Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who manufactures Macy's furniture?

Posted by christnrn (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 9:31

A friend of mine is in a hurry to purchase bedroom furniture and is considering two sets he found at Macy's. One is the Tea Trade Collection, and the other is the Corniche Collection. He says when he asked who makes the sets he was told only that they are both "exclusive to Macy's" and that Donald Trump helped design the Corniche Collection. The saleslady could give him no further information.

I was wondering if anyone here has any idea who the manufacturers might be, or any advice regarding purchasing furniture from Macy's. I've never dealt with them, and I'm worried my friend is making a poorly informed, hasty decision. Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea Trade Furniture Collection

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who manufactures Macy's furniture?

I am not sure who manufactures Macy's furntiture, but I suspect several companies do. They probably do have "exclusive to Macy's" lines. I can tell you that all of the furniture they sell if middle of the road, not the cheapest there is but not quality either, about what you would find in your "average" furniture store.
As for Donald Trump. He is dabbling in furniture design. I have three of his Office chairs, the Briarwood is the model, I like them quite a bit and got them all on clearance. I don't know that I would have liked them at full price.
If your friend goes with the Macy's items he will not be getting heirloom last a lifetime furniture, but he should be as well off as most furniture buyers out there.
If he is IN A HURRY he probably is not looking for long, long lasting furniture anyway.

o

Macy's furniture is average? Shock to me. Who has good furniture then that doesn't cause bankruptcy?
gramma jan

o

I wouldn't even call most of it average.

We bought a kitchen/dining set from them. While it is heavy, that's about all you can say for it. The finish scratches when you dust. The black paint has a weird haze on it and you can see Chinese red bleed through on the pedestal. One little knick and a whole chunk of wood came out on the side.

People used to spend more of their budget on good furniture. Now, with all the 'service' spending (cable, internet, cell phone, etc), there's not as much money left to throw around.

It's going to get worse. Shipping is going to go through the roof so those great Chinese "bargains" are going to get pricey, also.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to attack another nation or trying to wave the flag here, it's just that most of what's coming over, isn't too hot. That includes most of the middle/high end retailers, too.

o

Many furniture manufacturers/importers sell to Macy's. Typically, Macy's will ask the company to make certain changes to an existing line to make it more "exclusive" to them.

As you might expect, the quality and pricing varies from supplier to supplier.

o

I was furniture shopping in Macy's a couple of weeks ago. The sales gal told me that most of Macy's case goods (non-upholstered furniture) comes from Asia, and most upholstered furniture is U.S. made.

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here