Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..?

Posted by AcidPop (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 12:12

I'm a recent college graduate looking to buy my first bedroom set. Given the economy, I wasn't able to find a great job even though I worked my butt off in college. So although I could afford a $5000 set with money I have in the bank, I don't want to. It wouldn't be a smart move for me at the moment. I'm really looking for a bedroom set (including the bed, a nightstand, and a dresser) that doesn't cost over $2000, as I also want to buy a curio cabinet for my room. My question is, can I get decent quality furniture for this price, and if so, what brands should I be looking at? I've already found a Broyhill set (the attic heirloom collection?) that I liked, as the mink finish was very unique, but I found pretty poor reviews for them online. I then found a Vaughan-Bassett set I like, but once again found a lot of people bad-mouthing them. Now, I know that there will always be negative reviews for pretty much every company, but I'm terrified of spending over $1000 on furniture that will only last a few years. I want something much more durable. I DON'T want to have to repurchase furniture in 5 years. Can anyone help me? I feel so overwhelmed at the moment between trying to find this furniture and a decent mattress.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan

Get to an antiques shop....or a resale consignment shop. You will find a lot better quality for less money than the new shop...
For $2000 you won't find a "set" of any sort of good quality. You will need to spend a minimum of $500 on mattress and box springs. That leaves only $1500 for dresser night stand curio cabinet and perhaps a chair or bench.
Get to a resale shop or Craigs list. Remember, buying furniture is much like buying a car...if you buy "previously owned" you miss that brand new feel, but someone else has already taken the major hit on the cost.

o

I've been browsing Craigslist but most of what I'm finding is old-fashioned, heavy looking pieces in light oak. The exact opposite of what I want. The only antique stores near us are priced to the extreme. Definitely not affordable.

o

If you can wait, keep looking on Craigslist - you never know what might show up. Search my manufacturer, i.e. Broyhill, Ethan Allen, etc and also search by "bedroom".

Here is an example of what is on my local CL today.

Another way to save money would be to buy something similary to this, and look for an iron bed. I love that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Heirloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here