Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joymalloy

Should I buy a leather sofa from JCpenney online???

joymalloy
15 years ago

I need advice...I need an inexpensive great looking leather sofa for a condo that I will be selling this fall...furnished...The place HAS to look great, so I got rid of the 80's flesh colored sectional that was in it when I bought the condo. Now I need to replace it for not much $$. I found this leather sofa on sale on JCPenney online furniture...The Lankston, all leather, 8 way hand tied, hardwood frame orig $2200, on sale $899 plus $189 delivery fee...The condo is a vacation place that rarely gets used, so the sofa will not see much use...Should I buy this sofa??? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• joymalloy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JC penney, is really low? I thought that might be the case, but I was hoping since it was 8 way hand tied, and a hardwood frame, that I might be able to get away with it...There's a good chance the condo won't sell...and I WILL be stuck with it and Using it...I'd hate to waste $1200...I need to look around more I guess...thanks for your input...

• bnicebkind
    15 years ago

Both my mother and SIL both purchased their sofa's from JC Penney's, and both have been used on a daily basis and still look very good. My mom bought hers in 1979-1980 and my SIL bought hers when they bought their house at least 18-20 years ago. Neither have even needed to reupholster the sofa's!!!

I know, and as we struggle over quality, I keep thinking that they just went to Penney's and bought sofa's off the floor on sale, and the JC Penney sofa's are still going strong!!! Perhaps sofa's are no longer made to last like these.

My only issue would be that I have to sit in a sofa I am buying, to see if it is comfortable enough, but since you do not live there, and are selling the place, perhaps you need to determine if the color, and size are correct for the room, and the overall feel the furniture will give your condo you are trying to sell in a tough market.

If the color, size, and feel are good, and would make your unit appealing, then IMO, I would say go for it!

• joymalloy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you for your input...You are right, I will never know if it is "right" comfort, size color..until they drag the dang thing up five flights of stairs...no elevator...and then, aren't I STUCk with it??? I guess I should try to be patient...but time is running out...there is a TIN"Y window of opportunity..the leaves change on the Blue ridge prkway, and people think about owning a place for christmas ski season...It may not sell, but I have to give it my best shot...I am torn whether to take the chance on the penneys sofa...sure looks good on the computer screen!!! and then there's always custom down filled cushions to dress it up...oh well thanks...

• mccall
    15 years ago

The thing is a sofa built 18 years ago is way different than what JCP sells today. all of it it made in China and while it is mostly OK it is not good furniture by any means.

• simplyjeffff
    13 years ago

It doesn't matter that you found the sofa at JC Penneys or whether you think the store may not always carry good quality merchandise. $899 for an all leather sofa with 8 way hand-tied coils and solid wood frame is a phenomenal buy. I would have grabbed it in an instant.

• detmed
    13 years ago

Please check out this website: cascobayfurniture.com. I am pasting what I posted from another forum:

Just purchased the Madison leather queen sleeper sofa from Casco Bay Furniture (cascobayfurniture.com). It's the equivalent of RH's Maxwell sleeper. I got it for $2600 delivered with a five year warranty. Just priced it out on the Restoration Hardware website and it is $5600 delivered (with 6% sales tax in MI)!

I'm not sure if I even need to say anything else. The salesman at Casco Bay, Robert Allen, was conscientious beyond expectation and really in my opinion epitomizes quality customer service. Although I don't think they can advertise that it is the same sofa, apparently they approached RH's former manufacturer once RH outsourced it overseas and are now selling it directly.

I'll add this: I am a physician, I pay way too much attention to detail, so believe me when I say this sofa is the exact same thing at less than half the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casco Bay