Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Leather on sides of sofa?

Posted by lardbucket (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 18:45

Is split leather that is used on the non-seating areas of a protected leather sofa(semi-analine)durable? Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Leather on sides of sofa?

For any questions on leather you should get in touch with Duane at MyFurnitureForum.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My Furniture Forum

o

Its a way of saving the costs of using top full grain leather in areas thats not really needed, such as outside arms and backs. If the leather on the inside- seat/back cushions and arms of a good quality top full grain aniline dye, without a lot of pigments, then I wouldnt hesitate to have matching split leather on the outsides.

o

Thanks for responses. Manbike, I noticed you discouraged semi-aniline pigmented leather. Actually, with the use my sofa will get, I think I need that type leather. You see, I have grandkids and pets that tend to rough house. Sometimes a baby may wet or spit up on the furniture. So, given that, do you think the semi-analine top grain corectted/ pigmented leather would be okay in the seating areas for me? Is there a difference in corrected and pigmented? Thanks for your input. Anyone else's input is appreciated too.

o

Leather in itself meaning its "natural qualities" is a pretty durable substance. If properly processed and tanned it will last for many years of children and pets. Sure by adding more pigments and also a heavier finish will make the leather more scratch and stain resistance at the expensive of softness and breath-ability. Corrected hides usually is of a lower grade hide that needs to be buffed-filled and stamped to create a more even-desirable leather. I dont recommend any products to treat your leather, mainly because all the ones I have seen doesnt provide any real test data that their product works, and I have seen too many people cause real harm to their upholstery leather by using these products.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here