Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keyser_gw

Canadel vs. Saloom

keyser
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm writing this mainly to get ideas or observations that we might be overlooking. We're looking to buy a kitchen table, and have pretty much narrowed it down to one from Canadel or one from Saloom. The price is about the same, but there are several other differences. The main issues seem to be:

- The Canadel table is 40x60, then expands to a 60x60 square (then to 60x80). The Saloom starts as a 54x54 square then expands to 54x62 (then to 54x80).

- We would choose to get wooden seats on the Canadel set, and upholstered (with fabric treatment) on the Saloom set. Honestly, I think we find the Canadel chairs a bit more comfortable, and the Saloom ones a bit more stylish.

- Canadel's table is made from Birch, Saloom's from Maple.

- The Saloom furniture does seem to be somewhat better made, though we couldn't compare side-by-side.

This would be our regular, everyday table. We're a family of 3 (2 adults and a 4 year old) and want something practical for everyday use, but want the ability to expand the table quite a bit for guests. We want something durable that's going to last a while (the catalyzed varnish finishes are part of what led us to Canadel and Saloom).

I'd appreciate any advice or feedback, but here are some specific questions I'd love input on:

- If you have used a 54x54 table, how well does it work for everyday use? The 40x60 seems like it might be more usable (e.g. playing a boardgame at the table, or anything where you'd like to be able to reach across the table a fair bit).

- How well do upholstered chairs (with the fabric treatments they'd put on them) hold up? Would this be a mistake for everyday use (with a young kid)?

- If you have a Canadel Birch-top table, how well has it held up over time? We saw one in a showroom that had been repeatedly dented (by a Lazy susan with a protruding screw on the bottom) - should we expect it to be more susceptible to dents?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Comments (12)

• mogator88
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you saw them side by side you wouldn't be asking this question... you'd have bought the Saloom. There's no comparison. You can search my other postings for more details.

As for the size, Saloom I think used to make a 40x60 that opened to 60x60. Nobody bought it. I know we never sold it.

The maple will hold up much better, the chairs will hold up much better. I took home a Canadel set from work some years ago, the chairs tipped over easy and had to be repaired twice. I've never had a Saloom chair come back for repairs. I'm replacing the Canadel with Saloom. Wifey can't wait till it comes in.

• amyf5
    17 years ago

I bought a Saloom kitchen table about 18 months ago and I am very happy with it. It's maple. I think it's about 42X90 with both leaves and that's a great size for us. I have upholstered chairs - a sandy creamy color. I also have a 4-year-old and a 1-year-old. I am almost positive the fabric is NOT chemically treated for stain resistance. However, I have been able to remove food stains from the fabric pretty easily. The wood is holding up well too. This is the table we use at every meal. Hope this helps. Amy

• carolyn53562
    17 years ago

We have a Saloom maple kitchen table (42 x 60 plus one leaf) with upholstered chairs. We've only had it a few months, but really like it. I did spray Scotchgard on the cushions as I think that the other poster was correct that they do not come with scotchgard. Everything we've spilled has wiped right off. The wood is gorgeous! I have never owned a canadel table, but have looked at them and it was my unexpert impression that the Saloom was nicer, but I already had my heart set on the Saloom when I saw the Canadel so it probably wasn't a fair comparison. Good luck.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

The link below is to a thread in the woodworking forum about my Saloom table. I am now very disappointed in my table. It turns out that Saloom's warranty is not as good as the warranties of other manufacturer's (i.e., it excludes checks) and also Saloom has absolutely no contact information on its web site and when you do figure out how to contact them, they make it very clear that they do not want to talk to you. A very limited warranty coupled with no customer service department increases the odds that you will be a disappointed customer. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg011608486946.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about my Saloom table

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

I forgot to add to my prior post that not only does Saloom's warranty not cover checks, but it includes language that makes you believe that that checks are natural occurences and are never the manufacturer's fault so it is reasonable for the purchaser to be 100% responsible for checks. If you read the thread about my table in the woodworking forum, you will find that experienced woodworkers in that forum believe that Saloom's statement is not true and that checks are often the fault of the manufacturer (either the manufacturer's uses wood that is too dry or improper fastening techniques).

