Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnski_gw

Quality sofa from Restoration Hardware?

lynnski
18 years ago

I've always thought that the prices at Restoration Hardware are very high. And they are! But I've been looking for a well-made sofa (* Kiln-dried hardwood framing, * Eight-way, hand-tied springs, * Down and foam cushions) with simple lines at the $3K mark, and it hasn't been that easy.

Those of you who know furniture, would you purchase an upholstered sofa from this company? They have a sofa that meets all my criteria. Except that I don't want to be a sucker and pay too much for the product. Any advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: would you buy this sofa?

Comments (38)

• cindymouse
    18 years ago

Lynnski,
    I have numerous pieces from RH, and I can say they have fantastic quality! Most of my pieces were bought as floor samples, sometimes I saved 30% plus. I have an upholstered sofa with 3 slipcovers (since discontinued), the difference in quality is apparent to me-also slipcovers were VERY well-made.
    One way I learned to tell quality is to push down on the arm of an upholstered piece. If your hand easily sinks down to the frame underneath then it's probably not the best. I'd rather save/pay more for great quality than pay less and 2 years later your sofa is broken down., and $1-$2K down the drain. Especially if it is well-used, i.e. family room, etc.
    No, they are NOT cheap at RH. But watch for sales or floor samples and it's a little easier on the checkbook.
    Do some shopping around, the quality is noticeable.

Good Luck!

• tre3
    18 years ago

I also have a sofa from RH that I bought from a warehouse sale. My impression was that Mitchell Gold used to make their sofas. I don't know if that is still true.
    Because I bought mine at a steep discount/warehouse sale it came in the muslin cover..no slipcover. I ended up reupholstering so I got to see the guts of the sofa. I'd say they are good to very good but not exceptional. My sofa does not have 8 way hand tied springs. The frame is mostly engineered wood. The corners were blocked but screwed not doweled. I love the way my sofa came out. I do have lots of time invested in it but not lots of money.
    Will this be a piece that you keep for a long time or are you apt to toss it and start over in 5,8,10 years?

• lynnski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm looking for a long-term sofa. I'm disappointed that my Roche-Bobois sofa has only lasted ~20 years. I'd hoped to buy a sofa now that will go at least another 20.

I wonder if it may not be possible to get a 20-year sofa for 3K? That seems crazy.

This particular Restoration sofa says it is kiln-dried hardwood frame and 8-way hand-tied etc. I wonder if I should be skeptical. Choosing a sofa is ridiculously hard!

• hovegator
    17 years ago

Any updates on this subject? I'm also considering buying a sofa from RH.

• Filbert
    17 years ago

Check out the sofas available from Costco's website. Most are constructed with kiln dried hardwood with mortise and tenon joints. Prices range from $660 to $1200, including shipping & handling. Only 13 fabric models but they're great bargains for the quality. I purchased a 4 piece leather living room set for $3500 five years ago and have been very pleased. Can't believe some people pay that much for one piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Fabric Sofas

• cuchie
    16 years ago

Forget Restoration Hardware - i have purchased things from them and then found same item elsewhere for 1/2 the price.
    Consider a Flexsteel Sofa. Excellent construction and great reviews form customers. Most you will pay is $1500- most in the $1000 range. I have owned mine for over 10 years and it still looks as good as the day i purchased it.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

There are PLENTY of sofas that will last 20 years plus. You're not going to find them at Pottery Barn, Costco and Restoration Hardware.

Read the SMART MONEY article from October 2006 "Pottery Barn Unstuffed".

"Think outside the box" and learn what makes a good sofa, a good sofa.

• steve37205
    15 years ago

Has anyone bought the Baby Grand Sofa from RH? They told me that Lee was the manufacturer (and obtaining that info. was like gaining access to a national secret). I've never heard of Lee, but am curious about the quality as well as how the sofa sits--with down and standard.

• susiethecook
    15 years ago

Consider finding a local furniture maker that designers use. You may find the quality you are seeking for the price of RH. We did this (in Dallas) and have a wonderfully comfortable sofa and two club chairs.

