Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandu_gw

Leather Sofa in NYC

gandu
10 years ago

Looking for a leather sofa to replace the one I currently have had for over a decade. We hate the current sofa, not because it is bad, it has held up just fine but is ugly and frumpy. We are looking for a modern-ish leather sofa with clean lines and looks subdued yet sophisticated and comfortable for lounging and sleeping. Not looking for anything antique or traditional or ultra modern. No metal legs, just wood or hidden legs. NYC is tough to shop for this stuff. We have checked out Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, West Elm, Restoration Hardware all of which we weren't impressed by and then places we liked were Stickley Audi, Safavieh, ABC Home, Design Within Reach. The sort of sofa we are looking for:

http://www.timothyoulton.com/products/viscount-william-3-seater

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?categoryId=cat1760256

http://www.bradington-young.com/american-leather-furniture-details.asp?cat=8W&pid=1350000&name=MONTEREY&desc=STATIONARY%20LARGE%20SOFA%208-WAY%20TIE&style=135-96

Design within Reach Reid 86" Sofa

I know all these are quite different, but any of them could work for us.
Has anyone heard of Timothy Oulton? How is their construction and durability?
I know Bradington Young has top notch quality.
Design Within Reach is out of reach for us.
I've heard only bad things about RH quality and service but like the Sorensen - anything similar in other good brands?
What I'm secretly wishing for is the look of the Timothy Oulton Viscount William or RH Sorensen with the comfort, durability and value of Bradington Young.

Comments (4)

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

You have picked some nice sofas. I think prior to selecting your sofa you need to do some homework on sofa construction. Ask about the type of frame used is it plywood or hardwood? What type of spring is used? What type of cushions are available? It can be tricky for example Bradington Young makes a fine product but they do use a a plywood frame. I was curious about Timothy Oulton and visited their site. I could not find one mention about how their furniture is constructed. Maybe it is there but it was well hidden. For one idea go to Hancock and Moore's site and review their video on the front page where they do discuss their construction techniques. This brand could also be another option for your to consider.

• gandu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that looking into the construction is necessary. However, the only clear winners here are Hancock and Moore and similar brands. The problem with those is that they are expensive, which would be ok if we could physically see some and feel them (not here in NYC to my knowledge and buying a brand without even trying one of their sofas is not ideal) and secondly they are too traditional and formal looking. Bradington Young construction looks good enough, we are not looking for bullet proof furniture and at some point it becomes overkill going for the best possible construction without regard to style and comfort. I have no idea about Timothy Oulton's construction - hence my question here about them.

• mojomom
    10 years ago

American Leather makes nice sofas. We've had a sofa and love seat custom made by them that have held up great for five years with 4 dogs --not a mark. Super comfortable and well built. Huge choice of leather with great advice on what wears well under different situations. Room and board, DWR, and Crate and Barrel are their national dealers, but they have a number of other dealers in NYC. Just check for dealers on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Learner

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Check out Carlyle Sofa in NYC. Frames are hardwood; springs are steel. You can pretty much design it yourself, ie: pick what kind of back you want, cushions, size, legs...I would, though, make sure to ask them how it is put together.

I LOVE the Alabama and especially the Noah. You can get the style of a sofa bed w/o the bed mechanism if you want.

However, I've emailed them twice now and have gotten no response. Web site doesn't offer a phone # to call, but the Contact page lists all key employees with their email addresses.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 8:29