Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlweaving_marji

Reupholster Baker sofa or buy new?

mlweaving_Marji
10 years ago

I have the Baker churchill dressmaker sofa that I purchased in 1983. They still make it, and I've checked it out and now it's over $6,000 w the basic fabric choice.
I love the size, it's always been the most comfortable sofa. I had it reupholstered in 1994. In 2005 I gave it to my son who used it for several years in their home.
Now I've got it back, and it will fit perfectly in the living room we are building.
Do you think it's worth reupholstering? It's gotten continuous use for close to 30 years.
What are the considerations I need to know about if we decide to reupholster it?
A new $6000 sofa is not in the budget. If we buy new we won't be able to spend much more than the $1500-$2000 I've budgeted for reupholstering this one.
What are your thoughts?

Comments (13)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I agree with Tibb. We just bought a Hancock Moore sofa and we are very pleased with it. The quality is great and the leather is beautiful but it was expensive. As long as you find a good upholsterer you won't be sorry that you kept your quality piece.

• mlweaving_Marji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. The frame is still good, it's been well taken care of and not abused, just normal wear and tear.
    Originally it was a down wrapped cushion. I'm sure when it was reupholstered in the 90's the down wrap went away. Is it possible to get that again? I need to figure out a.) how to find a good upholsterer in a new area - not metropolitan and not a lot of choices, and b.) where to research about cushions and what questions I need to ask.
    Do the springs wear out?

• vedazu
    10 years ago

When you get the answer to the question about down wrapped cushions let me know, too. I've re-upholstered my Baker sofa and Henredon chairs multiple times, but the cushions are now some sort of foam wrapped in something or another......the cushion question is the most difficult to solve.

• roxanna
    10 years ago

out of lurkdom to add my 2 cents worth on this topic. I have a Baker sofa bought c.1980 with down-covered dense foam seat cushions and feather&down loose back cushions. About 18 years later, I had it re-upholstered (new colors for new house) and the cushions rebuilt with the same down-covered foam and feather&down. A local upholsterer who did exactly what I wanted, happily. The "new" cushions and fabric are still in prime condition, as is the sofa carcass -- Baker really did make an excellent product, so there was never any question in my mind whether to re-do this piece or buy new. At the time of purchase, the sofa cost $2000, a hefty amount back in the day! It certainly was worth recovering, and I believe I could do so again in the future if warranted, if I live long enough! Otherwise, I fully expect my kids/grandkids to inherit the sofa and for it to still have years of good use.

If you communicate carefully with your upholsterer, you should have no problem getting the down-covered cushions you want. Be specific and stand your ground if he/she wants to substitute something else!! And good luck (if you haven't already solved your sofa problem).

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

You can't beat good quality. Like the others are saying, I'd definitely reupholster it. Talk to a few different upholsterers in your area, letting them know what you want. See if you can see any of their work, as well, to make sure you're getting good quality work. Good luck. Post pictures when you're done, if that's the way you go.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Vedazu is exactly correct: the cushion issue nowadays seems to be the most difficult to resolve. I suspect you have a much greater chance of getting a very good, quality cushion via a really good re-upholsterer than by having a new custom sofa built. In fact, ideally, I would advise people who are buying new sofas to forgo the cushion and have that made separately and privately, not via the sofa manufacturer. It's so obscene because not being able to get a really well-made cushion, dense, resilient, doesn't sink, comfortable, etc., for a sofa is like not being able to get good tires for your BMW or Mercedes or something. Cushion is the most important part! I just bought two custom sofas - first was an absolute nightmare, and I took a total bath on it. Second one a Hickory chair, incredible frameâ¦but both, cushion fails. And what was most maddening was that both companies acted like I, the customer, was supposed to be the cushion expert and they just followed my orders. Really backward and frustrating.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Where are you located? I know a bunch of upholsterers throughout the US and Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: why reupholster

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Get an estimate from the upholsterer so you know where you stand.

You can get a good fabric sofa for $2000. I might look at the new sofa offerings and see what you can find. As far as cushions. You can also choose good cushions and they are available.

• marinnikki
    7 years ago

I know this is an old post but decided to respond anyway. You can purchase Baker's cushions and fabrics from Good's Home Furnishings in North Carolina. The fabric I love is $1550 for 20 yards.

• anlerstang
    5 years ago
    I know this is an old post- and I tossed an oldie but goodie hand me down♀️won’t do that again. Still have my baker 12 years and 2 kids later- I will definitely reupholster! Thanks everyone!
  • roxanna7
    5 years ago

LOL, anlerstang! I got a notice that there was a new comment here. Glad you are re-upholstering that Baker. Have had mine thru six cats (mostly all at once, long story) and several grandkids. Still a great and comfortable piece after c.30 years!

• HU-628527939
    6 months ago

Are there companies that buy traditional Baker sofas that need upholstering? The one I have was bought in the early 1980s. I am downsizing and don't have a place for it.