Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guardsman

Posted by buster100 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 17:08

I have read a few opinions that Guardsman furniture protection is not all it is cracked up to be. Why is this? Does anyone have a recommendation of furniture protection or is none really needed?

We have our furniture purchased narrowed down and plan to buy this weekend.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guardsman

First off: I service several hundred Guardsman claims a year. My success rate is above 98% in all disciplines. But I am simply a local technician that they hire to do the work. I cannot speak for them.

For those that I service, they generally are glad they got the coverage and are ahead. Just last week, I successfully removed a stain on a sectional that the consumer had hired a large company to come in and remove (before they realized they had a plan that covered it). The other company succeeded in just making the stain worse.

But it works like insurance - shared risk of sudden, accidental, and unexpected damage. Consumers often have an understanding that it "covers everything." They get caught up in the exclusions and believe they are cheated that they don't get a five year cleaning plan, they won't clean BBQ sauce from the 4th of July picnic for Thanksgiving, or cover simple wear and tear or intentional damage. If that was the case, it would have to be priced so that you couldn't afford it.

The other thing to remember is a guarantee is only as good as the people standing behind it. One of the other major players got in financial trouble a few years ago, quit paying their technicians (who eventually quit accepting new work) and reorganized their way, limping back into business. The same would be true of an in-house plan by a local furniture company -- how many of them have gone out of business in the last 5 years, and how many will in the next two? Guardsman has a large corporation, Valspar, behind them.

o

What you get is not just "furniture protection treatment," you get a plan that includes cleaning and repair when a covered peril occurs and replacement if it cannot be repaired. I suggest getting a brochure and review it before you make a decision.

But yes, a retailer can simply just buy the Fabri-coat in 5 gal cans and apply it as a service, chargeable or not. I don't think that is what OP was asking.

Also the retailer can charge whatever for the plan and from my view, this varies widely between retailers.

Whether or not any plan is needed is solely dependent upon your tolerance for risk. If you are buying a $399 sofa or a $5999 sofa can determine if you are willing to spend $100-200 or so to protect it.
it

Here is a link that might be useful: plans

o

0 Votes

Gaurdsman Prtection plan is a HUGE SCAM. NEVER BUY THIS PLAN. TELL EVERY ONE WHO ARE GOING TO BUY THIS PLAN.
All the shops who sell this plan must be part of the SCAM. I think BOB FURNITURE IS ALSO PART OF THIS SCAM.
They took 10 days after I sent photos showing damage on sofa and finally told that it got damaged due to poor quality of leather and hence they wouldn't cover. What a cheating BOBS and Guardsman together doing. BOBS told that they would cover any kind of damage. Another reason they told is I should inform with in a week of damage happened but I informed after few weeks. What a silly reason.

o

I purchased the Guardsman Plan thru Haverty's two years ago and had a damaged spring on my sofa. I researched the complaints and reviews regarding the plan before contacting Guardman from various websites and found a variety of opinions regarding them. Needless to say I was not expecting much from them when I went to their website. I downloaded the Request for Service document and filled it out the day the damage occurred and I mailed it in. After about ten days I called the 1-800 number and was told they had to log it in before they could send out a service technician. I was told to call back in a few days and I did. They advised me that a technician would be calling me in a few days to fix the spring. The technician called a few minutes later the same day and set up an appointment during my lunch hour to fix the couch. He met him at my home and was prompt and professional. He repaired the broken piece of wood framing that held the spring to the cross member of the couch in minutes. I could not be happier. I found that if you just have a little patience, fill out the forms in a timely manner and along with a little follow up you can have a pleasant experience to get the results you paid for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here