Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

70s desk missing a flat roll-top in the back

Soon I'll be rehabbing an old desk my uncle built, approximately circa 1975 (I think he said he assembled it from a kit). It's wood, trestle-style legs, painted brown, three drawers across the front and three bins at the back that were covered by a tambour (and hold files). The roll top is long gone, if I remember right I think it was made of plastic and didn't operate easily. The back is relatively flat, maybe 2-3" taller than the front...not like most roll-tops where they are tall and cover the front.

My plan is to put a fresh coat of blue paint, to match the small room where the desk will be shared by my two elementary age boys.

I wondered what could be done for the missing roll top. Ideas are to attach a piece of wood with piano hinges, or cover w/o the hinges, or leave them open (but then things might fall into the back bins). I learned online that you can buy replacement tambour, is that something worth attempting? Can I paint it blue to match the desk or will it chip easily from use? Can I make a homemade tambour from fabric somehow?

It would be nice to utilize the rear bins, but I think they need to be covered when not in use. Maybe the easiest option is to just cover some cardboard w/fabric, so it's pretty but lightweight, and lay that over the bins. Thanks for your thoughts!

I've included a link to an image of something that has a similar design, the front is flat and the back has the tambour. But the desk I'll be refurbishing is larger, not a lap desk, and a different style.

Here is a link that might be useful: back tambour