• mogator88
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I think its also fair to add that you didn't pursue this problem promptly. I've sold their products for 10 years and the manufacturing quality is superb. When I've had a problem I've reported it promptly and its been taken care of promptly.

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with getting this resolved, but for anyone else reading this, when you have a problem, report it immediately, and if you don't get satisfaction then continue calling and visiting the store until you do. Don't wait a year or more to get serious about it, MOST furniture warranties are for 1 year.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

mogator, it is fair to add that I did not pursue my problem promptly, but it is also fair to add that I did not pursue my problem because checks are specifically excluded from the warranty. As Saloom's warranty reads, once the customer accepts delivery of a table then all checks are the customer's responsibility. Maybe Saloom will do something if a customer pursues a claim for checks within one year of purchase. However, given the language in its warrany, there is no guarantee that Saloom will, in fact, do anything to fix a table that developes checks within one year of purchase, even if the check is due to a defect in materials or workmanship, and customers need to be aware of that when they purchase a table.

Also, I think it is fair to point out that the language in the warranty implies that the causes of checks are beyond Saloom's control so you think it is natural to get checks and, since checks are expressly excluded, you don't pursue the problem (at least not until you get mad enough about it). I think that my statements that Saloom's warranty is more limited than most other manufacturers' warranties because it specifically excludes checks is correct. I also think that the language in Saloom's warranty that implies that the causes of checks are beyond Saloom's control is deceptive because checks can be caused by defective materials (i.e., wood that is excessively dry because it was improperly kiln dried by the supplier of the wood) or workmanship (i.e., improper attachment of wood top to bottom). Finally, I also think that my statement that Saloom has no customer service department is correct (it has aboslutely no contact information on its website--no street address, no mailing address, no telephone number, no fax number, and no email address--- and if you do figure out how to contact them they will tell you that they do not want to be contacted by purchasers of their products). People who are thinking of purchasing Saloom tables need to be aware of all of these things. Checks are rare occurences, but when it happens to you its 100%.

In fairness, here's the full paragraph from Saloom's warranty, maybe other people won't think that it is deceptive like I do:

"All furniture is built in environmentally controlled conditions. Humidity and temperature are highly regulated in our factories. However, wood will expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity and Saloom Furniture Co. Inc. will not replace a table that has a slight gap either in the center or at the ends where the two table halves meet. This is normal movement and will change with changing conditions/seasons. Care must be taken to control the temperature and humidity in the area where the furniture is placed. Checking or splitting of natural wood products along a "wood grain line" is a condition which may or may not occur in these wood products and is usually the result of excessive dryness of the wood, and therefore, this condition is expressly excluded from the terms and conditions of this limited warranty."

It is fair for Saloom to exclude checks from its warranty if it wants to. However, I think that the "spin" that it put on the exclusion is deceptive and misleads customers into thinking that checks are a common occurence and are not the fault of the manufacturer. Saloom controls the wood that it uses in its products and IMO should be responsible for defects in that wood. If you read my thread in the woodworking forum, you will find that the people over think it would be just about impossible for the excessive dryness to be caused by the customer's home.

• mogator88
    16 years ago

I read, and replied to, your thread in that forum. Customer service for Saloom products is handled through the dealer. If you don't like that concept, then don't ever buy a new car because they do it the same way - you complain to the dealer not to GM. And there are many furniture brands that have the same policy.

In fact, recently the subject of warranty for American Drew came up. There is NO warranty information on their website so... do they even have a warranty? Who knows! They also don't list a phone number, just "suite 101" at a certain address. Probably just a big bin in the foyer. And, American Drew is owned by La-Z-Boy!!!

