Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody know about Four Seasons slipcovered Furniture?

Posted by flaamy (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 14:25

I am looking at a slipcovered sofa and swivel rocker by Four Seasons Furniture for our well used family room. They offer a variety of cotton fabrics, velvets and chenilles.

I would appreciate any information on the company - their quality, reputation and durability.

Also, do you recommend slipcovers and those fabrics for an active family room? I love the feel of cotton, but am somewhat concerned about 'natural' fabrics. Do slip covers stay in place, or do you have to constantly rearrange them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Seasons Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody know about Four Seasons slipcovered Furniture?

I would not recommend cotton for fabric on upholstered furniture. It just doesn't wear well. Now, they have cotton/polyester and other blends of fabrics that are much sturdier.

I have a couch upholstered in cotton and it is faded and the one arm split open and you can see the stuffing and it's only 7 years old! And it wasn't inexpensive. I'm the only one who uses the couch on a regular basis, so it's not as though it got a lot of use.

Now we are buying new furniture and I chose the fabric today and it is definitely a tougher wearing fabric, a nylon/polester combination. Good luck.

o

I have a slipcovered couch from Rowe in cotton fabric (it has faded over the years, but I don't mind the faded look. Other than that I think it's held up well and is nice & soft and comfy.)

I'm getting ready to replace it though (just don't care for the lines of the couch anymore - the arms are too high)Do you mind sharing how much the Four Season slipcover couch is? None of my local retailers carry slipcovered couches anymore and I'm getting frustrated!

Thanks so much :)

o

The sofa is just at $2K depending on fabric, cushion option etc. The swivel glider was about $1200. The dealer is a small independent furniture and accessories store who says they have carried this line for 4 years. I do not know if this is typical of their distribution nationally.

They do have a spot on their web site to find a dealer. Love to know what you decide!

o

Someone I know bought the chair you are talking about. It is really comfortable, and fun. I have no idea about the quality of four Seasons though. I was hoping someone that does know would comment.

o

I just bought a Four Seasons slipcovered sofa and love it! The store I bought it from only sells better quality, and we are friends with the owner. He highly recommended the manufacturer.

o

That was really nice experience to get some useful information here.

o

I was impressed with what I saw...Hubbingtons Furniture just opened a new store in Hampton, NH and they have a two seat slipcover sofa from Four Seasons on sale for, I think it was, $699. That's in a whitish cotton-like material. For that price, you could afford to buy another slipcover and still come out ahead! They said it was cash and carry only...but they have to order it for you. Sounded like a good deal. Just trying to figure out where to put it!

o

I have a pair of Four Seasons sofas. They are slipped in a white cotton/poly blend that has held up very well since we bought them one year ago. The fabric is from the Outdura line, which is similar to Sunbrella. With three children in my house, I won't ever consider having another sofa that isn't slipcovered. They wash up very well and if you put them back on while slightly damp, the shape looks good, although they might need a steamer touch-up. Now, the slips don't have that "tight", clean look that upholstery has, but it's worth it to me to be able to wash them. My only regret is choosing the style sofa that has four loose cushions on the back, because they never stay put. Looks messy sometimes.
I think I paid $1800 for each.

o

I am not impressed with the sofa, loveseat and chair I purchased. I have no children, however the cushions have not held up at all. There are significant gaps between the cushions (1"-1.5"). I insisted the cushions be replaced approximately 6 mo. After I rec'd the furniture. The replacement cushions are no better. I wish I had saved my money.

o

Mlcapaci sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with your set. In my opinion Four Seasons makes a great product. Keep in mind slip covered furniture is not tailored as neatly as a fully upholstered sofa.

o

I just discovered this post and am seriously thinking about the Four season slipcover couch and chair and 1/2. It has been awhile for those that have so just wondering what your thoughts are now on this furniture. Any feedback tips suggestions etc would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

o

I am seriously thinking about buying the four season slipcover furniture. Now that some time has past I was just wondering how you are still liking it? Has the cushions and frame stood up? Has the slipcovers continued to wear and wash well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

o

Lena, I have a Four Season's chaise in my downstairs tv room. It is the most economical piece of upholstered furniture I own and given the price and the construction, I was not expecting it to be heirloom quality. I've had it for about four years and I have two slipcovers. I have the down cushion upgrade. I find the cushions to be very very comfortable with the sink in down feel, though the back one is a little over-stuffed for lounging. I am very picky about cushions and find these to be better than you'd expect at the price-point. I don't think the frame is very substantial and it doesn't feel as supportive as other upholstered pieces in my house. But the cushions are luxe.

