Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurielilac

Help on who to contact at Sherrill

laurielilac
17 years ago

While waiting for our house to close in Maine, I visited Sherrill dealers in RI to identify a sofa for our future TV room. I have a Sherrill chair and had a wonderful sofa from Sherrill about 15 years ago. Since the two dealers in RI would not allow a sofa to be delivered to us in a different state, and not wanting to haul a new sofa in a pickup truck some 300 miles, I ordered the sofa through an internet dealer. This sofa, which was extremely comfortable when I "visited" it some 10-12 times, is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture I have ever sat (or laid) on. The sample was upholstered in light weight cotton. I ordered it in chenille and with the downwrap seat cushion. Could a fabric account for such a huge difference? About six weeks ago I wrote to Sherrill asking for help/advice and have not had a reply. Does anyone know of a specific person at Sherrill that I could contact? I am beside myself with anxiety over this. Thank you for your help. Laurie

Comments (7)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 years ago

I don't think you will get a response from Sherrill as their loyalty is to the retailer/discounter who ordered the sofa, and they are not set up to deal directly with the public. Sherrill assumes that they supplied what was ordered, and they probably did.

Your first call should have been to the company where you ordered the sofa. There should be some company policy to deal with after purchase situations printed on your order or receipt.

Sherrill offers many types of cushions and you need to verify, first, that you ordered the same type of cushions that you sat on, and then that the retailer ordered what you requested.

You didn't describe what the actual problem is with the cushions. Are they too hard, too soft, what exactly? After ordering sofas for clients for many years, I will tell you that down cushions will often come overstuffed like marshmallows and then 'settle' after a few months of use and smash down slightly. That is a good thing so that you don't end up with cushions that 'puddle' after a bit of use. Cushions will sit differently if you compare fabric to leather, but not cotton to chenille.

• david_gf
    17 years ago

Beverly is correct when she said you probably will not hear from Sherrill. But you can call them. I don't know their number, but call 828-555-1212 for Hickory, NC. info. Get the main number and ask the person who answers their phone for the local (the state where the site is located, not your state) Sherrill sales rep phone number. They should give it to you. Don't bother trying to get the factory to help, you are not their customer. The dealer is. Call the rep and explain your dilemna. Provided you purchased it from an authorized Sherrill dealer, (always a question mark via the internet) he should be able to help.

• mactruck
    17 years ago

Even if you do Contact the Mfg's rep. You may not get alot of help. You cut him out of the loop as soon as you went to the Internet company. (unless it's based locally) He didn't get paid and may not be able to service it correctly. He utilizes the store where you purchased it to solve problems.

Because he may work on commission and gets paid based on what his local dealer base sells. Not what an internet company sells to an area.

I know you explained why you used an internet company for your purchase. But this is why I feel you should buy from a local dealer. They can stand by their service where the internet companies will not. (usually)

Also "Young's Furniture" out of Portland Maine is a dealer of Sherrill's. You may be able to purchase cushions from them if need be.

• laurielilac
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I will at least give it a shot since I was a confirmed believer before this happened. What I don't understand is how a piece of furniture could be so terribly wrong for the human body. In the future I will not only purchase locally, but I want it off the floor as well. That is the only way you know what you are getting. Laurie

• jocimiceli
    6 years ago

Laurie, I can assure you Sherrill will not do anything. By local, by less expensive and replace as often as you like. No point in investing in what you think is the best quality sofa mfg in the US. My fabric started peeling and balling up like a cheap sweater after just 4 months of mild use from my husband and I just sitting on it watching tv. I've been in a battle with both the company i bought it from, Kathy Adams Furniture in Plano TX, and Sherrill since Jan 1 2017. I sent in a cushion casing in January and was first told that if Sherrill found even 1 single pet hair they would automatically deny any claim. Seriously? Pet hair gets on our cloths, socks, floats in the air and lands wherever it wants to. I'm confident I have ingested thousands of pet hairs over the years of owning dogs. Even if I didn't have dogs, friends do and their animal's hair travels with them too! I can assure you that had my sales agent from Kathy Adams told me Sherrill had such a wacky stipulation to their warranty I would never ever have bought an $8000 sofa! So the customer service agent and I went over the casing with magnifying glass to ensure that wouldn't happen. long story short the claim was initially approved and i was to get my sofa fully recovered. Twice the Sherrill rep told KA customer service this. One week later my cushion casing arrived back at KA with a denied paper claiming they found a pet hair on the inside. Yes there was 1 single pet hair on the inside and it looked like a long cat hair which I do not own cats. My entire family of 5 is allergic to cats. I have to black lab mixes and they are not allowed on the furniture. AND the cushion casing already made it through the initial pet hair check (which is crazy btw and I would have never bought the sofa had i known pet hair voided mfg warranty!) and went on to the "lab" for "testing" and was approved after that as well according the the Sherrill rep and the Kathy Adams customer service rep who relied the information back to me. Keep in mind this entire process took more than 12 weeks and I was without a cushion cover that long! Kathy Adams refuses to do anything as a company and I keep getting pushed off to the customer service person in the store who claims she is still trying to get Sherrill to honor the initial approved claim. I'm now getting my attorney involved. This is an $8000 sofa that the fabric looks like a Rooms to Go sofa that children have been jumping on for years. Here is the inside back of the sofa that doesn't get touched and here is a cushion cover that gets sat on. The color has darkened and that might be from clothing, but frankly I'm afraid to have it cleaned for fear it will triple the fuzzy peeling of the fabric!

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    6 years ago

What I am seeing is a natural occurrence with some types of fabric & will eventually stop. Most upholstery manufacturers exempt fabric from warranty as the fabric mills do not offer warranty on fabrics. Sherrill is one of the few that will at least look at look at fabric issues & I have know them to re-cover due to a fabric issue.

• HU-638636989
    3 years ago

My Wife and I bought a Sherrill wing chair Approximately 20 years ago and it is so well made, it is still in great shape. The number, I believe, is 1516-I and the fabric is a large floral

print in a red background with beige and green florals. Unfortunately, the seat cushion has faded, but the rest of the chair is still in good shape. I would like to know where I can purchase this fabric so that I can have the cushion re covered. I would very much appreciate your help in this matter. Leslie Gold