Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

recliner sofa - brand recommendation wanted

myrtle_59
16 years ago

I want to buy a recliner sofa which has good mechanics and choice of fabric or leather. I have a lazy boy recliner chair that was expensive and has held up well for 7 or 8 years but I don't know if the brand is still as reliable. I want something sturdy but don't want to spend $4500. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also looking for recommendations on slipcovered furniture or upholstered pieces in general. Sturdy but reasonably priced. Any recent experience with Arhaus or Norwalk?
    Is Arhaus overpriced?

• kmealy
    16 years ago

I do repair work for the local Norwalk franchise.

"Sturdy but reasonably priced" is a good description. We are looking for new upholstered furniture and they are on the top of our short list. My only problem is deciding between all the fabric choices.

One thing I can tell you (regardless of brand) is that the little parachute pull (cable) footrest releases commonly break. Look for a model with a lever pull.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. The uphostered pieces we have now are Norwalk and held up fine for the last 10 or 15 years except they are kind of dirty. Wish I could have slipcovers made like in the old days. The recliner and new purchases are for an addition. I am going to Norwalk store today. Thanks for the tip on the cables breaking on recliners.

• kmealy
    16 years ago

I can tell you that if they look dirty, they are probably really dirty. You know they can usually be cleaned, especially if they are W or WS cleaning code (water cleanable). Even many S (dry clean) fabrics can be carefully water cleaned -- rayon, silk, and 100% cotton are the usual exceptions.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What's your preferred method of cleaning the whole piece to freshen it up (as opposed to spot cleaning or removing visible dirt)? I am not crazy about adding a lot of chemicals and have not been too happy with professional carpet cleaners handling of furniture.

• kmealy
    16 years ago

I use water cleaning & extraction 99% of the time. My go-to cleaner is a detergent (emulsifier) that has enzymes to break down protein (food and body fluids). Probably 80% of the time, this is all I use.

If the stains are specific and not responding to this, I then use other cleaners. Besides emulsifiers, there are varieties of pH that various stains respond to, and stain removers that add or remove oxygen to allow the stain to be removed. Yes, it's applied chemistry, but water is a chemical. It's not much different than your laundry or dish sink.

"Dry cleaning" uses a completely different class of chemicals. Besides being difficult to find someone that does this, it is not very effective (to ineffective) on ordinary soils.

But before I do anything, I always check an obscure spot for compatibility.

There are people out there who can successfully clean upholstered furniture.

• nykatemar1943
    15 years ago

Does anyone know the quality of Best recliner sofa or chairs. The company goes under the name of Best Chairs Inc. and Best Home Furnishings out of IN. The furniture is relatively inexpensive and I don't want to buy if the motion mechanism may break quickly. This furniture is sold at Raymour and Flanigan which is in NY. AS always, your help is appreciated.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

ny, I posted on your thread. Maybe I will add here, my sis does have a best sofa and it is fine. I'd just be careful of fabric choice (pattern)..see my other post