Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country459

Rowe Furniture: Good or Bad?

country459
16 years ago

I've been reading lots of comments on this site (both good and bad) about Rowe Furniture. We've found a few different sofas that we like - they happen to be Rowe Furniture brand, and we don't have any experience with them. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not Rowe produces quality furniture? It sounds like the company has had some problems in the past with quality, reliability, etc., but maybe now is back on track? Thoughts? (We'd be buying the sofa from McGregors Furniture/Kenwood House, if that makes a difference.)

Comments (119)

• Xty G (z4)
    3 years ago

Hu-111659508, which manufactures do you suggest that are better quality but not marked up 100-150%, from your experience?

• Susan Horst
    3 years ago

We bought a Rowe sofa in 2000 and loved it! It had nice firm seat cushions. We just recently replaced it after 20 years of great use. Excellent quality.

• craftybrush51
    3 years ago

Anyone had to replace the recliner mechanism? Can not locate just the pull wire.

• allrnothing
    3 years ago

We bought a Robin Bruce Bristol sofa that set us back close to $4K cdn after tax (the most expensive piece of furniture we've ever bought but we splurged as the floor model felt great and the sales people told us the quality was so good it would last us ages). It arrived with a a slip cover that was mis-sewn, a scuff on the fabric, and loose threads that needed trimming on every cushion. Took 4 months to get the slip cover replaced. One week into our new sofa it also began to creak like crazy. Everytime we stand up it makes a huge creaking noise. It's kind of embarassing when we have guests it's so noisy. They won't fix it. We can't identify the problem area of the frame without cutting into the upholstery. Honestly, they have no quality control and our couch is the crappier than our cheapest furniture.

• HU-111659508
    3 years ago

I previously used Rowe for clients looking for upholstered furniture. Unfortunately, after two very poorly executed pieces of furniture and a customer service experience that left me speechless I refuse to use them when designing for clients. When I complained to the company and asked for a solution to the issue I was told they would reimburse the cost of the furniture but they would also close my Acct. Speaks columns about the quality of the product and the quality of the customer service. Be very careful... there are many home stores in the area who sell this brand of furniture. Buyer beware!

• danilegs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have custom accent chairs and noticed the stitching was pulling after having them for less than 6 wks. They ultimately starter to rip at the seams. I also ordered dining chairs and have paid for them yet haven’t received them 20+wks later. I am gravely concerned about the quality of what I will get and eager to find out what kind of solution they will over as I’d almost prefer a full refund so I can move onto another brand!

• jszat4
    3 years ago

I found a Rowe sectional today that I was almost ready to buy. Second guessing it now. Can someone recommend a good moderately priced manufacturer?

• Eileen
    3 years ago

Lazyboy or Bassett great construction for fair price!

• michelle omenski
    3 years ago

We bought a Rowe sofa in 2000 and have loved quality and comfort. we are about to replace it.

• Kelley Miller
    3 years ago

I just purchased the Rowe - Robin Bruce Kara swivel accent chair from Mathis Brothers in Tulsa. I enjoy a higher quality furniture due to back and neck issues. I’m moving from bed to chairs all night long. After reading this information, and never owning a Robin Bruce piece, I really hope I did not make a $3k mistake. Wonder if I can have a higher density fill so It doesn’t break down so quickly. Will keep you posted.

• Kim Sandina
    3 years ago

I bought Rowe furniture ( sofa and loveseat) for the first time 17 years ago..

I had a sofa arm seam loose and they replaced it immediately. Never a problem since.

Ive just ordered another sofa because I’m doing a remodel, but my sofa and loveseat are in excellent condition. The fabric is a bit soiled, but that’s my fault. There are no dents in the seat cushions or worn fabric, no breakdiwns of the frame... nothing.

The throw pillows are so good, I’ll just re-cover them myself to keep using them.

I’ll only buy Rowe for a sofa, ever!

• E Jak
    2 years ago

I’ve lived with 4 Rowe sofas. The first three withstood everything (purchased in the 80’s and early 2000’s). The most recent one, purchased in 2019, is already in awful shape even with the cores being replaced — the 2000 sofa sits next to it and is in better condition. I’m not sure what’s changed but like another poster, this one is a total loss.