The slipcovers attach in multiple pieces with velcro. (One piece for each arm, one for the base and so on.) This makes it easier to clean if you have a spill just in one place. I do not remove the slipcover very often though. I think for a slipcovered piece, this one looks pretty tailored, especially if you iron or steam it. It does not get loose. But it is still a pretty casual look.

It gets heavy use and is still in good shape. My husband naps on it a lot and I sit on it most evenings. The spring system is some kind of drop in deal and I did notice a squeak in the front corner this winter which bothers me but overall I am happy with the purchase.

o

Thank you for the reply belle va. That was very helpful. I am looking at getting the sofa and chair and a half. In the store its slipcovered in grade 1 and color is topsider natural. Which looks more cream than white in the store anyway. I am not sure if I should go up a grade in fabric and also a more true white. What did you get? Thank you again for taking the time to reply and info.

o

Both of my slipcovers are 100% cotton. I don't remember the names. Both are stripes. They are prone to wrinkles so I iron them on occasion. Topsider is a cotton twill I believe- just about everybody has it in their fabric line. I would not do well with a white slipcover. I think it is great for magazine photo shoots but I cannot imagine what it would be like in daily life. So much dust and grime in my house with three dogs! But many people swear by white slipcovers (especially white denim) for durability and washability. With white white you could bleach. I'm not sure if you can bleach the 'natural' color. You should ask the dealer if that is a consideration.

Fabric grades do not correlate to durability- i.e. a higher grade does not necessarily mean a more durable fabric. A cotton would be lower grade/ cost but more durable than silk which would be a higher grade/ cost. You should get the fabric you like best, especially since you can easily order a replacement. (Though their replacement slipcovers are really expensive in my opinion.)

Good luck!

o

Thank you belle_va on educating me on the fabric grades as i had it all wrong! I hope you don't mind a few more questions (just five lol ) Does the cushion slipcovers have a metal or plastic zippers? You said the slipcovers are easily ordered, but where do you order them from? What if Four Seasons go out of business, are we then stuck without any options for replacement covers? Are there replacement slipcovers more expensive than PB? I know it depends on several options , Are you talking like approx $800? Just trying to get a rough idea. Thank you again for all your help and taking time to reply.

o

Lena. I checked my chaise. The zippers are metal. Regular size. The replacement slipcover was around $700. Given how their slipcovers are made (in multiple pieces) I think it would be quite easy for a local upholstery shop to make a replacement if for some reason you can no longer get one from Four Seasons.

This post was edited by belle_va on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 21:42

o

Thank you once again belle_va, I am trying to make a decision between the Four Seasons, PB and the Ikea Ectorp which I have not seen that one yet. I live several hours from all of these so when I think of a question or want to check something on it I can"t just drop by and see the furniture. So I do appreciate very much all your replies and the information! I sometimes wish I wasnt such a comparison shopper!

o

I ordered mine! However, It wont be delivered till the end of May, I am so excited.

o

FourSeasons is one of the most successful cash rich companies in the industry. They are not going anywhere and certainly not out of business.
In my opinion they make the best product you can buy for the money and they are superior to other upholstered products costing twice as much.

They do have a drop in coil unit. It is not a true 8 way hand tied unit but it is super sturdy with the springs set into a rectangle heavy gauge metal much like you would find on a metal bed frame. Their selection of fabrics in one on the best in the industry.

Four Seasons is always busy even when things are slow. You can't go wrong with this company.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here