Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recovering dining chairs in chenille

Posted by cba6777 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 18:54

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I have been working on recovering our kitchen chairs and dining room chairs to replace worn fabric. I have successfully recovered one of the kitchen chairs with a new vinyl to replace the ripped seat cover that was on it. I had looked up several how-to's on line to figure out how to do it, and it came out great!

Now on to the dining room chairs. I bought a textured black fabric that I found out later was chenille. (I don't sew, I really would like to learn!) While laying out the fabric to cut, I discovered it sheds A LOT. Shed on the floor, on my clothes.. .now I'm wondering if I made a mistake in buying this type of fabric. It was from a discount fabric shop, so maybe the quality is the problem.

Is there anything I can do to keep the fabric from shedding on people's clothing when they use the chairs? Is it only shedding because I am cutting it? Should I wash the fabric first? Anyone have the same experience?

At this point I'm not sure if I should just scrap the fabric and shop at another fabric store, or if I can use the fabric I already bought.

Thanks for any insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recovering dining chairs in chenille

Chenille also doesn't wear well and will be worn down quickly from people sitting down and getting up all the time.

I have a chenille bathrobe I bought three years ago. It is STILL shedding all over the place!

Personally, I wouldn't put all that work in using chenille. I think you want a fabric that is sturdy and wears well.

o

Thanks, Tibbrix. The only thing I was thinking of was that the chairs in the dining room are used only 1-2x per year, so I wasn't worried about too much wear and tear, just the fabric rubbing off on the few times we use them.

Is there a fabric you can recommend? The fabric that was on it from the manufacturer was a type of waffle weave, black fabric. Even with our cats, it has worn well - but the FL sun has faded it to the point that I thought the fabric was purple!

I was drawn to the chenille because it also had a texture (the chairs are a simple cherry type wood, and since it's sort of an asian themed dining room I didn't want a pattern, yet wanted some interest to the fabric).

o

Asian theme, huh? That would bring to my mind, anyway, fabrics more along the lines of silk or similar. How about a jacquard to give it texture but not a print, per se?

o

Chenille is not a particularly good fabric for an area that is likely to get wet, thus I would not recommend washing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light spots on chenille

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here