• icanea
    2 years ago

We ended up ordering two new sofas from Rowe and the quality is definitely worse compared to the sofa we ordered 10 years ago. I don’t expect them to last nearly as long.

• Xty G (z4)
    2 years ago

E Jak and icanea, which model sofas are your most recent purchases? What kind of cushions do they have? i am considering a sectional from their ”lounge” collection that has their Harmony cushions. which are a mix of different foams and fiber inside. i was told by a rep that the Harmony cushions are their best cushion and should last many many years. These cushions are why I am considering it over a slightly less expensive Room and board sectional which has down blend wrapped around foam. The rep told me the Harmony cushions should be less maintenance than down. Not as much fluffing which i would love after living with a down blend sofa for many years.

icanea, what makes you feel your sofas are lesser quality than your older one?

• Marcy Levin
    2 years ago

Hancock and Moore is by far a superior piece of furniture than a Rowe. I bought a Rowe about 20 years ago and it lasted....today I use it for a dog bed. I needed a new sofa, but because of all the negative comments throughout my research regarding Rowe, I searched for another brand. I wanted quality and made in America. I researched extensively and found that Hancock and Moore made quality upholstery. I orderd a leather sofa and was extremely happy with the product and customer service from the supplier. I am now in the market for a recliner chair. I am headed back to Hancock and Moore. You get what you pay for.

• Aisha Dickerson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

They also take far too long to make pieces and have terrible customer service. I ordered a chair 22 weeks ago, and they just keep pushing the date back. But they say they can’t cancel the order. I’m contacting my bank to get the funds for unreceived goods.

• Sam Robi
    2 years ago

oumiller53 How did your Robin Bruce chair turn out? I'm still considering Rowe, despite the comments here. I haven't ruled it out because there are complaints about every brand. It seems like quality is just not there in even the high-end brands now. I'd definitely buy a high-end sofa if it was built to last and had nice fabric options.

• Sam Robi
    2 years ago

christinaroache Did you end up buying a sofa? Are you happy with it so far? If so, what brand did you get? The comment you made 2 years ago is exactly how I'm feeling right now. I'm discouraged. Nothing seems to be made well anymore. Sigh...

• icanea
    2 years ago

We ordered the Townsend and Bradford sofas with the foam cushions. The Townsend immediately started to pill. Rowe said this is normal wear and to shave it. The stitching looks like it is pulling on the Bradford as well. The Townsend is also much harder and less comfortable than the Townsend we had previously as a sectional. Hope that’s helpful. With other options on the market I cannot recommend Rowe any longer and will not repurchase from them.

• Sam Robi
    2 years ago

icanea I'm so sorry. That's awful. If you don't mind my asking one question... I'm just wondering which fabric is pilling? Is it a poly blend performance fabric? So I can attempt to avoid it on a different brand of sofa, not Rowe. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• icanea
    2 years ago

Yes it is. The other is 100% cotton and has held up well.

• Sam Robi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

icanea Thank you so much. Sincerely appreciative! One last question. Has the cotton stretched and gotten wrinkly? I'm sorry! I feel really terrible bothering you again. I want 100% cotton, but have been a little concerned about stretching. Again, I'm so sorry you aren't happy with your sofas.

• icanea
    2 years ago

Here’s a photo of the cotton sofa. It has stretched some.

• Liz
    2 years ago

I just purchased two Rowe slip covered swivel chairs, at a significant price. I’ve had the chairs not even two months and I am very displeased. The cushions are already getting flat and the comfort level is poor. The fabric is less than stellar and overall frustrating. I will never use this company again.

• Mary Ann Digan
    2 years ago

Rowe is junk. We bought two swivel chairs that look ok but are horrible to sit in. They collpase and offer barely any support for your spine. I weigh 120 lbs and cannot sit in these chairs. My husband is 230 lb and needless to say he hates them. They were expensive. Matter Bros Furniture says tough luck.

• davitma
    2 years ago

I purchased two Robin Bruce Brooke club chairs and am ottoman in March from North Carolina. They were ready in September, but took another month to be delivered to me in Florida. We’ve only had them a month, but so far we are happy with the quality and they are extremely comfortable.

• Sam Robi
    2 years ago

They look nice! Your home looks lovely! What foam did you get in the cushions? Thx!