We also have a sofa from Quatrine that we really like.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    15 years ago

I bought a sofa from a place called nantuckit furniture. The couch we bought is 8 way hand tied, but this one isn't. Their Helen sofa is a dead ringer for the RH Maxwell. It even has 250 fabric options. They ship anywhere in the US for $139 or less.
    I ordered it sight unseen and am really impressed. It's so incredibly heavy, which can mean MDF construction, but nope just a really solid wood frame.
    Something about clubfurniture just turned me off. I didn't like the fabric options and wasn't impressed with the leather samples I received. For leather pieces, if you wait for a RH sale, the price difference isn't worth the risk IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helen sofa

• marjimae_aol_com
    15 years ago

Steve, I hope you didn't buy the Restoration Hardware Grand sofa! I had my eye on the Grand for over a year and finally bought the slipcovered Grand with down-wrapped cushions when it went on sale last year. I am very disappointed. The back cushions don't seem to have a core shape and end up looking like beanbags. I have to punch and pat them back into shape every other day or they collapse into a blob. This sofa is used every day and the seat cushions are now packed down and sagging in the front. I tried turning them over and reversing them so the zipper was in the front, hoping that they would pack down more evenly. They didn't. The sofa is supposed to have a casual look, but it just looks like a shapeless mess and is uncomfortable.

• gabbtys_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I will never buy another Restoration Hardware sofa. It has a big price tag and the quality is just not there.
    Cushions sag and the skirt has a crease that will not come out plus it droops on the floor. Restoration Hardware said they felt it was not a defect since I owned the sofa for 2 years.

• paige16
    12 years ago

I have a sofa from Room and Board and while it has great style my husband finds it uncomfortable. My living room sofa is from a store no longer in existence but the brand is Thayer and Coggin. I don't know where to find them now but it is a great sofa. What area are you in?

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

This year most retailers will see the costs of quality leather furniture increase substantially, thanks partly to increased demand for shoes and automobiles sales and also that processing leather is a dirty business and China, Thailand and India governments is feeling pressure to control this before it becomes an even more environmental disaster in their countries.

You will start to see more processed leather that is derived from scraps and vinyl that imitates leather in the medium to low price point.

• rebeccavburen_gmail_com
    12 years ago

In response to cuchie,
    I too have a flexsteel. After long research, both physical testing, and product information. I believe it is considered mid-high range as far as quality goes without the showroom prices. The framework, the cushions, just the simplicity along with the logical aspects ( support beams in the mid of our sectional. I especially LOVE the fact that the back support is great I think due to the fact that it is actually connected to the couch itself unlike a lot of mass produced sofas with flimsy halfed filled back cushions, almost deflated, sitting in the showroom. Price is one factor. It isn't the only factor when deciding on a purchase. Sometimes fabric over leather, sales on certain styles that are discontinued are great places to start if a liitle money is to be saved. But all in all don't expect a $200 sofa to "last" like a sofa that is $2000. And on top of that I went back to the store for more shopping, at which point my sofa was marked with a sale tag for $200 less (discontinued). Great sofa, custom fabric, great price, kept my eyes open and got $200 back.
    So when I stepped into the showroom of rh in santa monica, ca I still shopped just because its what I do. I do notice the same things as one person noted, sagging, creases. Yes I guess its character, but, it seemed to already show in the showroom, so I didn't like it. Also I think its important to note that if the shape of the sofa, and ease of maintnence is important, pillowed backs on sofas are extremly difficult to maintain shape and firmness, and if you have kids, castles will be built with them. (It was our first sofa set, don't regret it, it was used for many years and hassince been handed down. I would say that it is crucial that the seat cushions especially on fabric, depending on the construction, if they lift away from the sofa (well they should), for it to be double sided, both for cleaning, and rotating to maintain an even usage of cushions, after those requirements are made, if warranty is important, available, reasonable, make sure its worth paying for.
    As for a rh sofa, I think I would only consider the kensington, maybe, on sale, for its simplicity, but logical construction. It also seemes to be the only sofa with an attached back, thus the highest priced (fabric)
    But before you make this purchase, google quality furniture, shop locally to reduce eliminate delivery, shipping, and when shopping for your piece, sit down with a cup of coffee, tea, whatever and do what you would with it at home, then make a decision.

• steve37205
    12 years ago

I sure wish I'd followed Margie's advice (marjimae@aol.com) on Aug. 18, 2008. She said not to buy a RH piece, and she was right! We bought the Baby Grand Sofa with the down blend cushions about that time, and now three years later, we're buying a new sofa. We had the exact same issues she did. The back cushions on the RH piece, made by Lee, really do look like a bean bag, and they have for a year or two. The seats are very uncomfortable too. When I called Lee, they wouldn't even talk to me, and told me I would have to go back to RH, which was of no help. I called several times two years ago, and they were not responsive. We're buying spring down this weekend, and my strong suggestion is to avoid RH sofas.

