Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esrade

Cheap furniture

esrade
12 years ago

After some lurking on this forum, I'm getting some idea on what to look for in quality sofas (8 way hand-tied, etc) but the price for this stuff is more than I'm willing to spend. SO, my question is... if you don't spring for the "good stuff", does it basically come down to what style you prefer and how cheaply you can get it? Is there any quality difference between bargain basement furniture that be found at stores like Costco and Ashley Furniture versus mid-range stores like Bassett or Raymour & Flanigan?

Comments (6)

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

Cheap furniture is cheap at every turn, wherever a nickle can be squeezed. Low end sofas are going to have "engineered wood" (particleboard) frames, stapled together, thinner materials, cardboard panels, less resilient foam, and poorer fit and finish.

I repair this stuff daily and sometimes just have to shake my head.

Given the expected life-span, cheap furniture is not inexpensive.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Esrade, the trick is to be able to visually identify signs of quality in what you are buying.

Don't go paying Cadillac prices for a Mazda.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If they can't tell you exactly how the furniture is made, go to another store.

• everf
    12 years ago

hi peeps. new to the forum world and just thought i would say hello

• mrstan1234
    12 years ago

New to this forum, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents, as a total bargain hunter. I like to redecorate. A LOT. With every change comes some new furniture. So I go the cheap route.

In my experience, places like VC Furniture, have the bottom line prices, but also bottom line quality. If you bought something that was never going to be sat in, maybe - but with regular (not abusive) use from two people the last set we had, needed new cushions within about 7 months - they were flattened, and the upholstery appeared loose.

Last sofa I bought from Ashley's was AWESOME. Great quality, beautiful, and super inexpensive, since I found it in their scratch and dent section - Not sure how it held up over the years though since I sold it about a year after.

I am learning what everyone has told me all along - you get what you pay for... :) Happy shopping.

• EliteFurniture
    12 years ago

Normally with inexpensive upholstery you have no choice in the cushioning, such as down filled, spring down blend, etc. Inexpensive upholstery will have the cushions made of a foam material which will flatten. You can not regulate (fluff) this material once it flattens. Frames may not hold up as well. Fabrics may wear quicker.