Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repair solid rosewood furniture

Posted by splais (splais1@gmail.com) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 20:26

I just purchased a set of rosewood furniture. It is handmade solid wood bedroom and dining room set. It is very nice high end furniture. One of the bed posts and one of the doors in china cabinet have a seam separating. Any ideas on the best way to repair this? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repair solid rosewood furniture

Rosewood and other similiar species is grown/harvested/machined and built into furniture in the tropics. Thus its not been climatized to the drier and cooler areas in the northern hemisphere. The results is shrinking or checking of this wood, and I would venture to say this is whats going on with your bedroom set. Most likely it will continue in other areas, if you run the AC or heat, with humidity levels below 45%.
You can use epoxy wood fillers that matches close to the color finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood fillers

o
RE: repair solid rosewood furniture

I doubt it is true Rosewood, as it would most likely cost in the 10's of thousands of dollars. I would go back to the store you bought it, and ask for assistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here