Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reupholster dining chairs without pads

Posted by sarky1 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 19:02

I just inherited my grandfathers dining set, but the chair fabric coming off reveals what looks like straw and what I think was padding but now crumbles to the touch and smelled revolting. When I got that stuff off I have what you see in the picture with the raised metal.
I've done basic recovering before but now I clearly have no idea what I am doing. Not sure how to recover a pad that doesn't exist or what to do next...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reupholster dining chairs without pads

Here goes:
The seat height should be 20" to 21" so will need the correct amount of padding to get their.
What you will need:
Burlap or FLW cloth or similar stapled over springs,
Edge-roll (search terms "edge roll for upholstery"
Seat decking: a dense fiber pad to isolate between springs and foam,
Polyurethane foam; 1.8 density 32: to 45 ULD, depends on thickness of foam to bring seat height up to correct height,
Cotton or polyester padding over foam; this makes pulling fabric down and around the seat.
Best to upholster a muslin cover first, before attaching the fabric.
Check in local yellow pages for upholstery supplies or search online.

o

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
I have a lot of things to learn to get this one done.
Any other advice or ideas welcome...
Thx!

o

Check out this link below. It has pictures that may help you to envision rmanbike's process. You won't need to pay attention to her spring tying technique. Just scroll down to where she attaches the burlap, edge roll, etc.

Also, a helpful book I've used is Singer Upholstery Basics. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics, but it's likely available online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betsy Speert Chair Project

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here