Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alohakels

Indestructible Furniture?

alohakels
9 years ago

I'm trying to put together my family room, and I need furniture that my kids can't destroy lol I have a kind of weird idea, and I'm wondering what other people thought of it.

Would it be tacky to buy outdoor furniture to use indoors? I like this polywood furniture... but I really cant decide. It's described as being maintenance free and since it's wood they can't really mess it up too much.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the couch

This post was edited by alohakels on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 13:42

Comments (5)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I believe that Polywood is plastic composite not wood.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by beverly27 on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 14:34

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This might be a reasonable source for furniture that is durable.

Here is a link that might be useful: This End Up Furniture

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Yep, polywood is recycled plastic, not wood- it says as much in the description.

Considering the price for the plastic outdoor furniture, you might be better off with beverly's suggestion with the This End Up Furniture.
    However, if you really like the furniture in your OP, then you should go for it- it's your home after all :)

• Lars
    9 years ago

I do not think that it is tacky to use outdoor furniture indoors, as long as the furniture is not tacky outdoors. I have a metal "Hoop" chair from the 60s that I used to use indoors, but it was meant as an outdoor chair. This is a lot of nice teak outdoor furniture that would look good indoors, and it would not weather if kept indoors. It is not cheap, however.

If your family room is used mostly by children, then plastic furniture would be okay, but I do think it might look like a romper room. It is best to use plastic furniture that is meant to be plastic (such as a Verner Panton chair) and is not trying imitate a different material. The Memphis Group in Milan made a some durable furniture in different materials, including plastic laminate.