Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any opinion on Hickory vs Merchandise Mart in Chicago

Posted by maisoui1 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 23:33

We just moved to a small town where there are no high end furniture stores. The closest quasi decent furniture store is maybe an hour away. I am debating between going to Hickory (at least to look to see a variety of items) versus going to the Mechandise Mart in Chicago. Either way I would have to go overnight but Chicago is 2-3 hrs drive so I wouldn't have the airfare. With the mart, apparently you have to have a designer to go through. Supposedly they are 100-200/hr, from what I hear. With Hickory, there are many manufacturers but I really want quality and high design and don't want to be going through a sea of furniture that is just average design etc. I guess my goal really is to see a variety of products and hopefully I'll see things that catch my eye and then I can decide what I want to buy. I just don't want to waste my time or the time of the sales people. I really want to do my own looking. I usually know what I like when I see it. It's just I have trouble finding it.
Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any opinion on Hickory vs Merchandise Mart in Chicago

I think you should go to the Merchandise Mart. Communicate with the designer what you are looking for, & he/she can narrow it down for you very quickly if you communicate your needs & wants well. Allow him/her to guide you to what he/she thinks would be good choices, then tell him/her that you now want to explore on your own. Then you can go back to the designer with any questions.

I really believe that this is where you need to be & will be worth your investment of time & money.

~Jeana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here