Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Varnish Teak outdoor bench, how to

Posted by rjaero19473 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 19:46

We have a Teak outdoor bench that we want to finish and put on our covered porch. Today I sanded the blench smooth and cleaned with oxygen bleach to get rid of the mold and mildew. Once the bench dries thoroughly I want to finish with a varnish. We want the bench to be dark, ideally I want it to have a wet look when finished. The bench will be next to our front door which is a mahogany stained a dark reddish brown, so I would like to the bench to be as dark as possible and to highlight the reddish tones in the wood. I read a few websites about the process and one guy said to clean the bench with denatured alcohol before varnishing, and then for the first coat of varnish to cut the varnish with laquer thinner, then afterwards gradually reduce the cutting until the last coat is not cut as all. Another website said to prepare a mixture of thinner, linseed oil, and varnish.

I've never finished Teak wood before so any help would be great. If you ahve any suggestions on the procedure or which product to buy I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Varnish Teak outdoor bench, how to

Well, most people don't put any finish at all on teak....it has enough natural oil to withstand a lot. BUT....if they do they finish it with teak oil....not a varnish. AND...if you mix lacquer thinner with varnish you run the danger of the finish not drying properly.
Just oil the bench.
Linda C

o

Linda C is correct; teak should be oiled & to keep teak from graying teak oil should be applied every year.

o

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with the teak oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here