy Web Site

• mooger
    14 years ago

I have been sleeping on my Simmons Beautyrest pillow top mattress for almost 3 years. It is the best mattress I have ever had. I can feel the support in my back - sooooo good! Although I sleep in the same place in the bed, there doesn't seem to be any indentation or sagging. I love it!

• gorilla_x
    13 years ago

Just chiming in since wife and I just purchased a new king mattress/box. We had it down to Simmons World Class "Vibrance" (that's what it is called at mattressfirm), and the Sterns and Foster "Fiona" (again, that's what it is called at mattressfirm).

Went home after shopping and did some research, and found Macy's/Sears and the other department stores were way cheaper than mattressfirm (and mattress barn, etc) store for the S&F. Macy's was $420 cheaper.

And all stores have different model names on their mattresses... e.g. S&F "Fiona" is the S&F "Monet's Garden" at Macy's. Makes it difficult to compare models from store to store.

And to bussy2 (or anyone else in that situation): a mattress without the manufacture's label on it is a counterfeit. Don't buy it.