As I said in my WW forum reply, I remember when they had a more liberal warranty, and I'd like it to be longer than it currently is. But, I've seen the competition, and sold the competition, and they leave a lot to be desired. Had you put the same timely effort into resolving your problem that you're putting into this conversation, you'd be a lover of Saloom too.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

mogator-thanks for your reply. I do regret not putting more effort into resolving my problem earlier, but I really did think that I stuck with my checks. I am posting so others will not make the same mistakes that I did. I have learned a lot from the effort that I have put into this conversation, so I don't think it was wasted, and I really appreciate the time people have taken to share information with me. However, I want to share what I have learned with others so they don't make the same mistakes I did. Also, since this thread includes an October 2006 post from me recommending Saloom, I felt compelled to modify my recommendation.

So, what I want other consumers to know is that:

1. Saloom's warranty does not cover checks. Checks can be a big deal. When your table is delivered, inspect it closely for checks. If you find checks after your have accepted delivery, contact the dealer as soon as possible and hope, but do not expect because checks are expressly excluded from coverage, that Saloom will do something about it.

2. Don't misread Saloom's statement in its warranty as meaning that checks are never the manufacturer's fault. Checks can be caused by defective materials or workmanship. This is important because if you are considering a different manufacturer's table and that manufacturer's warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship, then that manufacturer's warranty covers things that are not covered by Saloom's warranty. That doesn't mean that the other manufacturer's table is better than Saloom's table, but it is a difference that you should be aware of before you purchase your table.

3. Know that you will have to deal with the furniture store to resolve any issues with your Saloom furniture. Choose a store that you trust, that you like to work with, and that you think will be around for at least a year after you purchase your furniture.

Tiny cracks in a table may not seem like a big deal, but they become a big deal IMO when the finish around the little cracks starts to pull away and looks like it is going to start flaking off. Unfortunately, it takes some time after the checks develop for the finish to start to separate from the table. So if you have checks in your table, don't assume that the little cracks are the whole problem as it is likely that the finish will eventually fail around the little cracks.

Saloom may still be the best deal for a person in a particular price/style range, but hopefully a person who buys Saloom after reading this thread will be smarter than I was about their purchase! The two checks in my table were 1/2" or smaller when the table was delivered and were only noticeable if the light hit them just right. My husband did not notice the checks when the table was delivered and who knows if I would have either becasue the table was delivered during the day and it is even harder to see them during the day. Unfortunatley, I will never know if Saloom would have done anything to fix my table if I had notified it of the checks within the first few months that I owned the table. Maybe another Saloom owner will be able to tell us the answer to that.

• Ortoverde
    10 years ago

We're thinking of buying a Saloom table, and we were wondering if a glass-top would damage the finish. The top would have plastic spacers, one inch in diameter. Thanks for your help.

• wlc15
    5 years ago

I would also warn against purchasing furniture from Saloom. Here is a copy of my correspondence with them regarding a dining table purchase. They took no accountability for their damaged products.

These are copies of correspondence between myself and Saloom customer service. This will serve as my review:

I ordered a round Boylston table. The first table was delivered with a split in the piece of wood that attaches the top of the table to the bottom. I guess I can understand how something like this might slip through inspection. Many weeks later, my replacement table was delivered. This one was delivered with a split in the base and very noticeable touch ups. The flaws are very obvious and it puzzles me how it was sent out this way. Although the table is absolutely beautiful, I am concerned about the quality of the furniture I have chosen to purchase. Reviews of your furniture are great, so I was not expecting this. I have had to spent 2 afternoons waiting for delivery trucks. And now will have to do it for a 3rd time. I am wondering if you will consider any compensation for the inconvenience and my time. I am also requesting that someone will please be sure that the next piece you send me will be inspected before delivering it to me. Thank you so much for any attention you can give this matter.

Response from Saloom:

Thank you for contacting us. I do apologize for all the failures &

inconveniences you are experiencing with our product & delivery.

Unfortunately, I cannot assist in this matter. You would need to

address this request directly with Furnitureland South.