Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkikling

Feedback on Craftmaster vs. Rowe for U.S. made mid-price sofas

Nikkikling
12 years ago

I am in TX, and have been researching and visiting showrooms to see American made sofas to replace our current living room furniture. We have 2 small children who have enjoyed bouncing on the very cozy seat and back cushions, and while the sofa has held up remarkably well, we feel it's time for a change.

We're now considering sofas from various mfrs. A transitional to mid-century modern style, tight back, 2 seat cushions, non-microfiber fabric are our taste. Well built frame, durable cushions and U.S. made are a must. Among the brands sold locally, we've found a couple styles, one from Rowe and one from Craftmaster, that stood out.

Rowe Berkley

http://www.rowefurniture.com/product/A730.html?start=0

Craftmaster 792950

http://www.cmfurniture.com/ItemInformation.aspx?event=addtoroomplan&iid=I134%3b792950%3b4

Depending on fabric choice (not those shown), both range from $788-$1000+. As companies change ownership and often quality and reputation over time, I would appreciate info on RECENT purchase experiences (good or bad, last few years) with furniture from either of these brands. Many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftmaster

Comments (9)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

On either of these your getting a plywood frame with overlapping joints stapled together with minimum amount of glue and low density foam but advertised as a HR, a bit misleading for accuracy in exactly what your getting. But in this price range this is about the best you can expect. Craftmaster is owned by a Chinese company and Rowe was recently rescued from bankruptcy by Sun Capital. However its good your buying made in America but mostly the covers are cut & sewn from China.

• Michael
    12 years ago

For Made in USA, not just Manufactured in USA (there is a difference) check out Smith Brothers of Berne and a few lines of Flexsteel.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

As important as the quality of the construction is the warranty behind it, because the two are usually in a similar quality classification. Insist on obtaining a written copy of any warranty before buying furniture.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I was at a clearance sale, and I saw a sofa very simlar to the Rowe. I liked it, but the "clearance" price was $1800! They also had a Craftmaster for around $800, but I could see that it wasn't as nice and as well made as the Rowe.

What I wound up with of all things was a vintage Drexel sofa from an estate auction that looks exactly like yours.

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

Try looking at Sherrill, Hickory Chair, Key City, Taylor King. All lines made in the US.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I don't know anything about Craftmaster, but can give you a thumbs up on Rowe. I have a Rowe chair and ottoman that I purchased in about 1985 that looks like new still today. Until recently, it has always been in our family room. We had 3 children, and two dogs, and now have 7 grandchildren. So the chair got alot of use. The style is classic, and other than the color, it's like new. The fabric is still perfect, and cleans up extremely well. The seat cushion has no sagging at all. As I recall, I don't think the cost was out of line. As they say, you usually get what you pay for.

• Nikkikling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all!

• suser123
    12 years ago

We have a craftmaster 4550-68 and love it. Also have a couple chairs too. The couch with the two cushions to sit on vs three is what we like. Your link has different arms and back but the seat cushions are same. We have had it over 5 years now and it still looks like new. We have three boys ages 2-10 and have moved twice (going to be three moves shortly) since we got it.