• steve37205
    12 years ago

Now, the question is TRS--has anyone purchased a TRS sofa, especially one with Chastworth Down seat cushions? I've never heard of the company, but it's been recommended by several designers, and after sitting on a few, I can understand why. I'm just not sure of how long that feel will last.

• zech80
    12 years ago

I bought a grand scale roll arm with chaises. it cost me like $5000 out the door. The feather began to fall out within the first year. It is completely useless now after 4 years. DO NOT BUY Restoration Hardware sofas. 5k for 4years is terrible.

• Suzanne121
    9 years ago

To get a great price on a RH sofa , find an outlet. There are several in the US. We paid $700 for a slipcovered Grand roll armchair and $1300 for a Belgian Classic roll arm couch. These are both down wrapped with great slipcovers. Which ever outlet is closest to you will send a weekly email letting you know what is coming on the truck that week. The only downside is you need to arrange for delivery if you don't have a truck.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

I agree with Suzanne one of the best places to purchase a set from RH is at one of their outlets. These are usually returns so check it out carefully, but you can get some great buys at an outlet and I think they will also negotiate on the price.

• Zachary Baldwin
    9 years ago

I am a physician who as an anniversary gift for my wife
    bought her a dining room set from Restoration.

Order #10267180

Belgian Slope Arm Slipcovered Armchair

Belgian Ladderback Upholstered Side Chair

Salvaged Wood & Concrete Trestle Rectangular Dining
    Table

Unfortunately, this ended up being one of the worst retail
    experiences I have ever had. I ordered
    10 dining chairs and a trestle table totaling $7000. Almost four months later I have received the
    chairs and yet no table. I've called
    over eight times to the customer service center with promises of "making
    things right." And yet, I still
    have a bunch of chairs and no table to go with it. The company has no explanation for their
    multiple bungles. To make things worse,
    the company has overcharged me over $1500 on the order. While I appreciate the customer service
    agents kind demeanor and verbal willingness to help the customer, ultimately
    they and the company fail miserably on execution. I highly recommend not buying anything
    from Restoration Hardware that you cannot carry out of the store yourself.

• AtomicJay007
    9 years ago

Within the last year, I have purchased over $30,000 worth of furniture from RH. All done online as there is not a RH store anywhere nearby. A large sectional sofa, wood dining room table, outdoor concrete top table with 6 chairs, an outdoor sectional, an outdoor sofa, 2 club chairs and an outdoor coffee table. I also ordered some accessories, such as pillows, light fixtures, and some bed linens.

The most expensive piece, at around $11,000 was the custom sectional sofa in vintage velvet. I will say the sectional is gorgeous. It is strong, sturdy and well put together. The delivery team hired by RH unboxed the sofa, assembled the sections together, inspected the sofa for defects, and removed all the boxing debris. I selected the down/foam cushions. After spending a year with the sectional, I can offer some pros/cons. Pros: cushions are still supportive and firm, vintage velvet fabric has worn incredibly well, and the deep seating option is great for weekend naps. Cons: The pieces are heavy. I mean HEAVY. It takes 2 people just to move a one-seat section of the sofa. The vintage velvet isn't as soft and velvety as I was expecting. Unfortunately I ordered samples and mistakenly asked for the other velvet option on the samples, not the vintage velvet. Totally my error. This velvet was softer, although I'm not sure it would have worn as well.

The outdoor furniture arrived in great condition, is sturdy and I believe will last a long time. It is heavy so wind blowing it around is not a concern. This was also assembled by the delivery team. The concrete table is beautiful, but again HEAVY. It takes no fewer than 4 people to adjust it even slightly. The cushions on the outdoor furniture are thick and incredibly comfortable. They resist stains and have held up quite well in a hot, dry climate.

Now, my biggest disappointment: the wood dining room table. I purchased the 20th C. Reclaimed Pine Trestle Rectangular Dining Table. The table was not at all what I was expecting. The design was accurate to the online pictures, as was the color. However, the quality of the wood was atrocious. I understand I ordered a reclaimed wood table, but mistakenly assumed the wood chosen by RH would be suitable for the ordinary purpose of a dinging table. Wrong. Within a week or two of the table arriving, the wood started to split and splinter. Deep cracks developed along the table top and exposed the unstained sections of wood beneath. The finish is not smooth, which makes cleanup difficult and requires the use of a vacuum to get out the crumbs that fall in the cracks/splintered areas. I believe I paid around $2500 for the table. I could have easily purchased a nearly identical table at Cost Plus World Market for $700. There was nothing about this table that warranted the price or the RH name.

