nanmeade
15 years ago

This is part of the email I just received from them:

"Statton Furniture is Closing Forever

This is the Last Chance to Buy!"

Comments (7)

• simplicityseekerch
    15 years ago

This is very sad. I had only recently discovered them, and had saved their website as a bookmark on my computer while I continued to evaluate furniture brands and styles and saved money to buy nice pieces. Their website explains that there are a few reasons why they've decided to close their business after many years, but the economy and competing with foreign-made furniture are two major reasons.

• sussexnjgardener
    15 years ago

I just saw the Statton announcement yesterday. My mother loved Statton, even tho she waited months for the pieces she wanted. I was looking for a traditional four-poster bed, and went to their website the other night. They have beautiful stuff, but I have no idea how much it costs. It is very sad that they are going out of business; it probably is because of competition from China.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

No need to guess why...
    According to their website:
    "There are many factors that come to bear on this difficult decision. Chief among them has been an increasing movement in the industry toward less expensive overseas manufacturing as well as an eroding base of retail outlets through which the product is distributed. The untimely death earlier this year of Philip J. Statton, former chairman and CEO, has also been a contributing factor as well as the current poor economic climate."

• johnb32
    15 years ago

yes this is very sad. If you have any intrest in a Bicentennial collection secretary desk, i have one that i would be willing to sell. they only did this collectors edition 1 time back in 1976 from what they told me at statton.

• john_wc
    15 years ago

Wow, this is sad. Statton is one of the best manufacturers in the business. I would guess more are to follow.

• bet-c
    14 years ago

I would like to buy a statton secretery for my home. I have some other pieces and that would complete my room

• flseadog
    14 years ago

This is incredibly sad. Thirty years ago I bought 2 of their mirrors as this was all I could afford. My dear SIL has a Statton china cabinet and a Statton dining room table and chairs that are more than 40 years old. All of these pieces are truly heirlooms of marvelous quality that look better today than when they were new. This makes me feel so old because a voice in my brain is saying the world is changing---not for the better---and it sounds like my grandmother talking to me about how supermarket chickens didn't taste as good as the ones she raised. I once dismissed this because I thought she just couldn't accept the reality that everything changes. Now I wish she was still around to talk with about her experiences with the changing world.