Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buy H&M Chesterfield sofa now or an in-between sofa?

Posted by huango (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 20:04

Hello,
1. Should I buy a key "investment", like this Hancock & Moore Chesterfield sofa, or a "budget" sofa for now until the kids are grown?
2. If wait, then WHAT leather sofa/loveseat (under 87" long) should I get for the interim?

I hope you can help me with my dilemma.
My family room needs a sofa/loveseat.
I have 2 children: rambunctious 4yrs old boy and dainty 2.5yrs old girl.

I like to buy key pieces of investments that I hope lasts for a long time. Thus my love for this Chesterfield. However, I am concerned that my children and their young friends will destroy this sofa, even if I slipcover it.

I already have a livingroom set. The livingroom sofa, which we painstakingly matched to the 2 chairs and ottoman, is too long for the familyroom.

Im thinking I should purchase an interim sofa for the familyroom, and then get the Chesterfield when the kids leave for college. I dont want to have a stroke every time the kids spill something or accidentally punctures the leather or something

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buy H&M Chesterfield sofa now or an in-between sofa?

The Chesterfields tyle does nots eem kid friendly nor teen age friendly for lounging to me...and by the time the kids leave for college you may be thinking of a different sryle.
I would go for an interim sofa....but for sloppy kids...leather is good.
Linda C

o

Well, I feel that waiting 16 years for something you want (and I assume can afford....) now is a bit silly.

I would get what I like and enjoy it.

o

Leather is incredibly durable. They also usually try and sell you an insurance policy on the sofa in the event that the kids harm it...I paid alot for a leather sofa when my kids were little, paid an extra $400 for the insurance...never needed it...there was nothing the kids could do that would hurt the sofa...My kids are all in college now...The sofa looks great, got better with age, while I look much older! Get what you want...life is short

o

Get the H&M you won't regret it. you might also want to visit the My furnture forum for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture forum

o

I thank you all for your inputs.

I think I am the only person in real-life (not online) who understands the beauty of the H&M Chesterfield.
My DH and friends supported lindac's observation that the Chesterfield does not look like a lounging type of sofa. Yes, I agree, but I love it!!!

So I've been out-voted. We are getting some generic leather sofa. Let's see how long this thing lasts...

Someday...someday, my love (Chesterfield)...

Again, thank you.
Amanda

o

I agree about Duane at Myfurnitureforum.com in fact look what he is just getting delivered to his store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chesterfield Sofa

o

I think you should buy the Metropolitan sectional sofa with Crystals. Its a chesterfield sofa, but it requires less maintenance because its fabric. Also, it looks elegant cuz of the crystals. http://www.lafurniturestore.com/metropolitan-micro-fiber-sectional-sofa-and-ottoman-1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Metropolitan 3 Piece Fabric Sectional Sofa & Ottoman with Crystals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here