Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pillow top mattress vs Firm mattress with Latex Topper

Posted by drago40 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 22:11

First off my budget is around 1k, so I just wanted to run this idea past you guys and see what you think.

Instead of buying a queen pillow top mattress that is prone to depressions... I was considering buying a new firm mattress and then getting a 3" Latex topper. I figure this way I'll still have the comfort of a pillow top mattress but the support and longevity of latex.

Is this a good idea, or am I missing out on some added value of buying a pillow top mattress? Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pillow top mattress vs Firm mattress with Latex Topper

I had a removable topper before we purchased our present pillow-top mattress, and although it was much more comfortable than the mattress alone, the thing used to shift around and drive me crazy. But...ymmv. :)

o

I just purchased a plush mattress. Doesn't have the pillow top but is softer than the firm. Didn't want the pillow top because of them flattening out. I figured that if I needed it softer I would add a topper.

o

I purchased a Stearns and Foster firm mattress with a layer of memory foam on the top (not a pillow top, though). It gives me a lot of support for my back and just enough memory foam so I don't sink in it.

o

The advantage of going with the topper is that you can change it later. Want a softer feel? Get a softer topper instead of replacing your entire mattress. Want firmer? Ditto.

You also get more "deep support" going firm + topper vs going plush. That's not necessarily better, but some prefer that sort of feel.

Also you can go with a cheaper mattress, since the feel of it will be based on the topper more so than the mattress itself.

o

Never posted on this forum, usually I'm over in Kitchens. But I just had to give you my 2 cents. We had a memory foam mattress, it ended up being returned after about 20 months. The depressions were horrible. Also, the foam didn't breathe, and we were so hot at night. We ended up going to the Sealy Spring Free latex mattress. It is the best thing we could have done. It was more money, but it really is fantastic. We aren't hot anymore, it supports you in the places where you need it. I highly recommend it.

The most important piece of advice I read while mattress shopping was to remember that the mattress is NOT a luxury item. It is utilitarian, it is meant to serve a purpose. You can make it look luxurious by adding your bedding to it, but it's purpose is to help you get a good night's sleep and wake up with no back pain! This is why we didn't go for a pillow top or anything that was so soft and "luxurious".

I found a lot of good information on this website. Even though the guy who writes it sells mattresses, he is so honest in his answers. And it seems as much as he would love to sell a mattress to you, he wants consumers to be informed and really doesn't seem to mind if you are buying elsewhere. So check it out.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattress blog

o

Thanks for everyones input. I thought I'd follow up and let you guys know what I decided to get after all my research. I bought a offset coil regency mattress set from the Original Mattress Factory for $620. Then I bought a 3 inch 32ILD talalay latex topper from The Foam Factory for $230. And then I bought a high loft mattress pad from overstock.com for $40.

I think I came out really good on this one...both the latex topper and mattress have a 10yr non prorated warranty.

o

I think you made the right decision. I did the same thing in January as I bought a firm Sterns and Foster mattress and then got a 2" memory foam topper. So far I love it. Should be much easier to replace the memory foam topper than having to replace the mattress.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here