Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cba6777

Recovering dining chairs in chenille

cba6777
10 years ago

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I have been working on recovering our kitchen chairs and dining room chairs to replace worn fabric. I have successfully recovered one of the kitchen chairs with a new vinyl to replace the ripped seat cover that was on it. I had looked up several how-to's on line to figure out how to do it, and it came out great!

Now on to the dining room chairs. I bought a textured black fabric that I found out later was chenille. (I don't sew, I really would like to learn!) While laying out the fabric to cut, I discovered it sheds A LOT. Shed on the floor, on my clothes.. .now I'm wondering if I made a mistake in buying this type of fabric. It was from a discount fabric shop, so maybe the quality is the problem.

Is there anything I can do to keep the fabric from shedding on people's clothing when they use the chairs? Is it only shedding because I am cutting it? Should I wash the fabric first? Anyone have the same experience?

At this point I'm not sure if I should just scrap the fabric and shop at another fabric store, or if I can use the fabric I already bought.

Thanks for any insight!

Comments (4)