Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fosgate_gw

Need input buying new furniture.

fosgate
13 years ago

Buying furniture soon (possibly this weekend) I was formerly in auto sales and trained car sales before I grabbed some real ethical standards. Basically I don't fall for the lines designed to separate people from their rational thinking and emotional thinking to buy on emotion. Also students of Dave Ramsay and we are walking in cash in fist. With that said we've been looking at couch and love seat since June. This is what I inquired with one company for online pricing on a Lazy Boy set we liked.

"Looking at purchasing the Lancer 490 Sectional. minus the corner piece. Could you please price me the cost to order the Reclining Love seat with console, Reclining couch with the flip down center piece( also price without the flip down option). We would like these in a type of material that was almost like a super soft terry cloth or bath towel like texture in a dark brown. Also with stain guard on them. No extended cloth warranty since we have a cat. I am unavailable from 1-11pm M-F but you can leave a message or reply to my e-mail address. We are looking to pay cash by this weekend and if we bought from you we would probably rent a u-haul from Omaha and bring it back ourselves since we were quoted a little over $400 for delivery last time we looked at furniture there."

This was their response.

"XXXX,

Thank you for your interest in XXXXXX Furniture Mart. Unfortunately with La-Z-Boy they have strict pricing guidelines with us and we are unable to price their products though emails or by phone, you would need to come into the store to get pricing. At that time you can also pick out the exact fabric of your choice as well due to pricing is based on the grade of fabric you choose for the specific pieces. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Also if you were interested in having this shipped to XXXXX zip code 68845 we do deliver there every other Tuesday and the delivery fee is $75 up to 4 pieces and $7.50 for each additional piece. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us back. Thank you again for your interest in XXXXXXX Furniture Mart for all of your home furnishing needs."

Really? Strict pricing guidlines? So Lay-z-boy will let you slap $4200 as Sugg retail price on their sectional on your site but on their site the Sug retail price is only $2800. I recognize this as a way to get us over there so they can haggle in person (or stick us on a fence post)

This is what I found in our local town. I got a price for the Lay-Z-Boy Reclining sofa without the fold down table from their initial offer of $944 to $839 with the fabric upgrade (type C), and the love seat with console from $926 to $839. MSRP for the base without upgrades is about $2800 with the corner piece. I think that this would not be a bad deal if we could get them to throw in fabric protection and the flip down piece on the couch which is normally about $100 upgrade and be at this number with 7% sales tax. Anyone think this is reasonable? Go lower? or am I out of my mind to think they will go for it? Each of them have an MSRP from Lay-Z-Boy of $1099 before cloth upgrade, and addition of the flip down drink holder on the center of the couch. I'm going in on Saturday and flopping $100 bills in front of them saying look, this is what I'll do....

Comments (2)