Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Protecting our Pecan table? (Briwax? coasters that actually work?

tammyw
9 years ago

We had a dining table custom made for us (it is our main eating table). The wood is pecan.

http://www.custommade.com/pecan-trestle-dining-table/by/studio144/

It is gorgeous. But it has an "unfinished" look. He said it has a bunch of coats of poly on it, but it still looks unfinished, and I'm terrified of damaging it.

He said he doesn't want to put more coats of poly on it, otherwise it could tend to yellow (and I hate yellow wood).

He recommended using placemats and coasters. Well I've been searching for good coasters and most are horrible. I bought some "stone" ones from Crate and Barrel, but if you have too much condensation on your glass, it will end up leaking right through or puddling over. No good. I've heard that cork coasters are great for a while, but eventually warp.

And then there are placemats. The fabric ones would leak through.

I have a table pad on it right now, but I don't always want to have it completely covered up.

So I'm wondering about applying a coat or two of Briwax. In fact, I bought a jar, but then I read that the finish is reversed with mineral spirits. It also says the following on the jar:

-- Once Briwax has been applied, do not use any other household cleaner or spray polish on the finish. For routine dusting, use a clean, dry cloth.

It's a kitchen table, and we have children (8 and 11), so things DO get spilled, sticky, etc. We need to be able to clean up sticky messes or spills. Wiping with a clean dry cloth isn't always going to cut it, kwim?

So now I'm starting to wonder if there is any solution for us.

Please...any suggestions? I just want to keep our table beautiful.

ETA: On another thread in houzz.com, I read about some people using Rubio Monocoat. I've never heard of this.

This post was edited by tammyw on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 17:45

Comments (6)