• davitma
    2 years ago

Hi Sam. Thanks. They came standard with the The Cloud or Lisa cushions, which is a mix of feather, down and polyester fiber. https://www.robinbruce.com/quality/construction

• Mark Timcke
    2 years ago

We purchased Rowe sofas back in 1997. We live in Australia and had them shipped from the US. I remember them taking around 6-8 months to arrive (from when the order was placed)
    The sofas were in our formal lounge for over a decade, extremely comfortable, I love these chairs.
    We have had so many different sofas over the years, but we have always kept our Rowe sofas somewhere in our homes.
    A few years ago I took them to a upholsterer and had them recovered, he told me they were a quality construction. So it’s such a shame to see the negative reviews.
    We are currently building a new home and we are seriously considering re upholstering the Rowe sofas and taking them with us again.
    (Image attached re covered sofa)…..
    Our children were born and grew up with these chairs, maybe grand children will sit on them one day 😉

• Victoria
    2 years ago

I also have a Rowe sofa with bench, down cushion, and loose back cushions, nailhead, and came with 6 feather throw pillows. I purchased in 1999. It’s been amazing. It suffered soot damage from the Marshall wildfire in CO in December. I wonder if I can have it reupholstered? Does anyone know?

• pattikee
    2 years ago

I am very disappointed in the 2 sofas I bought less than 5 years ago. We are awaiting our 4th set of cushions. The cushions compress and don’t recover. They look terrible and are extremely uncomfortable. I also had a Rowe sofa that’s about 15 years old and still looks great. The quality has definitely deteriorated.

• sandyannsmith
    2 years ago

Im wondering which model sofa you purchased and which seat cushion option?

• Rachel
    2 years ago

pattikee Sorry you're going through this. Furniture buying is a nightmare these days. A sales guy just told me yesterday that some of Rowe's cushions are better than others. Which cushions do you have? I'm sorry to bother you with questions...

• Judy Kanary
    last year

I've have 2 Rowe Slipcovered sofas for almost 20 years, with an extra set of slipcovers, so they still look great after nine grandchildren enjoying many summers here, and we live on LakeHuron, water, sand etc. they have held up beautifully, perhaps the quality was better back then, I can still order new slipcovers for them still, however we are moving and they are too large-scaled for the toom I'd put them in. They were in the $2,000 price range each.

• Kelley Miller
    last year

I am following up to a prior post in January 2021 of a Rowe Robin Bruce Kira chair I ordered from Mathis Brothers in Tulsa. The chair took forever to manufacture which is fine. I have been HIGHLY disappointed in the quality. I purchased the chair along with an 18” ottoman to use as a side table with a nice tray. The foam is falling lopsided off of the center of the ottoman. I rarely use it to plop my feet up but it looks like a mattress falling off of a box spring. The chair itself is horribly filled, so it sinks and in doing so it lowers the body so much that the arms of the chair are entirely too high for me to relax on. I had several back and foot surgeries so I had to sit for many weeks in the chair. The chair — I discovered — actually caused me tendinitis in my elbows. For me, this outfit is just not usable. Sadly disappointing since it cost me around $4800 for the two pieces. Won’t purchase Robin Bruce products in the new house.

• Sandy Thompson
    last year

I purchased 2 Rowe sofas in 2008, and four chairs. They held up amazingly well. I’m very impressed with the quality. I can’t speak to current standards of today but I actually recovered 2 of the 4 Rowe chairs recently because I changed my decor. I took off the original fabric and the construction was rock solid. I hated to get new chairs because of the imported garbage being sent to the US today. I also didn’t have kids jumping on my sofas and chairs. How you treat furniture makes a big difference. I never abused my furniture. My sister in the other hand bought a Rowe sofa and she let her kids jump all over it. She’s replaced 4 couches since 2008, I still have mine and it looks great.

• Shoafa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Beware! would not purchase this brand. I am on my 3rd set of Sylvie sofas by Rowe. They creak everytime you stand or sit. $2800 each. i can not imagine what a year after having them is going to sound like! Beyond disappointed!

• acrelan
    10 months ago

I purchased the Rowe Cabin sofa C920 six years ago and rarely sat on it until we moved and put it in the family room 2 years ago. After less than a year the fabric began pilling and some staples in the frame started pushing up under the cushions. The other thing I noticed the T-style cushions are awful. It feels like you're leaning toward the middle when you sit on the end. I contacted the retailer and they gave me the number to the repairman, but we had to pay for the repair. I'm not impressed with the quality of Rowe at all and will not buy again...

