Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susans02_gw

Clayton Marcus quality?

susans02
17 years ago

I'm in the market for a sofa & loveseat. Noting too deep or huge. Clayton Marcus has a ton of different styles that don't seem to oversized. Any info on their quality? I can afford to get 2 nice pieces - should I look at another line?

Comments (20)

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Susan, Do a search on Clayton Marcus as there has been some discussion here about CM being bought by La-Z-Boy.

• HeyPearly
    17 years ago

I've had nothing but good to say about my Clayton Marcus camel back sofa. It's stood the test of time, it's now over 20 years old. I'm getting ready to reupholester it for the second time. It's still solid and worth the outrageous cost of quality fabric today. I'd buy C.M. again, without a moments hesitation.Good Luck!

• ellbaker
    16 years ago

I had a Clayton Marcus sofa that I kept for nearly 10 years (until I was sick of the plaid fabric). It is probably still going strong in someone else's house at the ripe old age of 18. Not sure of today's quality CM but 18 years ago, it was great! It was my first furniture purchase as a "grown up".

Lisa

• Kayte 0207
    6 years ago

My husband and I bought a Clayton Marcus sofa, loveseat and matching chair in 2004, and it is still in great shape. The only problem is that I am desperately in the mood for a fabric change, so I have been furniture shopping for the last couple of months. Quite frankly, I have not found anything in the furniture stores in our city, or in the surrounding areas, that even come close to being as "solid" as my Clayton Marcus furniture is at 14 years of age. That being said, we have decided to have our existing Clayton Marcus furniture reupholstered.

• Tammie Fleming
    4 years ago

We purchased a Clayton Marcus sofa in 1985 when we bought our house, we kept it for probably 15 years, the fabric was well worn out but the sofa frame and cushions were still in very good condition, We gave it to my parents who recovered it, They used it for probably 10 more years and then passed it on to my niece and she is still using it today... 2019... no joke. I have regretted letting it go ever since.... Clayton Marcus no longer exists and I had always wanted another.... Well today a Clayton Marcus sofa popped up on marketplace and I had to go look at it. well needless to say I now own another Clayton Marcus and I will probably own it when I leave this earth. I have decided to have it reupholstered as necessary and never let it go.... <3

• HU-175146937
    3 years ago

I have a Clayton Marcus Sofa I purchased In 2006 from a couple who were divorcing. It was in their sitting room which they hardly used. the purchase was a steal..700.00 for sofa and love seat it is in great condition today. We use it daily. The cushions held their shape no sagging or sinking. It has a tapestry pattern, that is the only thing I wish I could change. I will likely just have it recovered.

• Jordan Thompson
    3 years ago

We just recently gave our CM chair to a young couple. It was in great shape after 40 years of our marriage. We gave our CM matching hide-away bed sofa to our son over fifteen years ago.

We just bought a new sectional sofa - not sure it will last 40 years!

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

My mom’s super ugly dated (80s traditional stripey damask in pink green and gold )Clayton Marcus will not die. Sat on daily, still completely comfortable. The fabric isn’t even worn.

Wonder how today’s version is?

• HU-102788774
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Great Quality!!

We have the blue/cream/teal (green) plaid Couch, loveseat & chair. It still looks brand new. And we have 3 new cushions ready for the couch, but never changed them out. Lol We've had it in the front room for 15 yrs & not sure how long my friend had it before her grandmother. Lol

I'm ready for a new look soon & will be selling.

• Rob Tom
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Bought a Sofa and Chair back in the late 90's - it sat in a formal living room, hardly used (we think approx 12 times).

In less than 1 year, the springs were sagging and cushions appeared crooked. Contacted Haverty's Furniture - they wanted $198 to inspect....We were told that CM was a good brand.....and, we waited almost 12 weeks for the two pieces. Hardly worth the wait........

• HU-91040412
    3 years ago

I have a Clayton Marcus sofa and loveseat set that is going on 17 years old. It‘s still in great shape. Only reason I’m thinking of new is I want a style/color change now.

• HU-778462197
    3 years ago

I have a Clayton-Marcus camelback sleeper sofa that we purchased in 1993 & it’s in perfect condition. Even the original upholstery is in excellent condition—just dated colors. I purchased 2 different slip covers & alternate them rather than having it reupholstered which would cost an arm & a leg & since it’s so heavy & sturdy, it would be a pain to take to an upholsterer. Sofas aren’t made as sturdy any more. Love my Clayton-Marcus.

• Gail Seals
    3 years ago

I have a Claytom Marcus Camel Back Living Room Set, and it too is in impeccable condition after many years. I am going to consult an Upholsterer, and feel it will be worth the investiment. Nothing wrong with the fabric, it is just is dated and floral, and would like to go with a neutral solid color.

• Cheryl Fulton
    2 years ago

I recently, purchased a Clayton Marcus, sofa at an old and new shop. I could immediately recognize the quality before I even knew who made it. I paid $120 for it and it is in excellent condition.

• Patricia D
    2 years ago

Trying to get my 30 year old children to take these and have them reupholstered. Clayton Marcus. They want new furniture from a big box store. Selling them on Craig’s list. They were my parents. They feel brand new. What a shame.

• Anne Vandehey
    last year

I have two big comfy chairs that we bought 24 years ago. Beautiful, and nothing on the market compares to the quality…so strong and solid. I need to get rid of them, because reupholstering these days is so expensive. But I’ve procrastinated for two years now. I’m sitting in one now. I love them!

• Karen Luke
    last year

That almost looks like our style Clayton Marcus but different fabric.  Our fabric faded but it's still in good shape.

• Catherine Breeden
    7 months ago

My Clayton Marcus furniture was purchased in the early 80''s, the loveseat had a wierd creak, they came and fixed a spring in the love seat, a probably 350 lb man took the cushions off and walked and jumped on the loveseat, took a tool and repaired the spring. It has been perfectly fine ever since. I vacuum it, and I have lightly ahampooed it twice, I do not believe it will ever wear out! I will gift it to my brother when I pass!

• HU-89004546
    last month

We bought a Clayton Marcus couch and two side chairs the first year we were married. That was in 1972. We had all three pieces reupholstered in the late ’80’s with Bob Timberlake fabric. They have held up very well. We have the original cushions as the upholsterer said they did not need to be replaced. We know these will hold up until we are no longer here to enjoy them.