Like Zachary above, the pieces arrived in piecemeal fashion over a period of a couple of months. Never did an entire set arrive at the same time. For example, the concrete table top arrived before the base. The chairs arrived before the table. The chaise portion of the outdoor sectional arrived before the center piece, etc. The cushions arrived in all manner of disorder.

Overall, I am highly satisfied with all of my purchases, except for the dining room table. I will order from RH again.

• skibster
    8 years ago

AtomicJay,

We are looking to purchase a sectional in vintage velvet with the regular not down cushions. Are you still pleased with your sectional (despite the less than soft velvet?

• skibster
    8 years ago

Thanks so much.

• PRO
    interiors nonpareil, inc
    8 years ago

Has anyone purchased the Restoration Hardware 1950's shelter sofa and chair? I'm considering purchasing for a client but our local store doesn't have it on the floor. I'm concerned the tight back and seat may be too firm. There is a no refund policy on this item.

• Lynne Howard
    5 years ago

Has anyone purchased a leather sofa from RH?

• Taraneh Afshar
    4 years ago

Hi there

I am an interior designer and been in the industry over 22 years.

If you are looking for quality stick with hardwood frame kiln dry and eight way hand tied for years to use and be happy.

I also represent more than 30 different manufactures that the upholstery is made in US. In high point where the mother of quality furniture is.

• D M
    4 years ago

So its December 2019, I’m looking to purchase the Cayden campaign rectangular trunk table and the Cayden campaign panel 4-door media console. Has any one purchased these items and are they well made? Also how are deliveries and times. I read a lot of bad reviews but they are from years past. Any recent updates? I also already purchased the Arles rectangular table and 8 Morgan slope arm chairs. I haven’t received them yet, but Hoping the quality is good.

• E Evartt
    4 years ago

Atomicjay007, it’s been a few years but curious what you think now about your RH outdoor furniture? I am considering buying some of their teak pieces, I love the look, but am concerned after reading reviews about their furniture quality in general. Would you buy it again? Had it held up?
    Thank you for any guidance you can give me

• Brooklin Milliere
    4 years ago

i bought the maxwell couch from Leatherfurnitureexpo.com and a fraction of the cost. Kiln wood, down filled.. literally exactly the same. we LOVe our couch.

• Jean Lenke
    3 years ago

Any commentary on the Cambridge Chesterfield Sofa? We like it became of it's depth and solid feel without cushions. We're really tall so we like the oversized furniture and have been very happy with our RH leather Maxwell sleeper sofa.

• Laurel Mcclead
    3 years ago

Also looking for input/experiences on RH leather sofas... their chesterfields in particular

Thanks!

• Laura Smith
    3 years ago

I have the Cambridge sofa in vintage black. After 3 years it was saggy on one side and had lost quite a bit of leather on the seating area so I contacted them and they replaced it. The new one looks better but they went from a 98" sofa to an 8ft one but when measuring it, it actually measures smaller than 8 ft. I also have noticed that when someone gets off it, the other person can feel it, almost like it's not level or build strong enough, it goes up and down. Hard to explain but we're small people. I actually preferred the saggy, missing leather to the new version. If you can find anywhere else to get what you want in a sofa, do it. Restoration Hardware may look pretty but it's not well made unfortunately.

• Cynda Maxon
    3 years ago

We just purchased 2 Maddox sofas from RH. Within 1 month, the piping on one unraveled, down feathers poke out of the material, and the cushions sag, making both sofas look >10 years old. The quality is extremely poor and doesn't resemble anything close to the showroom. We are very disappointed in the quality versus cost, and will never purchase anything from RH again.

• D M
    3 years ago

I’m looking to buy the Italia Chesterfield oak base 9ft and 7 ft sofa in vintage velvet. Has anyone purchased these sofas? How have they worn? It’s now February 2021 any feedback would be very helpful.

• skibster
    3 years ago

We have the sectional in grey vintage velvet. It has been several years now (5 years) but it hasn’t worn that well. The color has faded in spots and is discolored to a sort of yellowish color. I do like the sofa and we may just recover it. It was pretty expensive.

• sheriberardi
    2 years ago

Unfortunately I too bought furniture from Restoration Hardware (RH). I bought two of the Churchill Recliners with nailheads. The leather is of poor quality and the cushions are only one sided and after just 6 months of use they are flat. The price was extremely high, the wait long and the quality very poor. I now know why they don’t have any customer reviews on their website.