Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom270_gw

How much sectional is too much sectional?

mom270
12 years ago

We have a small den, 16 x 12. We are replacing a 3-seat couch and a two-seat couch. I'm thinking of a sectional but am worried about overwhelming a small room. If we got one that takes up 9.4' on the 16' wall and 6.5' on the 12' wall, does that sound okay? Is there a general rule of thumb for how to size it? It won't be a deep sectional such as the Axis from Crate and Barrel since we're a short family. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (7)

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Sounds fine. If it's small scale & doesn't have overwhelming arms etc, it will work in fine. You'll have seating for 6 now (I assume) instead of 5. Sectionals maximize seating, however, sometimes lighting can be an issue because you're losing that table & lamp in the corner. If anything I'd be more concerned about that.

~Jeana

• mom270
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeana, you make an excellent point that I hadn't thought of. We would miss our corner lamp. You must be a fantastic stylist!

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

More importantly, where is the sectional going to "land" in the room. We have a sectional and while it is really pretty and allows us to all be able to sit together and watch a movie, it can only be in one place...hence, I call it "the spaceship"...it cuts off the flow in the room. We could solve the problem by moving the cable connection and the tv, but then we have "glare issues"...didn't go over well with dh...just some things to consider...

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

To have a sectional in a room, you have to consider the balance of the entire room...lighting included. I would like to see a diagram of the entire room, mom270, & thanks for the compliment!!!

~Jeana

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I assumed that mom270 meant that one side of the sectional would be 9'4" along one wall, & then the other side would be 6'5" in addition to the approximate 36" corner of the sectional, but perhaps I am mistaken & mom270 should clarify. It is indeed true that the smallest functioning sectional would be a corner section then 2 seat sections on either side. If mom270 currently has a 3 seat sofa & 2 seat loveseat, then she should have room for a sectional that is 3 seats, corner, & then 2 seats. And as for the corner seat not being used, I have found that to be true, but also people like it for leg stretch out room while laying down. I would prefer to have room at either end of the sectional for tables & lighting, or, at the very least floor lamps or wall swing arm lamps.

~Jeana

• mom270
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The designer who gave me the estimate told me she made a mistake because she forgot to include the corner piece in her measurements, so it would take up 87 inches or 7.25 feet on the short 12' wall. I think Jeana's point about the lighting really killed my desire for the sectional because the overhead lighting in the room is not good and we enjoy our floor lamp in the corner.

Jeana, since you seem to be very knowledgeable, I am thinking about Lee Industries for the sofa and loveseat. Do you think they're good/worth the money? Thanks.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Hmmmm...Lee. Well, I'd prefer that you look at La-Z-Boy or Bassett Furniture.

~Jeana