Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pottery Barn Sofa vs Lee

Posted by daphne94 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 12:19

After 10 years of owning a oversized Thomasville leather sofa I decided I would like to purchase either 2 new oversized sofas or a small sectional with a chaise and 1 sofa. I recently moved and the old sofa doesn't fit the space and endured 3 children being potty trained, a dog(no longer with us),and years of wear and tear.

I narrowed my search down to 2 brands Lee and Pottery Barn.
I like both because they have slip cover sofas that are machine washable, both have deep seating, and the look I am interested in.

The pros of the Pottery Barn are the microsuede, which is allegedly indestructible, replaceable covers if need be, the configurations and sizes I need.

If I go with the 2 sofas from PB I will go with the Basic Grand brand because I prefer the 3 cushion couch. If I decide on the sectional I will go with the
Comfort Brand because that sectional is available in the deep seating (Chaise and sofa component) and a matching Comfort Grand sofa.

PB Cons I am worried about quality, and its a little pricey.

Lee has a sofa model # 3917, I would purchase 2, which is comparable to the PB Basic Grand, slightly less expensive but with Sunbrella velvet fabric. Cons are that it is not as stain resistant as the PB slip cover and not quite as deep.

If I go with the sectional I like Lee model #7117 (chaise and sofa component) and then separate piece 1 couch from the same series. All same size as the PB Grand but with Sunbrella fabric.

So it's Lee vs. PB. Has anyone had experience with either? Does the PB microsuede really hold up well? Any experience with either's sofa quality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pottery Barn Sofa vs Lee

imho, i hate microsuede. it's unmistakably fake looking ...and looks cheap. i'm sorry, but i had to be honest. especially since you are comparing PB to a reputable company like lee. i have been dealing with them a lot lately as i purchased two sofas from them (linen slipcovers w/down-feather cushions) as well as a velvet bed for my daughter. both orders were customized: the sofas i chose came with two seat cushions. i prefer one, so they gave me one at no additional charge. the bed is a little different in that i wanted the same height headboard and footboard so it would resemble a day bed. there was a slight up charge but if i remember correctly it was only $100.
you should consult with your dealer on any design changes you'd like, or perhaps they could recommend a different model that would satisfy. also: quality aside, i tend to steer clear of the retail chains as they are without fail more expensive. crate & barrel sells lee, but you'll pay a higher markup.
as for the durability of microsuede, i can't answer. i'd never drink wine out of a plastic cup either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here