Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Smaller scale sofa and chairs...

mlo1
10 years ago

After much looking my wife is considering Drexel Heritage petite sized sofa and chairs. We like to buy quality US items and typically would not consider this brand but fit is the most important aspect. This furniture will be used daily. We also desire a traditional styling with details such as a sock arm, tight back, tall skirt, etc.

I see concerns surrounding Drexel's continued viability. If the Drexel items were to be ordered with eight-way hand tied springs and their upgraded spring hybrid cushions, does is it make it worthy as a decent piece of furniture? or simply add to the cost of long term disappointment?

Any other choices fitting our criteria in a similarly sized 36d x 37h seating?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Check out Lee Industries sofas. They have classic sofas in "apartment size", ie: tightbacks, English roll arms, casters for feet, etc. Lee makes sofas for Crate and Barrel, and as far as I've read their quality is very good. Ask if the legs are screwed on or are part of the frame. That is one telltale sign of a well-made sofa, along with eight-way hand-tied.

Approach the cushion separately. One commenter here noted natural latex cushions as being the longest lasting and most resilient, but you'll pay and arm and a leg for them. Ask if they can make your cushion with Bayer Ultracel foam, and then, depending on the firmness and density you want, pick your specs. I have a Hickory Chair Olivier sofa arriving mid-Oct., and Hickory Chair (great customer service, btw, but very pricey) was able to make the bench cushion at my request using Ultracel foam with specs 2.5/25. The latex commenter says this is a medium firm, and I checked with Hickory Chair and they say it is very firm and resilient. There is no upcharge by Hickory Chair for the Ultracel.

This is where I got the initial info. about the Ultracel, and you can Google it further:

http://www.letstalkfurniture.com/interview-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-furniture-cushions/

Also, to me, the seat height of a sofa is very important, and most are 18 or 19 inches, which is pretty low, in my opinion. Hickory Chair's are 21, another reason I went with Hickory Chair. I don't like my knees in my face!

Good luck!

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

Their really isnt any reason to forgo the standard Drexel Enduroflex drop-in sinuous wire spring seat and get 8-way tied coil springs. These units are manufactured by Hickory Springs and they are well designed and engineered for long term support and comfort.
    Also both Drexel Heritage and Lee Industries use the same type and engineered plywood frames. The plywood is 15/16 poplar core plys. And both get their cushions from outside foam fabricators. So they will have comparable or equal quality seating options.
    I suggest to go with the Drexel and not upgrade to 8-way, it just isnt worth the added costs.
    Tomorrow I will be in the Drexel plant in Longview and if given the opportunity will do a closer inspection of their spring hybrid cushion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory Springs Enduroflex spring units

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

Yes Tibbrix, usually Latex is very expensive upgrade, but for one manufacturer the cost is only about 165.00 for their sofa upgrade to Latex seat cushions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Latex upgrade

• mlo1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Giving Drexel a hard look in the hopes of making an order, I looked at some used local stuff. While it was not specked with the upgrades and tight-back we desire I think there is some rationale to these being considered 3-5 years pieces. That does not really fit my idea of value so I will continue looking. Thanks to those whom chimed in.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

LEE makes their sofas with kiln-dried hard wood, with doweled and blocked joints...

http://www.leeindustries.com/aboutWhyChoose.asp

• jionescu
    10 years ago

Please check out Hancock and Moore. I purchased the garden sofa 2 months ago after looking everywhere for a smaller scale sofa and am very pleased. New sofa is a replacement for the original Hancock and Moore purchased over 19 years ago! Hancock and Moore customer service and warranty is excellent. They replaced my sofa cushions at year 18 for no cost. My son is now enjoying the older sofa. I did order the upgraded cushions and everyone loves to sit and sleep on this sofa.
    Cannot say enough good things about Hancock and Moore. 19 years for a sofa in a house with 3 boys and 1 girl is what i call awesome construction.

• mlo1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for everyone's help. I am trying hard to find samples which to test sit. It is proving difficult. So is finding a showroom with staff familiar or desiring to help with some of these labels.