• Decorate
    9 months ago

acrelan I hope you don't mind a question about the fabric. Is it a woven looking fabric or a linen-look? Do you know what the fiber(s) is, polyester, blend, etc? My mom's recovering a couch (because why pay for the junky furniture they seem to be building today). She wants to avoid excessive pilling! Thanks!

• Mary Greco
    9 months ago

Purchased a Rowe Madeline sofa in Federal Blue velvet less than six months ago. Completely worn; barely presentable. Normal use. Avoid at all costs.

• Allison Cormier
    8 months ago

I bought the Rowe Monaco sectional in 2012. We are a family of 5 and it has been a true work horse for our family. The fabric is a gray velour (I forget the exact name) but has been very easy to clean. The cushions were rotated regularly so they all have even wear. No one can believe this sectional is 11 years old. Will buy Rowe again due to the positive experience we’ve had.

• wayne7409
    6 months ago

I bought a rowe sofa for $2300.00, and waited 8 months for it. It's as of this months 2 years old. I HATE IT,HATE IT HATEIT. It is the most horrible uncomfortable sofa I have ever sat on and I am 72 years old. I was not happy with it from day one . The store said I needed to break it in. Well 2 yrs later and it's still a piece of ----!!! Whats more Rowe would never tqake responsibility for and passed my complaints on to the vendor. The vendor has tried everything to make it right but it is still horrible!!!!. IMANGINE trying to lay down on the sofa and you litterally have to brace yourself cause it feels like your going to roll off.!!!! I was told perhaps I wasn't lyimg down properly, or a sofa isn't meant to be a sleeping piece of furniture. Don't buy Rowe furniture even if it is Made in America!!!

• wayne7409
    6 months ago

Oh and I need to add the 1sy thing I noticed when the new sofa arrive was that the seams on both arms wwere different.

• Wanessa M
    3 months ago

Do not buy it. I also loved the Sofa at the reseller and the one I got it was not the same fabric, after 3 months of use the shape was terrible and the worst part is that feathers poke us all the time.

Worst purchase I even made and they do not return my emails about the warranty, I had to seek the BBB.

• ejimummy
    3 months ago

WHWWEW

• ejimummy
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

We purchased the Sylvie Sectional through our designer earlier this year. It finally arrived after 6 months and within weeks it looked awful. The fabric pills and is even coming apart at some seams. The cushions do not hold their shape and we already had them replaced by the company as a "one time favor." The seat cushions are so unsupportive and just sink. It's truly embarrassing to have this couch when all of our other furniture is so nice. People ask us if it is our old couch since our remodel. I'm not exaggerating when I say that our IKEA sectional lasted us and was more comfortable than this sectional that we spent over 7k on. We are so disappointed and left with no recourse. I will never again buy a Rowe or Robin Bruce product. This was supposed to last us 10 years and it's barely made it a few months.

• HU-817736410
    3 months ago

Weve had our $ 3,200 Rowe sofa for 3 months. after using during Christmas holiday, the cushions look 5 yrs old. not going to argue with Fowler Brothers because they are jerks, just giving to one of our kids & replacing with a better brand.

• Anne McCourtney
    3 months ago

Rowe has been pretty bad for several years now. I stopped doing business with them after many customer service issues and overall poor quality. I couldn’t, in good conscience, offer that brand to my clients. Maybe go toward a better quality piece from Lee Industries or Michael Berman. Good luck!

• HU-625545450
    2 months ago

we puurchased 2 couches a year ago wish i could send them back very dissapointed the coushins are horrible i would never recomend this furniture to anyone. its sad that people spend that kind of money on furniture anf cant wait for the day to get rid of it depressed that i spent so much money and its horrible.

• HU-821433770
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

I have a sectional by Rowe that love, 22 years old. Shopping for a new sofa, l'm surpised to see so many horrible reviews. But iI did some research... They got bought out in 2018... .. New owners might be the issue and the high price increase! Rowe Furniture was acquired by Markor International Home Furnishings on Jan 9, 2018... I found a sofa chaise I like from them, but now I'm hesitant!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida