Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swansoncreek

Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.

KJ W
12 years ago

Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability. It will get a lot of use and we have a small dog. Which of these brands are best?

The store also sells Lane and Flexsteel.

I'm short on time so I'll have to go with what I can find locally.

Comments (20)

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much. Great information.

I've also found a nearby store that sells Smith Brothers. I think they are suppose to be very good quality as well.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Yes. Check it out.

~Jeana

• Dr_jitsu
    12 years ago

My house is mostly Henredon and Bernhardt, however I am primarily buying Hancock and Moore for my HT seating.

My Henredon is all made in North Carolina, as is my Bernhardt.

However it is my understanding that Henredon is now made in China and the quality is down dramatically. Not sure if the same is happening w/ Bernhardt.

My Bernhardt is lso solid wood, the question is are they still using solid wood?

In regards to leather, as has been noted, bonded is only 15% real leather. Many are now using married covers which are real 100% top grain that is tanned and cut in China.

That stuff is good quality and Handcock and Moore uses it for their lower priced models. I just bought a MC recliner for $2k in MC full grain analine and the leather was excellent.

It is my understanding that others are not as stringent. Flexsteel is still supposed to be very good, Lane is pretty much junk.

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think this might be my favorite. Its priced around 1800-1900.
    I was able to sit on some from Smith Bros and I was hoping to find something from them, but they just didnt have tbe shape I was looking for. I want something you can really lounge on.

What do we think of this Bernhardt Foster? Will it last?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt Foster Sofa

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

It seems fine for the price point, but I'd like to see at least a 3yr warranty on the seat cushions.

Is there a Bassett store near you??? The Bradford or Custom Classics would be good. With Custom Classics, you can choose the arm style, nailhead trim, you have your choice of 50 leathers, you have your choice of leg finish. Also seat comfort choice of blendown, sping down, firm or standard - all with lifetime warranty on cushions. The Bradford has a married leather only & no other custom choices, but that's why it's priced less. Bassett is a very good brand & good customer service. (I worked for them, so I know)

~Jeana

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll look around. Never would have thought of Bassett.

If the cushions go flat, couldn't I have new foam put in it. I'm talking about any sofa with zippered cushions ? Wonder what that would cost.

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now the husband has thrown a wrench in my plan, he wants something with a chaise on it. Any suggestions?

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Yes of course you can get new cores for any sofa. Foam prices have skyrocketed though (there's actually an interesting story about the foam industry, but I won't bore you with that)...ANYWAY, for new cores that are a good high quality density, you would pay about $250 or more for 3 cushions. To me, that's a lot of money for one aspect of a sofa. So you might as well have them warrantied for life. Bassett also has chaise styles, but again, stick with their Custom line.

~Jeana

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Took the husband shopping last night. We ended up liking a sofa, chair and ottoman from Smith Brothers in leather. I looked at swatches that were analine, semi-analine and protected. They said the protected would likely be best for us because of our dog. They also offered a
    5 year care package (For a fee of course) that covers any defects and most damage, not claw or chew related.

The whole thing was around $5k so I had to sleep on it.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Glad you found a new set!!! You should be very happy with Smith Bros!!! I agree on the protected. As for the additional warranty, that should be for accidents that are not pet related except for urine & vomit. It probably won't cover manufacturer defects. Who's the protection warranty from???

~Jeana

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That extra warranty (5 yr) might be from the store then, Homemakers. Added about 250. to the total. We are hard on furniture so it seemed worth it.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Please look at the document that you should've received with the extended warranty. Store do not extend manufacturer warranties.

~Jeana

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke with an interior designer yesterday that also said that extra store warranty isn't really a great deal.

She also suggested I go look at leather sofas at Ethan Allen before making my decision. She said they'd be in my price range, around 2500.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

EA is also a good choice.

As for the warranty, if you can tell me what the parameters are of the warranty & the name of the actual company guarnateeing it, I can tell you if it's a good deal or not. I know EVERY warranty company in the industry.

~Jeana

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll find out who provides the warranty, the store was Homemakers in Des Moines.

Going to EA tomorrow.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

I suggest that test your pet in how it will react to leathers and also the specific leather you will have on your sofa. This may be hard to get from some manufacturers. Some dogs and cats will and can destroy leather furniture, usually when no one is at home. This is almost never covered by any warranty, you must read the fine print and not what the salesperson is telling you.

• KJ W
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My search is over. Ordered a Smith Bros sofa in leather and a chair and ottoman in fabric. I think I will be very happy.

• sjbrewer26
    9 years ago

Does Thomasville use bonded leather on any of their sofas? I saw a Thomasville leather sofa with recliners on both ends at HomeGoods for $800 but don't know how to find out what type of leather it's made from.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I'm sure the sofa is gone now and you either got it or didn't, but bonded leather is pretty easy to distinguish by looking and feeling it. It is stiffer and will have you questioning whether it is leather or vinyl. I have only seen bonded in black or dark brown. I wouldn't expect Thomasville to use bonded leather -- sounds like it was a good buy if the reclining mechanisms were in good shape -- but next time you have a question, you are more likely to get a timely reply if you post a new thread rather than adding on to a three or four year old one.